Licensing update: Final steps

Erik Moeller-4
All,

after some internal discussion with the licensing update committee,
I'm proposing the following final site terms to be implemented on all
Wikimedia projects that currently use GFDL as their primary content
license, as well as the relevant multimedia templates:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation

Please note that these aren't quite yet ready for translation yet
(hence labeled draft). Please provide feedback here or on the talk
page, ideally by Thursday night UTC so we can move the process forward
on Friday.

In terms of implementing these changes, I suggest the following:

1) That the relevant site configuration variables are updated on June 15;
2) That, additionally, a central "Terms of use" page is created on
wikimediafoundation.org to house the "terms of use" above, which can
be replaced with a localized version whenever one is created;
3) That the relevant MediaWiki-messages are force-updated on all
projects to the English version above, or any translations already
created by June 15;
4) That the revised MediaWiki-messages are also translated through
translatewiki.net and hence additional translations will be rolled out
through normal i18n upgrades.

Regarding 3) and 4), this may best be achieved by creating new
MediaWiki messages. I would appreciate the advice of our translation
and tech team on this, and of course on the entire proposed process.
(I realize that there's not nearly enough time for any number of
translations, but we have a fixed deadline of beginning the roll-out
of this change by June 15.)

For multimedia, the licensing committee and the Wikimedia Commons
community are still discussing the best update strategy, but it will
probably involve a bot updating the existing templates. We're also
hoping to run a CentralNotice to explain the process to the
communities so that people can help to fix up pages and policies.

Thanks for any help in moving this forward,
Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Licensing update: Final steps

Platonides
Erik Moeller wrote:

> All,
>
> after some internal discussion with the licensing update committee,
> I'm proposing the following final site terms to be implemented on all
> Wikimedia projects that currently use GFDL as their primary content
> license, as well as the relevant multimedia templates:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation
>
> Please note that these aren't quite yet ready for translation yet
> (hence labeled draft). Please provide feedback here or on the talk
> page, ideally by Thursday night UTC so we can move the process forward
> on Friday.

>  "the unmodified English original must be included in equal prominence to any translation."

Sorry if it has already been discussed before but, why has the English
version to be included in the same page?
Isn't a link good enough?

I know how much lawyers like such things, but it makes it harder for
non-English languages.

Regarding terms translation, we should make it including a link to every
language from every project.

> In terms of implementing these changes, I suggest the following:
>
> 1) That the relevant site configuration variables are updated on June 15;

We also need a technical way of flagging CC-BY-SA only content
(page_props?).

Re: [Wikitech-l] Licensing update: Final steps

Erik Moeller-4
2009/6/9 Platonides <[hidden email]>:
> Sorry if it has already been discussed before but, why has the English
> version to be included in the same page?
> Isn't a link good enough?

In the past years we've seen substantial semantic drift in the various
localized/translated versions. Having the English version visible for
consistent reference should help to avoid this. A two-column format
should make it not-too-irritating.

> We also need a technical way of flagging CC-BY-SA only content
> (page_props?).

No, we're not committing to any advanced tracking of GFDL; it's an
obligation of re-users. (Which they should be able to meet by checking
for attribution of single-licensed content.)

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 2009/6/9 Platonides <[hidden email]>:
>> Sorry if it has already been discussed before but, why has the English
>> version to be included in the same page?
>> Isn't a link good enough?
>
> In the past years we've seen substantial semantic drift in the various
> localized/translated versions. Having the English version visible for
> consistent reference should help to avoid this. A two-column format
> should make it not-too-irritating.

I find it unfriendly, but permanently showing the original text for
everybody would certainly make much easier to notice the variations.

>> We also need a technical way of flagging CC-BY-SA only content
>> (page_props?).
>
> No, we're not committing to any advanced tracking of GFDL; it's an
> obligation of re-users. (Which they should be able to meet by checking
> for attribution of single-licensed content.)

Are we at least going to provide some rules so third-party attribution
will be easier to track from now on?
The license change seems the best time to do such shifts.