London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

David Gerard-2
[sending separately to wikien-l and wikimediauk-l due to mail server weirdness]

The Montagu Pyke is an unspeakably horrible beer barn, and we actually
drank it out of the one real ale on tap. I was wondering if it was
possible to accidentally unplug the jukebox, then the football
(Arsenal v. Liverpool, 6-3, holy crap! [*]) started at a quite
remarkable volume. Having enough people upstairs to block the fire
exits, and the venue sucking like a hivemind of Dysons, we chose to
follow Morwen's infallible ale detector to the Shakespeare's Head near
Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
tolerable variety.

(Fortunately, despite it *technically* having been the case that I was
the one to declare that this would be a suitable venue, I used methods
learnt from [[WP:ANI]] to put all blame onto James Forrester, who was
conveniently not present. So that's all right then.)

I got about a zillion shots on User:Arkady Rose's [[Canon Digital
IXUS]] 400, and she'll probably be putting these up some time today or
tomorrow. Loopzilla and Thryduulf got a pile too.

We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
list?

- d.

[*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6246893.stm

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Scott Keir

--- David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
> despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
> list?

Sorry I couldn't make it, alas my day job and other commitments conspired
against me. Still, I would have only nagged about the status of WER/Wiki UK,
which would probably have added even more to the fetidity of the Montagu (if
I'd know it used to be called Moon Under Water, then I might have warned...)

Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?

Any other scandalous gossip? Will some of the pictures be in Heat magazine, or
National Enquirer?

Scott

On 10/01/07, Scott Keir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?

Networking really. The Cabal. Couple of journalists. That sort of thing.

> Any other scandalous gossip? Will some of the pictures be in Heat magazine, or
> National Enquirer?

I understand Wikipedia is nearly as reliable!

- d.

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Abigail Brady-2
On 1/10/07, Scott Keir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?

And I think we all agreed that we should appoint Psychonaut's ferret
to be the official Wikipedia ferret.

--
Abi

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

geni
On 1/10/07, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Scott Keir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?
>
> And I think we all agreed that we should appoint Psychonaut's ferret
> to be the official Wikipedia ferret.

Is it GFDL?

--
geni

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Arkady Rose-2
geni wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/10/07, Scott Keir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?
>> And I think we all agreed that we should appoint Psychonaut's ferret
>> to be the official Wikipedia ferret.
>>

> Is it GFDL?

She appears to be; Frettchen is a very friendly little thing who doesn't
appear to mind who she sleeps on! (Even if I DID somewhat monopolise
her...!)

-a

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Rich Farmbrough
Sorry I missed it.

> [sending separately to wikien-l and wikimediauk-l due to mail server weirdness]
>

> The Montagu Pyke is an unspeakably horrible beer barn, and we actually
> drank it out of the one real ale on tap. I was wondering if it was
> possible to accidentally unplug the jukebox, then the football
> (Arsenal v. Liverpool, 6-3, holy crap! [*]) started at a quite
> remarkable volume. Having enough people upstairs to block the fire
> exits, and the venue sucking like a hivemind of Dysons, we chose to
> follow Morwen's infallible ale detector to the Shakespeare's Head near
> Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
> tolerable variety.
>
> (Fortunately, despite it *technically* having been the case that I was
> the one to declare that this would be a suitable venue, I used methods
> learnt from [[WP:ANI]] to put all blame onto James Forrester, who was
> conveniently not present. So that's all right then.)
>
> I got about a zillion shots on User:Arkady Rose's [[Canon Digital
> IXUS]] 400, and she'll probably be putting these up some time today or
> tomorrow. Loopzilla and Thryduulf got a pile too.
>
> We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
> despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
> list?
>

> - d.
>

> [*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6246893.stm

Landline (UK) 01780 575 250
Mobile (UK) 07940 819 025

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Steve Block-3
geni wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/10/07, Scott Keir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?
>> And I think we all agreed that we should appoint Psychonaut's ferret
>> to be the official Wikipedia ferret.
>>

> Is it GFDL?

I believe it's wee is now public domain.

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Rob Church
> The Montagu Pyke is an unspeakably horrible beer barn, and we actually
> drank it out of the one real ale on tap. I was wondering if it was

Dare I ask which?

> exits, and the venue sucking like a hivemind of Dysons, we chose to
> follow Morwen's infallible ale detector to the Shakespeare's Head near

Trust Morwen to know all the pubs...

> Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
> tolerable variety.

There's such a thing? ;)

Rob Church

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Gordon Joly
At 14:12 +0000 10/1/07, Scott Keir wrote:

>--- David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
>>  despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
>>  list?
>
>Sorry I couldn't make it, alas my day job and other commitments conspired
>against me. Still, I would have only nagged about the status of WER/Wiki UK,
>which would probably have added even more to the fetidity of the Montagu (if
>I'd know it used to be called Moon Under Water, then I might have warned...)
>
>Was anything of note discussed, or was it just a "networking" event?

Yes, it was a Networking Club event!! We highjacked it!

:-)

Well... not really....

http://www.networking-club.org.uk/

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Arkady Rose-2
The photos David took with my camera are now up on my Flickr account
here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17249020@N00/sets/72157594471722259/
(no, I am NOT going to sit here taking forever to upload 66 photos to
Wikimedia Commons - DG took them, he can do that!) - out of over 100
images he took, these were about the best of the bunch. (David, much
though you love the "rapid-fire" function on Ixus cameras, they really
don't make for useable photos!)

-a

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Andrew Walker-3
On 1/10/07, Arkady Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The photos David took with my camera are now up on my Flickr account
> here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17249020@N00/sets/72157594471722259/
> (no, I am NOT going to sit here taking forever to upload 66 photos to
> Wikimedia Commons - DG took them, he can do that!) - out of over 100
> images he took, these were about the best of the bunch. (David, much
> though you love the "rapid-fire" function on Ixus cameras, they really
> don't make for useable photos!)
>
> -a

So, did anybody remember to take a photo of a [[Beer mat]] or do we
need a follow up?

Andrew

Andrew Walker wrote:
> So, did anybody remember to take a photo of a [[Beer mat]] or do we
> need a follow up?

Believe it or not, there weren't any - in either pub! So the hunt goes on!

-a

Re: London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Gordon Joly

>>  Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
>>  tolerable variety.
>
>There's such a thing? ;)
>
>Rob Church
>
>__

Yes, I think so. Also, if we are being inclusive, rather than
exclusive, they are cheap enough for those people on a budget.

Can I add "The Green Man" into the mix? Tolerable, jut, and has
"outside" space on which it never rains, and that outside space is
non-smoking!!!

1 Poultry, London, EC2R 8EJ

Near the Bank Station complex of pedestrian tunnels.

http://tinyurl.com/yhoc6o

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////