Looking to hire developer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking to hire developer

Matthew McDermott
Hello,

I am from the editorial side, not the developer side and so need to hire
some help for my nonprofit's arts wiki (history and criticism).

These are my problems, let me know how long it would take, when you
could start, and what you think is fair value for the work.

I am anxious to have the work done very soon. Please have the time
available now if you are interested.

Needed fixes:

1. For some reason there is no "Create New Article" element to my wiki.

2. I need someone to switch the flower logo out and put in my own.

3. I need someone to edit the navigation for me.

4. I need my Creative Commons logo put in the far botton box.

5. The Upload File page says it is set to no uploads - I would like
uploads to be enabled.

6. I need the permissioning checked and set so anyone can edit but only
registered, logged-in users can create a new article.

7. There are errors in red in my index.php file and I need someone to
evaluate them and fix them if they are significant.

8. Is there any kind of hack out there to simplify the writer's access
to image/media files while working in the central wiki page space?

Thanks,
Matt

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking to hire developer

Rob Church
You can have these tips for nothing.

1. There isn't one. To create a new page, either [a] enter the name in
the search box, click Go, and click the "create this page" link on the
search results form, or [b] create what's known as a "redlink" to it
on another page, and click that link.

2. Edit LocalSettings.php, find $wgLogo = ... and edit it to point to
the path of your logo file.

3. Visit the MediaWiki:Sidebar page on your wiki and edit it according
to the instructions at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Navigation_bar.

4. A little trickier, but still fine. Edit LocalSettings.php again and
scroll the the bottom; there are several directives there for
licensing logos, etc. - see
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Configuration_settings#Copyright
for help with these.

5. [a] Make the images directory writable by the web server (CHMOD
777) and [b] still in LocalSettings.php, find the commented-out line #
$wgEnableUploads = true; - uncomment this.

6. This isn't strictly possible with the release versions of
MediaWiki, but it might be easier to hack in than we think. Let me
know if you're interested, although I don't envision charging for a
simple hack like that.

7. What errors?

8. I'm not sure what's meant by this.

This stuff should give you a bit of a kick-start.


Rob Church


On 11/01/06, Matthew McDermott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am from the editorial side, not the developer side and so need to hire
> some help for my nonprofit's arts wiki (history and criticism).
>
> These are my problems, let me know how long it would take, when you
> could start, and what you think is fair value for the work.
>
> I am anxious to have the work done very soon. Please have the time
> available now if you are interested.
>
> Needed fixes:
>
> 1. For some reason there is no "Create New Article" element to my wiki.
>
> 2. I need someone to switch the flower logo out and put in my own.
>
> 3. I need someone to edit the navigation for me.
>
> 4. I need my Creative Commons logo put in the far botton box.
>
> 5. The Upload File page says it is set to no uploads - I would like
> uploads to be enabled.
>
> 6. I need the permissioning checked and set so anyone can edit but only
> registered, logged-in users can create a new article.
>
> 7. There are errors in red in my index.php file and I need someone to
> evaluate them and fix them if they are significant.
>
> 8. Is there any kind of hack out there to simplify the writer's access
> to image/media files while working in the central wiki page space?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking to hire developer

Erik Moeller-2
Rob Church:
> You can have these tips for nothing.
>
> 1. There isn't one. To create a new page, either [a] enter the name in
> the search box, click Go, and click the "create this page" link on the
> search results form, or [b] create what's known as a "redlink" to it
> on another page, and click that link.

Or [c] use the Inputbox extension:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Inputbox

;-)

Best,

Erik
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking to hire developer

Rob Church
Heh. Did think of that, actually. ;-)


Rob Church

On 11/01/06, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Church:
> > You can have these tips for nothing.
> >
> > 1. There isn't one. To create a new page, either [a] enter the name in
> > the search box, click Go, and click the "create this page" link on the
> > search results form, or [b] create what's known as a "redlink" to it
> > on another page, and click that link.
>
> Or [c] use the Inputbox extension:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Inputbox
>
> ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> Erik
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l