Long Term Projects

Re: Long Term Projects

Alison M. Wheeler
On Tue, September 9, 2008 16:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Liaising with the press is certainly something WM UK could do.

Actually, it is something that we *already* do, and have done successfully
for a long time. sfaiaa both David and I get daily calls and emails from
the press and respond in a timely manner to them and continue to do so.

(We also get an absolute ton of spam which, once a newer WMUK is actually
running I will be *very* happy to direct to someone else!)

A 'WMUK' currently exists, but the people who have done the work over the
past 2½+ years (and who actively welcomed questions and comment rather
than saying <quote>"You have no right to demand anything of the volunteers
doing the hard graft in getting this set up. We accept and welcome the
involvement of anyone that is interested, but it is your responsibility to
get involved."</quote>) have realised that a new team without the history
closely associated with their efforts is now required.

Regards

Alison

Re: Long Term Projects

2008/9/9 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:

>> Clearly, any kind of contacts with technical or schools journalists
>> would be good: we will send out review copies (probably on USB
>> drives). WMF are supporting the launch with quotes etc.

> Liaising with the press is certainly something WM UK could do.

My phone number was on the 2007 press release, though I got no calls.
Obviously we can be a bit more proactive this year since we have a
good idea it'll be a popular item.

- d.

Re: Long Term Projects

2008/9/9 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, September 9, 2008 16:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:

>> Liaising with the press is certainly something WM UK could do.

> Actually, it is something that we *already* do, and have done successfully
> for a long time. sfaiaa both David and I get daily calls and emails from
> the press and respond in a timely manner to them and continue to do so.

Both our numbers are in way too many media directories and are likely
to stay there. (Both as "WMUK" and "UK volunteer contact for WMF";
journalists don't care about the distinction, just as long as the
person on the other end is helpful and quotable.)

I've already said to Thomas I'm quite happy to continue to have my
number (07733 223 584! There it is!) bandied about the whole Internet
(you'd be surprised how few crank calls I get ... the last one was
when someone Rickrolled me by phone several weeks ago) - though I'm
currently in a Volunteerism Addiction Denial Phase so unlikely to put
my head on the block for the new board as such ;-) So WMUK2 should
have a chair willing to answer silly calls (always a good idea) and
say the same standard phrases over and over.

- d.

Re: Long Term Projects

joseph seddon
It might be worth just getting a seperate PAYG sim and a cheapy fone.

> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 18:10:49 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Long Term Projects
>
> 2008/9/9 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:
> > On Tue, September 9, 2008 16:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
> >> Liaising with the press is certainly something WM UK could do.
>
> > Actually, it is something that we *already* do, and have done successfully
> > for a long time. sfaiaa both David and I get daily calls and emails from
> > the press and respond in a timely manner to them and continue to do so.
>

> Both our numbers are in way too many media directories and are likely
> to stay there. (Both as "WMUK" and "UK volunteer contact for WMF";
> journalists don't care about the distinction, just as long as the
> person on the other end is helpful and quotable.)
>
> I've already said to Thomas I'm quite happy to continue to have my
> number (07733 223 584! There it is!) bandied about the whole Internet
> (you'd be surprised how few crank calls I get ... the last one was
> when someone Rickrolled me by phone several weeks ago) - though I'm
> currently in a Volunteerism Addiction Denial Phase so unlikely to put
> my head on the block for the new board as such ;-) So WMUK2 should
> have a chair willing to answer silly calls (always a good idea) and
> say the same standard phrases over and over.
>

> - d.

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Re: Long Term Projects

Cary Bass-4

Re: Long Term Projects

Thomas Dalton
>> Both our numbers are in way too many media directories and are likely
>> to stay there. (Both as "WMUK" and "UK volunteer contact for WMF";
>> journalists don't care about the distinction, just as long as the
>> person on the other end is helpful and quotable.)
>>
>> I've already said to Thomas I'm quite happy to continue to have my
>> number (07733 223 584! There it is!) bandied about the whole Internet
>> (you'd be surprised how few crank calls I get ... the last one was
>> when someone Rickrolled me by phone several weeks ago) - though I'm
>> currently in a Volunteerism Addiction Denial Phase so unlikely to put
>> my head on the block for the new board as such ;-) So WMUK2 should
>> have a chair willing to answer silly calls (always a good idea) and
>> say the same standard phrases over and over.
>
> David is a highly active member of Comcom in his own right, and
> regularly corresponds on behalf of the foundation as well...

Indeed. As I understand it, that pre-dates the founding of WM UK v1.0
even, and I'm sure it will continue long after it's winding up. If the
decision falls to me, I'm happy for David to continue as a non-trustee
press contract for v2.0 if he's happy to do it. I expect the new chair
will end up answering a fair few calls as well. I've been thinking
much the same as Seddon, a cheap "official" phone may be a good idea -
it would allow for an appropriate voice mail message and makes
reimbursing the chair for phone expenses far easier.

Re: Long Term Projects

Alison M. Wheeler
On Tue, September 9, 2008 18:20, joseph seddon wrote:
> It might be worth just getting a seperate PAYG sim and a cheapy fone.

"I do this" and have a separate mobile, though it doesn't stop people
tracking down my other numbers too. Unlike David I occasionally get calls
from the, um, "tinfoil hat brigade" though.

Alison

Re: Long Term Projects

2008/9/9 Cary Bass <[hidden email]>:

> David is a highly active member of Comcom in his own right, and
> regularly corresponds on behalf of the foundation as well...

"What's your title?" "*Volunteer* UK media contact." They always leave
that bit out ... but I haven't grievously embarrassed the Foundation
in three or four years, so I expect I'll keep the job ;-)

- d.

Re: Long Term Projects

geni
2008/9/9 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/9 Cary Bass <[hidden email]>:
>
>> David is a highly active member of Comcom in his own right, and
>> regularly corresponds on behalf of the foundation as well...
>

> "What's your title?" "*Volunteer* UK media contact." They always leave
> that bit out ... but I haven't grievously embarrassed the Foundation
> in three or four years, so I expect I'll keep the job ;-)

Well thats your story. We never did find out what the heck the sun was
going on about with regards to their article on our [[List of big-bust
models and performers]].

--
geni

Re: Long Term Projects

Gordon Joly
At 18:10 +0100 9/9/08, David Gerard wrote:

>2008/9/9 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:
>>  On Tue, September 9, 2008 16:07, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
>>>  Liaising with the press is certainly something WM UK could do.
>
>>  Actually, it is something that we *already* do, and have done successfully
>>  for a long time. sfaiaa both David and I get daily calls and emails from
>>  the press and respond in a timely manner to them and continue to do so.
>

>Both our numbers are in way too many media directories and are likely
>to stay there. (Both as "WMUK" and "UK volunteer contact for WMF";
>journalists don't care about the distinction, just as long as the
>person on the other end is helpful and quotable.)
>
>I've already said to Thomas I'm quite happy to continue to have my
>number (07733 223 584! There it is!) bandied about the whole Internet
>(you'd be surprised how few crank calls I get ... the last one was
>when someone Rickrolled me by phone several weeks ago) - though I'm
>currently in a Volunteerism Addiction Denial Phase so unlikely to put
>my head on the block for the new board as such ;-) So WMUK2 should
>have a chair willing to answer silly calls (always a good idea) and
>say the same standard phrases over and over.
>
>- d.

David,

Please keep up the good work. I would miss your dulcet tones on Radio 4...

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/