Language change (German→English)

"Thomas Uwe Grüttmüller"
Hi wiki fans

I have a question: What would be the easiest way to change the default language of a wiki from German to English?

I have a wiki about free music, located on a virtual server:
  http://musik.uni-guehlen.de

At the time of the installation, I chose German, but now I think it would be useful to a lot more people if its default language was English, and if a multilingual approach was used such as the one used at commons.wikimedia.org.

So what do I have to do to switch
* the default of the user interface
* the prefix of each namespace (e.g. from “Vorlage:” to “template:”)
* other language specific stuff

Thanks,
  Thomas

Re: Language change (German→English)

monkey-3
Oh yes, I'd be really interested in some answers and hints too.

I've tried to change my wiki's main language and encountered some more
problems, namely:
* the german umlauts
* some tags that are different in german than in english, e.g
[[Kategorie:...]] vs. [[Category:...]]

2011/11/5 "Thomas Uwe Grüttmüller" <[hidden email]>

> Hi wiki fans
>
> I have a question: What would be the easiest way to change the default
> language of a wiki from German to English?
>
> I have a wiki about free music, located on a virtual server:
>  http://musik.uni-guehlen.de
>
> At the time of the installation, I chose German, but now I think it would
> be useful to a lot more people if its default language was English, and if
> a multilingual approach was used such as the one used at
> commons.wikimedia.org.
>
> So what do I have to do to switch
> * the default of the user interface
> * the prefix of each namespace (e.g. from “Vorlage:” to “template:”)
> * other language specific stuff
>
> Thanks,
>  Thomas
> --
> NEU: FreePhone - 0ct/min Handyspartarif mit Geld-zurück-Garantie!

Re: Language change (German→English)

Platonides
On 05/11/11 22:41, "Thomas Uwe Grüttmüller" wrote:

> Hi wiki fans
>
> I have a question: What would be the easiest way to change the default language of a wiki from German to English?
>
> I have a wiki about free music, located on a virtual server:
>   http://musik.uni-guehlen.de
>
> At the time of the installation, I chose German, but now I think it would be useful to a lot more people if its default language was English, and if a multilingual approach was used such as the one used at commons.wikimedia.org.
>
> So what do I have to do to switch
> * the default of the user interface
> * the prefix of each namespace (e.g. from “Vorlage:” to “template:”)
> * other language specific stuff

Just set $wgLanguageCode = "en"; where you have $wgLanguageCode = "de";
in your LocalSettings.
The user interfacedefault and the namespace prefixes will change back to
English. Which mean that links to eg. [[Diskussion:Foo]] won't work
anymore, as it is now [[Talk:Foo]].
You'll need to add aliases for each of them.

Re: Language change (German→English)

Olivier Beaton
You may need to run rebuildMessages.php (may have different case) in
the maintenance folder after changing the code.

In the case of renamed links, for those that are not dynamically
generated somehow, you can use replaceText extension to do a
search+replace of all links in all articles.

Have fun!

- Olivier

Olivier Beaton wrote:
> In the case of renamed links, for those that are not dynamically
> generated somehow, you can use replaceText extension to do a
> search+replace of all links in all articles.

If the old names are added as an alias, he wouldn't need to mass-replace
links.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 23:27:40 +0100
> Von: Platonides <[hidden email]>

> Just set $wgLanguageCode = "en"; where you have $wgLanguageCode = "de";
> in your LocalSettings.

Thanks. I didn't expect it to be that easy :-) Yay.

> The user interfacedefault and the namespace prefixes will change back to
> English. Which mean that links to eg. [[Diskussion:Foo]] won't work
> anymore, as it is now [[Talk:Foo]].
> You'll need to add aliases for each of them.

There are only fifty pages or so. So I think I can change the links manually.