Large core dumps found in home directory

Large core dumps found in home directory

Derrick Coetzee
Hi all, I noticed today I had several large core dumps in my home directory, and two buried under my public_html directory. The directories I found them in contained no executables and as far as I know were not working directories for executables (just PHP scripts used by the web server), so I can't imagine how they got there.

-rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 191463424 May  5 06:56 core

-rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 38797312 Sep 29  2012 core

This exceeded my hard quota without my knowledge. Any idea what's up with this? Can I prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks.

--
Derrick Coetzee
User:Dcoetzee

Re: Large core dumps found in home directory

MZMcBride-2
Derrick Coetzee wrote:
> Hi all, I noticed today I had several large core dumps in my home
>directory, and two buried under my public_html directory. The directories
>I found them in contained no executables and as far as I know were not
>working directories for executables (just PHP scripts used by the web
>server), so I can't imagine how they got there.

You can run "pstack core" to try to figure out what went wrong. I've never
found pstack's output particularly useful, but it at least can usually
identify the specific script that's causing the issue.

MZMcBride

Re: Large core dumps found in home directory

Platonides
On 19/06/13 00:12, Derrick Coetzee wrote:

> Hi all, I noticed today I had several large core dumps in my home
> directory, and two buried under my public_html directory. The
> directories I found them in contained no executables and as far as I
> know were not working directories for executables (just PHP scripts used
> by the web server), so I can't imagine how they got there.
>
> -rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 191463424 May  5 06:56 core
>
> -rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 38797312 Sep 29  2012 core
>
> This exceeded my hard quota without my knowledge. Any idea what's up
> with this? Can I prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks.
>
> --
> Derrick Coetzee
> User:Dcoetzee

The php fastcgi script crashed and left a useless core.

This has happened for a long time, see
https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-1505 but it had (apparently) been
fixed, so perhaps it got reintroduced when the web servers were
reconfigured?