List of student research assignment

John Andersson-2
Hi,

The last year Wikimedia Sverige has deepened the cooperation with a number of universities in Sweden and we have recently started providing them with research assignment for students' thesis work (to work on for either during 10 weeks (Bachelor) or 20 weeks (Master)). As a small pilot I gave a presentation about this a couple of weeks ago and we have seen a great interest in this opportunity from staff and student - with around 10 students (out of  ~300) deciding to do their thesis work about our movement and projects next year!

I was wondering if there is a list of possible thesis assignments compiled somewhere (of course many different structures for thesis work exist - but anything would help)? We would especially like more ideas regarding technical assignments that the students could do - and investigate the effect from - during their thesis course. I.e. not just the Phabricator/Bugzilla bugs, but something a bit more comprehensive and structured. Is there anything out there? (Kind of like GSoC - but during the semesters.)

If no such resource exists - and if more people/chapters/WMF would find this approach of involving universities interesting - perhaps we could create the necessary structures for this in the future?

PS. Wiki Education Foundation do not have one - I already asked.

Best,

John
- - - -
John Andersson
Wikimedia Sverige
Project Manager

Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: johnandersson86

Be sure to follow us on Twitter at @WikiEuropeana and @WikimediaSE
Would you like to support free knowledge and Wikipedia? Please consider
becoming a member of Wikimedia Sverige! We need your support.

Re: List of student research assignment

Kerry Raymond

This is a very interesting idea and could be targeted both at technical work assignments as well as research assignments at all levels. However, to be viable, we probably need to have some information available to the students on the codebase and whatever else is required to be immediately productive. Maybe that could be the first assignments!

Re: List of student research assignment

Federico Leva (Nemo)
John Andersson, 10/11/2014 20:48:
> we have recently started providing them with research assignment for
> students' thesis work (to work on for either during 10 weeks (Bachelor)
> or 20 weeks (Master)). As a small pilot I gave a presentation about this
> a couple of weeks ago and we have seen a great interest in this
> opportunity from staff and student

Interesting! But, sorry for the stupid questions, how can this work? Are
you talking of thesis as in final work for the degree? Does it mean the
student can decide the thesis on their own? What does the staff have to
do with it? How are external entities allowed to propose theses?
https://studyinsweden.se/study-information/degree-programmes/masters-studies/
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis#Sweden are not particularly
useful to explain.

In Italy the bachelor/master thesis is in practice proposed by the
prof./teacher and the university staff has no say whatsoever in it. (Let
alone the state; that would even be against the constitution, probably.)

Nemo

Re: List of student research assignment

Kerry Raymond
I'd just see it as a pool of ideas which could be used by student, staff, the state or whoever decides these things in that particular context.

Sent from my iPad

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 9:36 am, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Andersson, 10/11/2014 20:48:
>> we have recently started providing them with research assignment for
>> students' thesis work (to work on for either during 10 weeks (Bachelor)
>> or 20 weeks (Master)). As a small pilot I gave a presentation about this
>> a couple of weeks ago and we have seen a great interest in this
>> opportunity from staff and student
>
> Interesting! But, sorry for the stupid questions, how can this work? Are you talking of thesis as in final work for the degree? Does it mean the student can decide the thesis on their own? What does the staff have to do with it? How are external entities allowed to propose theses? https://studyinsweden.se/study-information/degree-programmes/masters-studies/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis#Sweden are not particularly useful to explain.
>
> In Italy the bachelor/master thesis is in practice proposed by the prof./teacher and the university staff has no say whatsoever in it. (Let alone the state; that would even be against the constitution, probably.)
>
> Nemo

Re: List of student research assignment

Piotr Konieczny-2
I am also a bit confused about what you are asking, particularly with regards to the word thesis.

Are you asking for a list of possible student assignments regarding Wikipedia? As in - topics they can write about? On Wikipedia? About Wikipedia?

--
Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny