Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Pine W
I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
unsupported. Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki? I am thinking about installing Debian but
am open to any suggestions that have a friendly UX.

Solaris is an option also.

Pine

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Michał Łazowik
Hey,

Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip 2014, o godz. 21:55:

> I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> unsupported.

Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?

> Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
> Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki?

It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
it's… Ubuntu :p [0]

And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache, nginx)
with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro that
wouldn't work.

Regards,
Michał

[0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Pine W
From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu

"*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not recommend
you use it."

I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
whole.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip 2014,
> o godz. 21:55:
>
> > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > unsupported.
>
> Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?
>
> > Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
> > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki?
>
> It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
> it's… Ubuntu :p [0]
>
> And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache, nginx)
> with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro
> that
> wouldn't work.
>
> Regards,
> Michał
>
> [0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Christopher Wilson-3
I think that's referring to the package distributed by Ubuntu/Canonical,
not support for running the app if you install it via some other method.

-Chris

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
>
> "*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
> MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not recommend
> you use it."
>
> I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
> whole.
>
> Pine
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip
> 2014,
> > o godz. 21:55:
> >
> > > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > > unsupported.
> >
> > Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?
> >
> > > Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
> > > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki?
> >
> > It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
> > it's… Ubuntu :p [0]
> >
> > And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache, nginx)
> > with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro
> > that
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michał
> >
> > [0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

John Doe-27
Actually the WMF servers run Ubuntu, and it refers to the apt-get install
mediawiki method as being unsupported

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Christopher Wilson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think that's referring to the package distributed by Ubuntu/Canonical,
> not support for running the app if you install it via some other method.
>
> -Chris
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
> >
> > "*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
> > MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not
> recommend
> > you use it."
> >
> > I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
> > whole.
> >
> > Pine
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip
> > 2014,
> > > o godz. 21:55:

> > > Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?

> > > It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
> > > it's… Ubuntu :p [0]
> > >
> > > And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache,
> nginx)
> > > with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro
> > > that
> > > wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Michał
> > >
> > > [0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Michał Łazowik
Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip 2014, o godz. 22:10:

> I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
> whole.

Yep. That means that the package available on Ubuntu is not supported.

If I'm not mistaken you're preparing for some MediaWiki hacking, including
hackathon? If yes, I'd strongly recommend you to take a look at Vagrant [0].
It's software that allows you to set up a clean working environment, isolated
from your system. That way you can keep your main system clean and have
an easier setup.

MediaWiki-Vagrant is a configuration for Vagrant that gives you MediaWiki
development focused environment with debug info and other handy things
enabled by default.

Hope you find that useful and happy coding :)

Michał

[0] http://www.vagrantup.com/

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Michał Łazowik
Wiadomość napisana przez Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip 2014, o godz. 22:22:

> MediaWiki-Vagrant is a configuration for Vagrant that gives you MediaWiki
> development focused environment with debug info and other handy things
> enabled by default.

Forgot the link, sorry: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Bartosz Dziewoński
On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:10:09 +0200, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
>
> "*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
> MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not
> recommend
> you use it."
>
> I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
> whole.

Yes, that only refers to the various package manager packages (applies to
distros other than Ubuntu, too), which historically have been varying in
quality (so to speak) and always hopelessly outdated.

--
Matma Rex

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Brian Wolff
Yes that's correct. The Ubuntu package isn't officially supported.
This is more a historical thing than anything else, as a couple years
back one of the packages (I think it was redhat's) decided that moving
the skins directory (This was back before RL, so that included all the
css and JS) to a non-web accessible directory was a good idea. And
most of the other packages were horribly outdated, so all the distro
packages got deemed "unsupported".

Now a days the distro packages are a lot better, but still might be a
little behind the time in terms of version. If you're installing
MediaWiki, my recommendation would be to download the source from
mediawiki.org, and only use your package manager to install
dependencies like apache, mysql, etc. However, the distro packages are
probably fine too.

As for Solaris vs Ubuntu. I'd recommend linux if you have a choice (In
particular mediawiki uses some GNU userland utilities if available
that would definitely be in linux, such as bash, diff3, timeout. I
have no idea if other unixes have all those installed by default).
MediaWiki is probably the most well tested on Ubuntu of any OS (as
that's what WMF uses), but really its pretty OS agnostic.

--bawolff

On 7/20/14, Christopher Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that's referring to the package distributed by Ubuntu/Canonical,
> not support for running the app if you install it via some other method.
>
> -Chris
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
>>
>> "*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
>> MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not recommend
>> you use it."
>>
>> I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
>> whole.
>>
>> Pine
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip
>> 2014,
>> > o godz. 21:55:

>> > Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?

>> > It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
>> > it's… Ubuntu :p [0]
>> >
>> > And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache, nginx)
>> > with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro
>> > that
>> > wouldn't work.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Michał
>> >
>> > [0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Max Semenik
Yep. It says that the broken .deb package made by Debian guys is not
supported by us developeers, not that MW doesn't support Ubuntu or vice
versa. Just stick with tarballs or Git checkouts and you'll be fine.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
>
> "*Warning:* MediaWiki can also be installed using aptitude. The Ubuntu
> MediaWiki package is unsupported and usually outdated. We do not recommend
> you use it."
>
> I suppose that could refer only to aptitude and not Ubuntu support as a
> whole.
>
> Pine
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michał Łazowik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > Wiadomość napisana przez Pine W <[hidden email]> w dniu 20 lip
> 2014,
> > o godz. 21:55:
> >
> > > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > > unsupported.
> >
> > Where, when, why what? I mean, from where do you have that info?
> >
> > > Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
> > > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki?
> >
> > It's quite amusing in the view of what you said:
> > it's… Ubuntu :p [0]
> >
> > And basically anything that can run some web server (e.g. apache, nginx)
> > with php support should work. I think it would be hard to find a distro
> > that
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michał
> >
> > [0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers#Software

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu

I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu should be
good (if a bit old).

I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
Linux.

- d.

On 20 July 2014 20:55, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> unsupported. Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro of
> Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki? I am thinking about installing Debian but
> am open to any suggestions that have a friendly UX.
>
> Solaris is an option also.
>
> Pine

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Pine W
Thanks. Unfortunately I will not be attending Wikimania or the hackathon. I
wish I was. I would like to go.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
> distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
> fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu
>
> I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
> MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu should
> be
> good (if a bit old).
>
> I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
> use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
> Linux.
>

> - d.
>

> On 20 July 2014 20:55, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > unsupported. Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro
> of
> > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki? I am thinking about installing Debian
> but
> > am open to any suggestions that have a friendly UX.
> >
> > Solaris is an option also.
> >
> > Pine

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Pine W
David: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu

That warning could be clearer about what it's referring to.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
> distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
> fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu
>
> I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
> MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu should
> be
> good (if a bit old).
>
> I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
> use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
> Linux.
>

> - d.
>

> On 20 July 2014 20:55, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > unsupported. Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which distro
> of
> > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki? I am thinking about installing Debian
> but
> > am open to any suggestions that have a friendly UX.
> >
> > Solaris is an option also.
> >
> > Pine

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Dmitriy Sintsov-2
Yes, please do not install MediaWiki via apt-get or aptitude. It will be
old version with suboptimal settings. It is much better to install it
manually.
Speaking of Ubuntu, I think WMF is running a lot of Ubuntu / Debian
systems. So, Ubuntu should be the best way of running MediaWiki.
Dmitriy

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
>
> That warning could be clearer about what it's referring to.
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
> > distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
> > fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu
> >
> > I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
> > MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu
> should
> > be
> > good (if a bit old).
> >
> > I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
> > use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
> > Linux.
> >

> > - d.
> >

> > On 20 July 2014 20:55, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I have experience with Ubuntu but MediaWiki says that Ubuntu is
> > > unsupported. Which Linux distro would people recommend, and which
> distro
> > of
> > > Linux does WMF use for MediaWiki? I am thinking about installing Debian
> > but
> > > am open to any suggestions that have a friendly UX.
> > >
> > > Solaris is an option also.
> > >
> > > Pine

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Max Semenik
The main issue with packages is not even the version. It is kinda expected
that distros don't have bleeding-edge packages, and 1.19 will be supported
for almost a year from now. However all packages I know of (Debian flavors
and not) split MW directory and put its parts into different places, trying
to follow the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. The result is not only
confsuion (one guy on IRC asked which of three LocalSettings.php files
present on his server he should edit; two of them turned out to be symlinks
but still helluva confusing) but also outright breakages because our code
base generally assumes that everything lies in one place.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Dmitriy Sintsov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, please do not install MediaWiki via apt-get or aptitude. It will be
> old version with suboptimal settings. It is much better to install it
> manually.
> Speaking of Ubuntu, I think WMF is running a lot of Ubuntu / Debian
> systems. So, Ubuntu should be the best way of running MediaWiki.
> Dmitriy
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > David: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
> >
> > That warning could be clearer about what it's referring to.
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
> > > distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
> > > fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu
> > >
> > > I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
> > > MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu
> > should
> > > be
> > > good (if a bit old).
> > >
> > > I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
> > > use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
> > > Linux.
> > >

> > > - d.

> > distro
> > > of
> Debian
> > > but

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Mark A. Hershberger-4
Max Semenik <[hidden email]> writes:

> The main issue with packages is not even the version. It is kinda expected
> that distros don't have bleeding-edge packages, and 1.19 will be supported
> for almost a year from now.

This was done with Debian specifically in mind.

> However all packages I know of (Debian flavors and not) split MW
> directory and put its parts into different places, trying to follow
> the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. The result is [...] outright
> breakages because our code base generally assumes that everything lies
> in one place.

These are bugs that should be fixed.  Release management has worked
closely with Debian and Fedora packagers to improve their packaging
because, despite any on-wiki disclaimers, people will continue to use
"apt-get" and "yum" to install MediaWiki.

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Mark
On 7/22/14, 3:09 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> Max Semenik <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> However all packages I know of (Debian flavors and not) split MW
>> directory and put its parts into different places, trying to follow
>> the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. The result is [...] outright
>> breakages because our code base generally assumes that everything lies
>> in one place.
> These are bugs that should be fixed.  Release management has worked
> closely with Debian and Fedora packagers to improve their packaging
> because, despite any on-wiki disclaimers, people will continue to use
> "apt-get" and "yum" to install MediaWiki.

Having seen many "institutional" installations of MediaWiki (mostly in
universities), imo the distro version is actually the better option to
recommend by default for non-sophisticated users. Manually installed
MediaWiki, unpacked from tarballs, has a bad habit of being installed
once and *never, ever* upgraded. I just found one here running v1.14! If
it had been the Ubuntu-package version, it's much more likely someone
would have upgraded it in the years since then (e.g. the Apache on this
box has been upgraded, but not the MediaWiki). The distro packaging does
sometimes introduce some weirdness compared to the official structure,
but imo it's the less-bad choice.

-Mark

Re: Linux distros or Solaris for MediaWiki

Dmitriy Sintsov-2
At previous job, I've installed and maintained a wiki farm with multiple
sites, interwiki setup and caching while another emploee installed
MediaWiki from repository via single command and told to former boss that
my work is very simple. I hate anything web-related in packages because of
that.