LibraryThings

KIZU Naoko
Hoi
I created my account on LibraryThing and try their translation system.
It is like BetaWiki somehow but they have a evaluation system (see
http://jp.librarything.com/translate.php?page=3559844052 for example).
I think it cool. (btw I like the feature on Google Translation with
which you can submit your alternate translation).

While we have already talk page for every page and flagging /
evaluation system on MediaWiki I don't feel it is as handy as they
are. Can we alternate the current system or is anyone already working
on?

Just a wondering,

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: LibraryThings

alain_desilets
RE: [Translators-l] LibraryThings

Hum... I wish I could read Japanese!

I just managed to register (using Google Translate to figure out the captions of links and buttons). But I can't figure out how to do any translation work because all the links and menu items are in Japanese. Is there a way to set preferences to tell the system I want menus and dialogs to be in say, English? I couldn't find a preferences item anywhere (using Google Translate).

Alain

Re: LibraryThings

alain_desilets
RE: [Translators-l] LibraryThings

Nevermind. I just figured out that if I substitude jp to us in the URL, the system talks to me in English.

I'm now looking for their translation system but can't find it. How do I see it in action?

Alain

Re: LibraryThings

KIZU Naoko
Hi,
the website itself is an English site (sorry), try
http://librarything.com instead. Or I guess they have also
http://fr.librarything.com ...

The link I sent was a translation platform of a certain page: they
seem to atomize items and invite their registered people to submit
their translation for each item. Some atomization / separation of
choice how words are grouped seems wrong, but it is fairly common ways
in localization of softwares (try Special:AllMessages on your favorite
Wikipedia).

If you are non-English version on their website, untranslated part
will be given in English, yellow backgrounded. You can 1) submit your
translation which seem to be reviewed before being published or 2)
evaluate each atomized unit in a binary way (good or bad). The second
feature, evaluation, we do not have on Wikimedia translation or
Mediawiki localization yet, and I would like to incorporate for years.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Desilets, Alain
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nevermind. I just figured out that if I substitude jp to us in the URL, the
> system talks to me in English.
>
> I'm now looking for their translation system but can't find it. How do I see
> it in action?
>
> Alain

OK, I get it. Now that I went to the fr site (which I can read), I see a yellow tranlsate link at the top right occasionally.

I will play around with it a bit.

Alain