Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Quim Gil-2
Hi, this is a request from the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer Summit
2016 (San Francisco, January 9-11).

We are looking for candidates to become main topics of the next Summit.
Ideally complex topics with a high user impact (direct or indirect) and
ramifications in multiple technical areas. Deciding a few main topics
beforehand will help us inviting the people needing to be involved,
especially non-WMF contributors requiring travel sponsorship.

We are also looking for volunteers who want to get involved in the
organization of the Summit, or want to provide feedback to improve our
plans.

If you have proposals for main topics and/or want to volunteer, please
reply.

Context: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit_2017 &
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-September/086476.html

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Bill Morrisson
Hello,

I would love to volunteer, is there any particular task to do??

On Sep 8, 2016 11:08 AM, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, this is a request from the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer Summit
> 2016 (San Francisco, January 9-11).
>
> We are looking for candidates to become main topics of the next Summit.
> Ideally complex topics with a high user impact (direct or indirect) and
> ramifications in multiple technical areas. Deciding a few main topics
> beforehand will help us inviting the people needing to be involved,
> especially non-WMF contributors requiring travel sponsorship.
>
> We are also looking for volunteers who want to get involved in the
> organization of the Summit, or want to provide feedback to improve our
> plans.
>
> If you have proposals for main topics and/or want to volunteer, please
> reply.
>
> Context: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit_2017 &
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-
> September/086476.html
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

MZMcBride-2
Quim Gil wrote:
>Hi, this is a request from the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer
>Summit 2016 (San Francisco, January 9-11).

I think you mean 2017, otherwise the listed dates don't make sense.

Who specifically are the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer Summit 2017?

I have a question for the organizers: will the summit be open to anyone or
will it be invitation-only as it has been in past years? Who decides this?

Regarding main topics, I think we should make it easier to log in to
Wikimedia wikis and control your identity when on-wiki. Specifically,
supporting login via e-mail address, case-insensitive login, and a
user-configurable "display name" field that's shown in page histories, on
user pages, etc.

I'm interested in volunteering to provide feedback about the upcoming
summit. I've attended one or two summits in the past and I have thoughts.

MZMcBride

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Quim Gil-2
Hi Billghost, thank you for your interest!

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Bill Morrisson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would love to volunteer, is there any particular task to do??

We are bootstrapping the event, and there are two immediate tasks where
everyone's help is welcome:

BRAINSTORMING MAIN TOPICS

Do you have specific proposals for the (say) five main Summit topics that
should be selected? Can you help spreading this question to your contacts
and the venues in our technical community where you are active? All the
suggestions are being collected at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Tb6bztglijowk8x3.

For instance, you have gone through a Google Summer of Code project, and
right now you possess a very valuable experience that others haven't
acquired yet, or have forgotten about: the experience of a new developer
dealing for the first time with our collaboration processes, our developer
environment, our documentation, and the people and behaviors in our
community. Your ideas about which main topic should the Summit address are
interesting, and your help spreading the word among other GSoC students,
mentors, and newcomers in general is very important.

Other people reading these lines can apply the same idea to their own case.
Whatever is your background and areas of interest, your perspective and
influence in the definition of the Summit is welcome.

SUMMIT LANDING PAGE

We could use some help on the Summit landing page and related pages. See

Wikimedia Developer Summit Wiki up
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T141935

Until now we have got functional wiki pages for Summit participants but no
focus in outreach through those wiki pages at all. Many things could be
done in theory, but what can we realistically do here and now, with the
hands we have? See you in the task?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 1:36 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Who specifically are the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer Summit 2017?

Rachel Farrand is the event organizer and I am the budget owner. We want to
bootstrap an actual organization team this year, and I have shared our
current idas at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Tb8g53x15wvhoc5e

> I have a question for the organizers: will the summit be open to anyone or
> will it be invitation-only as it has been in past years? Who decides this?

Rachel and I ultimately decide how the Summit registration works.

We are leaning toward invitation-only precisely to support the idea of
"open to anyone". As explained in [0] and [1], we want to reach out to
different audiences that usually haven't got much representation in the
Summit, we have a capacity limit, and we want to avoid that the regular
participants of the Summit takes all seats just because they already know
they want to attend and register sooner.

"Invitation-only" would mean that anyone can fill the form to request
registration free of charge, but their request would need to be accepted in
order to become confirmed participants of the Summit. Another piece of
context is that we are interested in improving remote participation, where
the limitations of event capacity and travel costs don't apply.

[0]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-September/086448.html
("AUDIENCE")
[1]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-September/086468.html

Regarding main topics, I think we should make it easier to log in to
> Wikimedia wikis and control your identity when on-wiki. Specifically,
> supporting login via e-mail address, case-insensitive login, and a
> user-configurable "display name" field that's shown in page histories, on
> user pages, etc.

Added to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Tb6bztglijowk8x3 (anyone with
suggestions for main Summit topics can do so too).

> I'm interested in volunteering to provide feedback about the upcoming
> summit. I've attended one or two summits in the past and I have thoughts.

Please go ahead and share your feedback in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Developer_Summit_2017. You
can also provide feedback about specific tasks underhttps://
phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-developer-summit/, and we keep
monitoring wikitech-l.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Hi Quim and everyone on the list,

One of my spare time project is to "translate" programming languages to
Esperanto. I already achieved a Javascript translation within the
Babylscript project <http://www.babylscript.com/>. Currently I'm working
on a translation of Lua <https://github.com/psychoslave/lupa>. I chose
Lua because I wish I was able to code in (somewhat) plain Esperanto when
writing Scribunto modules on Esperanto Wikimedia projects.

So, I would be happy to know opinions of other developers about such a
project, and even more important, what steps would you see as necessary
to make it possible. Would that be a project interesting for a Wikimedia
Developer Summit?

Kind regards,
mathieu

Le 08/09/2016 à 12:08, Quim Gil a écrit :

> Hi, this is a request from the organizers of the Wikimedia Developer Summit
> 2016 (San Francisco, January 9-11).
>
> We are looking for candidates to become main topics of the next Summit.
> Ideally complex topics with a high user impact (direct or indirect) and
> ramifications in multiple technical areas. Deciding a few main topics
> beforehand will help us inviting the people needing to be involved,
> especially non-WMF contributors requiring travel sponsorship.
>
> We are also looking for volunteers who want to get involved in the
> organization of the Summit, or want to provide feedback to improve our
> plans.
>
> If you have proposals for main topics and/or want to volunteer, please
> reply.
>
> Context: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit_2017 &
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-September/086476.html

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Quim Gil-2
Hi Mathieu, let me retry to reply with a generic answer that might be
useful to other people thinking about proposing topics for the Summit.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Mathieu Stumpf Guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Quim and everyone on the list,
>
> One of my spare time project is to "translate" programming languages to
> Esperanto. I already achieved a Javascript translation within the
> Babylscript project <http://www.babylscript.com/>. Currently I'm working
> on a translation of Lua <https://github.com/psychoslave/lupa>. I chose
> Lua because I wish I was able to code in (somewhat) plain Esperanto when
> writing Scribunto modules on Esperanto Wikimedia projects.
>
> So, I would be happy to know opinions of other developers about such a
> project, and even more important, what steps would you see as necessary
> to make it possible. Would that be a project interesting for a Wikimedia
> Developer Summit?

Let's start with the definition of the Wikimedia developer Summit:

"The annual meeting to push the evolution of MediaWiki and other
technologies supporting the Wikimedia movement."

Is your topic within scope? Then let's continue with the main topics
proposed for this edition:

* A plan for the Community Wishlist 2016 top results
* Handling wiki content beyond plaintext
* A unified vision for editorial collaboration
* Building a sustainable user experience together
* Building on Wikimedia services: APIs and Developer Resources
* How to manage our technical debt
* Artificial Intelligence to build and navigate content
* How to grow our technical community

Does your proposal fit in any of these main topics? If so, you are
especially encourage to submit a proposal for an activity. If not, you
still can propose an Unconference session. The interest raised by your
proposal (in the form of active participation and subscribers) will help
you and us organizers figure out the best time and place for this activity.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit/Call_for_participation#Selection_process

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Looking for WikiDev Summit main topics and volunteers

Scott MacLeod
Hi Quim and Wikitechans,

I'd like to volunteer especially re what I've recently emailed about in the
email thread "[Wikitech-l] How to grow our technical community - Wikimedia
Developer Summit," especially it's Wikimedia multi-lingual focus.

Scott

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mathieu, let me retry to reply with a generic answer that might be
> useful to other people thinking about proposing topics for the Summit.
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Mathieu Stumpf Guntz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Quim and everyone on the list,
> >
> > One of my spare time project is to "translate" programming languages to
> > Esperanto. I already achieved a Javascript translation within the
> > Babylscript project <http://www.babylscript.com/>. Currently I'm working
> > on a translation of Lua <https://github.com/psychoslave/lupa>. I chose
> > Lua because I wish I was able to code in (somewhat) plain Esperanto when
> > writing Scribunto modules on Esperanto Wikimedia projects.
> >
> > So, I would be happy to know opinions of other developers about such a
> > project, and even more important, what steps would you see as necessary
> > to make it possible. Would that be a project interesting for a Wikimedia
> > Developer Summit?
> >

> Let's start with the definition of the Wikimedia developer Summit:
>
> "The annual meeting to push the evolution of MediaWiki and other
> technologies supporting the Wikimedia movement."
>
> Is your topic within scope? Then let's continue with the main topics
> proposed for this edition:
>
> * A plan for the Community Wishlist 2016 top results
> * Handling wiki content beyond plaintext
> * A unified vision for editorial collaboration
> * Building a sustainable user experience together
> * Building on Wikimedia services: APIs and Developer Resources
> * How to manage our technical debt
> * Artificial Intelligence to build and navigate content
> * How to grow our technical community
>
> Does your proposal fit in any of these main topics? If so, you are
> especially encourage to submit a proposal for an activity. If not, you
> still can propose an Unconference session. The interest raised by your
> proposal (in the form of active participation and subscribers) will help
> you and us organizers figure out the best time and place for this activity.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_
> Summit/Call_for_participation#Selection_process
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- http://scottmacleod.com

- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.