Linux-Maintenance next Friday and upgrade-announcement

Linux-Maintenance next Friday and upgrade-announcement

DaB.-4
Hello all,

next

FRIDAY, 13. September 19:00-22:00 UTC

I will update our Linux-hosts with all non-critical updates that
happened since the last maintenance-window. This will include the
userland-hosts and the database-servers. Several downtimes may occur
during that window.
After the update I will prepare the upgrade from Debian Squeeeze
(oldstable) to Debian Wheezy (stable). The upgrade will surely break
some stuff, because several important packages will switch to a new
major release (for example perl from 5.10 to 5.14, php from 5.3 to 5.4).
I will send a further mail after Friday with details. The upgrade is
planed to happen 1 or 2 weeks later.

Sincerely,
DaB.

Re: Linux-Maintenance next Friday and upgrade-announcement

K. Peachey-2

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM, DaB. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

next

FRIDAY, 13. September 19:00-22:00 UTC

"Next", Do you mean This Friday?

Re: Linux-Maintenance next Friday and upgrade-announcement

seth-35
Hi!

On 2013-09-09 07:36, K. Peachey wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM, DaB. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> next
>>
>> FRIDAY, 13. September 19:00-22:00 UTC
>
> "Next", Do you mean This Friday?

Sorry, but this question is not very intelligent, because the auther
gave a redundant information on that by telling the exact date.

"next" and "this" together with weekdays are synonymous in many cases.
Unfortunately "next" may have more than one meaning in such contexts.
Sometimes it means "next week's X" and sometimes it means "the next X
from now on", or to be more precise "the X that is next to present in
our unidirectional timeline".
Actually "this" is also ambiguous, because the timeline is not
necessarily understood as unidirectional, but the tense of the verb or
other context normally identifies the meant date.
So, if anybody says "this" (or "next") and does not give more
information, then don't ask him, whether he meant "next" (or "this"),
because this won't make it clear. There are better posibilities to talk
about dates, e.g. by useing absolute dates. DaB. did that. Thus imho the
question was superfluous. :-p

Btw. this is not a pure English problem. For example German has got the
same disambiguity.

bye
seth

Re: Linux-Maintenance next Friday and upgrade-announcement

DaB.-4
Hello all,

the maintenance worked without problems. The userland-hosts were
rebooted after the update. SGE is running again (thanks to Merl who
coordinated the calendar-setting with our window). Nosy still imports
commons like announced (thanks to her for the help).
In the next days I will prepare the userland-servers for the Debian
upgrade; I will keep you informed.

Sincerely,
DaB.