Logo vote: neutral to all languages?

KIZU Naoko
Hi,
I would like to remind you one thing and to solve some people's
misunderstandings about one logo candidate which the community is now
voting on.

A book type one is commented by several people as "neutral to all
languages". But it isn't definitely. All serious Japanese dictionaries
in print (not on the WWW) are written vertically, from top to bottom.
The book logo is on the other hand written horizontally. So the
current candidate is not neutral for all language.

For the sake of COI, I would notice you that I voted for the other
just because of that. I say the above rather as a reminder - not every
language is orthographically written horizontally.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Logo vote: neutral to all languages?

Conrad Irwin

On 01/25/2010 07:42 PM, Aphaia wrote:

> A book type one is commented by several people as "neutral to all
> languages". But it isn't definitely. All serious Japanese dictionaries
> in print (not on the WWW) are written vertically, from top to bottom.
> The book logo is on the other hand written horizontally. So the
> current candidate is not neutral for all language.

I believe there are proposals to make minor modifications to the logo
for any project that wants it, Arabic, for example, writes
right-to-left. It will still be possible to use the same underlying
logo, but with more personal alterations; much as the characters on the
Wikipedia logo are altered on a per-project basis.

I voted for the book because it gives off a much greater aura of
professionalism and dictionary-ness than the tiles; things which are
almost impossible to fix with minor alterations. While I think your
concerns are valid, I believe that they can be trivially solved by
anyone who wishes to do so.

Conrad

Re: Logo vote: neutral to all languages?

Andrew Dunbar
The obvious thing is to localise the logo just like various current
logos are localised for various wikis which themselves are all
localised. No different than would need to be done for the tile logo
which obviously lacks tiles for many scripts.

I think all but ancint Japanese dictionaries use left-to-right then
top-to-bottom unlike Japanese novels which even in modern times all
use top-to-bottom then right-to-left. In either case I would put the
hiragana "a" on the first page and the hiragana "n" on the last page,
or possibly the first and last radical. The only decision is whether
the "first" page is the one on the left or on the right. The people at
ja.wiktionary would obviously decide what was best.

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)

http://wiktionarydev.leuksman.com http://linguaphile.sf.net