List archives

Thomas Dalton

I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?

Re: List archives

David Gerard-2
On 29 March 2012 13:29, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link
> in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no
> restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?

Shouldn't be, I'd have thought.

The only reason I can think of is that few months ago we had a
confidential message accidentally sent to the list - but if that's
been removed from the archive (which requires someone with server
access actually removing it, listadmins can't) then opening it up
would be fine.

- d.

Re: List archives

Fae-6
It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

Thanks,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: List archives

David Gerard-2
On 29 March 2012 13:38, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
> post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

That'd be good :-) It does break convention that public Wikimedia
lists have public archives.

- d.

Re: List archives

HJ Mitchell
I actually quite like this way - I think it's more conducive to frank exchange of views, a lot of people here connect their usernames to their real names, and anybody who's really interested in WMUK can subscribe.

Of course, it means we should try to avoid discussions that should be had on Wikipedia, lest we appear like a cabal (the Eastern European Mailing List comes to mind...).

Harry

On 29 March 2012 13:38, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
> post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

That'd be good :-) It does break convention that public Wikimedia
lists have public archives.

- d.

Re: List archives

Richard Symonds-3
Oh, Harry - everyone knows that there is no cabal! (ignore the CC)
Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

On 29/03/2012 17:23, HJ Mitchell wrote:
I actually quite like this way - I think it's more conducive to frank exchange of views, a lot of people here connect their usernames to their real names, and anybody who's really interested in WMUK can subscribe.

Of course, it means we should try to avoid discussions that should be had on Wikipedia, lest we appear like a cabal (the Eastern European Mailing List comes to mind...).

Harry

On 29 March 2012 13:38, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
> post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

That'd be good :-) It does break convention that public Wikimedia
lists have public archives.

- d.

Re: List archives

HJ Mitchell
Oh, did we forget to induct you ? ;)

Where does that email address go, anyway?

Harry

On 29 March 2012 13:38, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
> post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

That'd be good :-) It does break convention that public Wikimedia
lists have public archives.

- d.

Re: List archives

Chris Keating-2

Oh, did we forget to induct you ? ;)

Where does that email address go, anyway?

We could tell you. But I'm not sure you want to know the answer.

;-)

Chris

Re: List archives

Thomas Dalton

On Mar 29, 2012 5:50 PM, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Oh, did we forget to induct you ? ;)
>>
>> Where does that email address go, anyway?
>>

> We could tell you. But I'm not sure you want to know the answer.

Please, stop this conversation before you get us all in trouble. You remember what happened last time, don't you? I couldn't sit down for a week...

Re: List archives

Chris Keating-2

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 29, 2012 5:50 PM, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Oh, did we forget to induct you ? ;)
>>
>> Where does that email address go, anyway?
>>

> We could tell you. But I'm not sure you want to know the answer.

Please, stop this conversation before you get us all in trouble. You remember what happened last time, don't you? I couldn't sit down for a week...

Fortunately my mind seems to have been completely wiped of that memory ;-)

Re: List archives

Gordon Joly
On 29/03/2012 13:29, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the
> link in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there
> is no restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if
> so, why?
There are (public) clones of the archives....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: List archives

Thomas Dalton
On 29 March 2012 21:43, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29/03/2012 13:29, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>
>> I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link
>> in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no
>> restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?
>
> There are (public) clones of the archives....

And it takes all of a few seconds to subscribe and get access to the
official ones. That's why I'm struggling to see the point of having
them restricted.

Re: List archives

Thehelpfulone
On 29 March 2012 21:59, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29 March 2012 21:43, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29/03/2012 13:29, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>
>> I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link
>> in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no
>> restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?
>
> There are (public) clones of the archives....

And it takes all of a few seconds to subscribe and get access to the
official ones. That's why I'm struggling to see the point of having
them restricted.

So just to confirm, if I sign up to this mailing list and click the confirmation email link, I'm subscribed? There's no moderation by a list admin or anything like that? If that's the case, then I agree that there's no point having a private list archive.
--
Thehelpfulone
English Wikipedia Administrator

Re: List archives

Thomas Dalton
On 30 March 2012 01:04, Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So just to confirm, if I sign up to this mailing list and click the
> confirmation email link, I'm subscribed? There's no moderation by a list
> admin or anything like that? If that's the case, then I agree that there's
> no point having a private list archive.

I believe so. That's certainly how it used to be.

Re: List archives

HJ Mitchell
I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval was more-or-less automatic...

Harry

On 30 March 2012 01:33, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval
> was more-or-less automatic...

I just subscribed a new email address and I was able to read the
archives immediately.

Re: List archives

Richard Symonds-3
I think Mike can answer a few of these questions, but he's extremely
busy over the weekend with conferences etc.

On 30/03/2012 01:37, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 30 March 2012 01:33, HJ Mitchell<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval
>> was more-or-less automatic...
> I just subscribed a new email address and I was able to read the
> archives immediately.

Re: List archives

joseph seddon
Is there any possibility of having question answered?

I am somewhat dissapointed at this list no longer being publically archived.

Seddon

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:32:21 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I think Mike can answer a few of these questions, but he's extremely
> busy over the weekend with conferences etc.
>
> Richard Symonds
> Office& Development Manager
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
> --
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT.
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
> its contents.
>

> On 30/03/2012 01:37, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > On 30 March 2012 01:33, HJ Mitchell<[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval
> >> was more-or-less automatic...
> > I just subscribed a new email address and I was able to read the
> > archives immediately.

Re: List archives

Thomas Morton
Well, as no one has answered...

It's related to an incident not long ago where there was a complaint over a message posted here about a named individual (not going to rehash that whole issue). The message was objected to (very strongly) and the archives were made subscriber only; I guess to mitigate the matter (and obviously avoid future incidents of the same type).

I'm sure others can fill in more details than I can. Just answering the basic question.

Tom

On 5 April 2012 04:57, joseph seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any possibility of having question answered?

I am somewhat dissapointed at this list no longer being publically archived.

Seddon

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:32:21 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]

> I think Mike can answer a few of these questions, but he's extremely
> busy over the weekend with conferences etc.
>
> Richard Symonds
> Office& Development Manager
> Wikimedia UK
> --
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT.
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
> its contents.
>

> On 30/03/2012 01:37, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > On 30 March 2012 01:33, HJ Mitchell<[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval
> >> was more-or-less automatic...
> > I just subscribed a new email address and I was able to read the
> > archives immediately.

Re: List archives

HJ Mitchell
By whom, and on whose advice? Why weren't the subscribers to this list informed?

I don't expect you'll be able to answer those questions, Tom, but they're worth asking.

Harry