Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

Chris Keating-2
Just a note for the World War I buffs amongst you - there's quite an interesting plan by Oxford University to crowdsource a livetweet of the Battle of Arras. More info here:  http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/?p=253

I'm planning to take part and other Wikimedians would be very welcome.

You might notice that the organisers have taken a licensing approach of putting the eventual resource they are creating from this initiative under CC-BY-NC, but nevertheless encouraging participants to digitise their own materials and put them on Commons. So that's 50% right ;-)

Chris

Re: Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

HJ Mitchell
I think we should make a real effort to explain the pros and cons of the various CC licenses and what they actually mean for copyright holders and re-users. I think many choices of licenses like NC are born out of a lack of understanding, and people might be more receptive to CC-By-SA if they understood it better.

I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.

Harry

Re: Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

Chris Keating-2
Oh, don't worry, we do!  And we're not alone - many of the digital staff working in various institutions are very open to this, as are some funders of them (e.g. Europeana)

Of course the best possible sell is showing what could be done with material once it was released... :)

On Thursday, March 29, 2012, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should make a real effort to explain the pros and cons of the various CC licenses and what they actually mean for copyright holders and re-users. I think many choices of licenses like NC are born out of a lack of understanding, and people might be more receptive to CC-By-SA if they understood it better.
> I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.
> Harry
> ________________________________

Michael Peel-4
Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes discussions here?

Thanks,
Mike

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes discussions here?

Actually it's a sign of the way things are going! There are lots of people in "digital engagement" jobs who are themselves quite signed up to the idea of open knowledge, aided by bodies like JISC and Europeana which insist on / encourage various levels of openness.

So often I think we end up talking to people whose institutions are cautious about losing the NC bit of CC-BY-NC, and we can help them win their internal arguments within those institutions by proving that if they release material on CC-BY-SA there will be high-impact uses of it...

Chris

Re: Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

Martin Poulter-2
I know some of the relevant folks through one of my day jobs, and I've
encouraged them to think about Wikipedia/Wikimedia through mailing
lists/ talks and so on. This included corresponding with the WW1
Centenary project's developer, Pat Lockley, about the MediaWiki API.
Since then, Pat has created
http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/space-into-place/all-quiet-on-the-wikipedia-front/
. So my and others' behind-the-scenes discussions may have helped get
people thinking about our approach.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes discussions here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 29 Mar 2012, at 18:33, Chris Keating wrote:
>
>> Oh, don't worry, we do!  And we're not alone - many of the digital staff working in various institutions are very open to this, as are some funders of them (e.g. Europeana)
>>

>> Of course the best possible sell is showing what could be done with material once it was released... :)
>>
>> On Thursday, March 29, 2012, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I think we should make a real effort to explain the pros and cons of the various CC licenses and what they actually mean for copyright holders and re-users. I think many choices of licenses like NC are born out of a lack of understanding, and people might be more receptive to CC-By-SA if they understood it better.
>> > I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.
>> > Harry
>> > ________________________________

Dr Martin L Poulter
Board member/ Trustee, Wikimedia UK   http://uk.wikimedia.org/
Wikipedia contributor
http://enwp.org/User:MartinPoulter
Musician
http://myspace.com/comapilot
Person                                                 http://infobomb.org/

Re: Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

Chris Keating-2

I know some of the relevant folks through one of my day jobs, and I've
encouraged them to think about Wikipedia/Wikimedia through mailing
lists/ talks and so on. This included corresponding with the WW1
Centenary project's developer, Pat Lockley, about the MediaWiki API.
Since then, Pat has created
http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/space-into-place/all-quiet-on-the-wikipedia-front/
. So my and others' behind-the-scenes discussions may have helped get
people thinking about our approach.

Good stuff. It's interesting that some institutions are now encountering us in a number of different ways - I think it shows we're gradually becoming part of the landscape.

I had somehow missed that blog post, but it's very interesting - I have left a comment - thanks for pointing it out!

Chris