Looking for examples and suggestions for research project on my work at UNESCO

Looking for examples and suggestions for research project on my work at UNESCO

john cummings-3
Dear all

I've been working as Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO for the past two
years working on a number of activities including:

* Sharing UNESCO media content on Wikimedia projects
* Sharing UNESCO open license text on English language Wikipedia
* Promoting Wiki Loves competitions through UNESCO social media
* Encouraging other UN agencies to adopt open licenses.

More information is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_Nations

I'm working with a researcher at UNESCO to understand the impact of what
I've been doing and would like to some suggestions on where to start with a
research project. The researcher has a background in statistics and is
familiar with R but is not very knowledgeable about Wikimedia projects. I'm
not familiar with much of the research done on Wikimedia projects other
than metrics tools like BaGLAMa, GLAMorgan etc that I use for reporting. I
guess what I'm looking for is a general overview and case studies on
research projects done on Wikimedia projects and any specific examples done
with the kind of work I'm doing.

Many thanks

John

Re: Looking for examples and suggestions for research project on my work at UNESCO

Jonathan Morgan
hi John,

When you say "research project", do you mean specifically "measure the
impact of a program or event", or do you mean something more general?

- J

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 6:27 AM, john cummings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I've been working as Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO for the past two
> years working on a number of activities including:
>
> * Sharing UNESCO media content on Wikimedia projects
> * Sharing UNESCO open license text on English language Wikipedia
> * Promoting Wiki Loves competitions through UNESCO social media
> * Encouraging other UN agencies to adopt open licenses.
>
> More information is here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_Nations
>
> I'm working with a researcher at UNESCO to understand the impact of what
> I've been doing and would like to some suggestions on where to start with a
> research project. The researcher has a background in statistics and is
> familiar with R but is not very knowledgeable about Wikimedia projects. I'm
> not familiar with much of the research done on Wikimedia projects other
> than metrics tools like BaGLAMa, GLAMorgan etc that I use for reporting. I
> guess what I'm looking for is a general overview and case studies on
> research projects done on Wikimedia projects and any specific examples done
> with the kind of work I'm doing.
>
> Many thanks
>
> John

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Looking for examples and suggestions for research project on my work at UNESCO

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
To what extend does UNESCO hold open licenced texts in languages other than
English?
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 25 June 2017 at 15:27, john cummings <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I've been working as Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO for the past two
> years working on a number of activities including:
>
> * Sharing UNESCO media content on Wikimedia projects
> * Sharing UNESCO open license text on English language Wikipedia
> * Promoting Wiki Loves competitions through UNESCO social media
> * Encouraging other UN agencies to adopt open licenses.
>
> More information is here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_Nations
>
> I'm working with a researcher at UNESCO to understand the impact of what
> I've been doing and would like to some suggestions on where to start with a
> research project. The researcher has a background in statistics and is
> familiar with R but is not very knowledgeable about Wikimedia projects. I'm
> not familiar with much of the research done on Wikimedia projects other
> than metrics tools like BaGLAMa, GLAMorgan etc that I use for reporting. I
> guess what I'm looking for is a general overview and case studies on
> research projects done on Wikimedia projects and any specific examples done
> with the kind of work I'm doing.
>
> Many thanks
>
> John

Re: Looking for examples and suggestions for research project on my work at UNESCO

Ed Summers
Hi John,

I suspect you've seen this already, but you can use MediaWiki's external link search to search for links to UNESCO. For example here's how to find links to resources hosted at en.unesco.org/mediabank in the commons:

    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?target=http%3A%2F%2Fen.unesco.org%2Fmediabank&title=Special%3ALinkSearch&uselang=en

You can do searches like that on all the language Wikipedias. Maybe it could yield some interesting data for analysis? If you're interested I have some code for collecting the links automatically:

    https://github.com/edsu/wikilinks

Also, a few years ago Liam Wyatt prepared a report for the National Museum of Australia about their relationship with Wikimedia. Perhaps there are some ideas/approaches in there that could be useful for your project?

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Wikipedia_-_National_Museum_of_Australia_Situation_Report%2C_February_2012.pdf

Good luck!

//Ed