Looking to interview Wikipedians

Benjamin Keith Johnson
I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and all
levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will be
conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for your
time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State University,
by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.

Thanks!
Benjamin

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Subsume
Sounds good.

Stephen Yeago
312 279 6769

On 3/20/07, Benjamin Keith Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and all
> levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will be
> conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for your
> time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
> and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
> Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State University,
> by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.
>
> Thanks!
> Benjamin

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It sounds good only when the bias towards Wikipedia and the US is
intentional. It sounds good when it will be explicitly mentioned it the
paper that is to be produced as a result. This paper will not reflect
Wikipedia not even the English version of it.
Thanks,
    GerardM

Steve schreef:

> Sounds good.
>
> Stephen Yeago
> 312 279 6769
>
> On 3/20/07, Benjamin Keith Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and all
>> levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will be
>> conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for your
>> time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
>> and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
>> Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State University,
>> by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Benjamin

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Subsume
Gee did I just do that?

Woops.

-S

On 3/20/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good.
>
> Stephen Yeago
> 312 279 6769
>
> On 3/20/07, Benjamin Keith Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and all
> > levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will be
> > conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for your
> > time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
> > and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
> > Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State University,
> > by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Benjamin

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया] فريدريك نورونيا
I'm just a poor Indian. Could I change my domicile to claim that $10
gift certificate :-) FN

On 20/03/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gee did I just do that?
>
> Woops.
>
> -S
>
> On 3/20/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sounds good.
> >
> > Stephen Yeago
> > 312 279 6769
> >
> > On 3/20/07, Benjamin Keith Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and all
> > > levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will be
> > > conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for your
> > > time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
> > > and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
> > > Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State University,
> > > by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Benjamin

FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
What bloggers are saying about Goa: http://planet.goa-india.org/

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Thomas Dalton
> It sounds good only when the bias towards Wikipedia and the US is
> intentional.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bias towards Wikipedia". The apparent
US bias is unfortunate, though. He doesn't say what he's doing the
interviews for - if the subject matter is specific to the US, then it
would make sense to only interview US Wikipedians.

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Thomas Dalton
> Woops.

I think that about sums it up...

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Please quote correctly; what I wrote was "bias towards Wikipedia and the
US". For the rest you repeat after me.

US Wikipedians will probably all be working on the English language
Wikipedia. It means that all the skills and experience associated with
small communities, working on an encyclopaedia that does not cover all
subject matter. Working on languages where the community it is done for
does not know what Wikipedia is, it is that experience that will be
missing. In that way it will hardly cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
Thanks,
     GerardM

Thomas Dalton schreef:
>> It sounds good only when the bias towards Wikipedia and the US is
>> intentional.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "bias towards Wikipedia". The apparent
> US bias is unfortunate, though. He doesn't say what he's doing the
> interviews for - if the subject matter is specific to the US, then it
> would make sense to only interview US Wikipedians.

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Thomas Dalton
> Please quote correctly; what I wrote was "bias towards Wikipedia and the
> US". For the rest you repeat after me.

Ah, I put the pauses in the wrong place. I read it as "bias towards
Wikipedia and bias towards the US", you meant "bias towards (Wikipedia
and the US)". Makes more sense now, thanks.

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

phoebe ayers-3
You might want to send this over to Wiki-research-l as well (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l). There's been a
few projects to interview Wikipedia contributors in the past and people may
have ideas and questions. In addition, I and no doubt others from that list
would be interested in your methodology, why contributors must be a U.S.
resident, what you're trying to find out, and all those other pesky research
questions :)

cheers,
phoebe

On 3/20/07, Benjamin Keith Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of any and
> all
> levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour interviews will
> be
> conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation for
> your
> time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must be 18+
> and U.S. resident.  Contact Benjamin Johnson, Department of
> Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, Michigan State
> University,
> by email at [hidden email] or by phone at 517.230.1272.
>
> Thanks!
> Benjamin

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Robert Brockway
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> US Wikipedians will probably all be working on the English language
> Wikipedia. It means that all the skills and experience associated with
> small communities, working on an encyclopaedia that does not cover all
> subject matter. Working on languages where the community it is done for
> does not know what Wikipedia is, it is that experience that will be
> missing. In that way it will hardly cover the breadth of Wikipedia.

He doesn't claim to be attempting to cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
Implicit in the post is that it concerns Wikipedia usage in the United
States.

I find it is common for people to mistake limits placed on a study with a
bias in the study.  Let me give another example that might make this
clearer.  If a study concerns left handed people (one of the most commonly
studied groups) then failing to include non-left handed people is not a
bias in the study, it is a function of the limits of a study.  Similarly
if a study wanted only left handed US residents then the study would be
about left handed US residents.  This does not imply any bias in the
study.  Any study worthy of the name will go in to great detail when it
comes to methodology of subject selection and any subsequent testing that
is done.

It will be great when smaller WP communities are studied too but this
study clearly isn't doing that.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Given that the argument why only American people were included was the
cost of international telephony, your argument sucks. By restricting the
study to the United States it is explicitly about Wikipedia usage in the
United States. When you want to come to a conclusion on any subject with
respect to policies in the English language Wikipedia, the result will
not reflect how this project works.

When you study left handed people, you will find only what is only true
to left handed people by comparing the results to right handed people.
Thanks,
     GerardM

Robert Brockway schreef:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>

>> US Wikipedians will probably all be working on the English language
>> Wikipedia. It means that all the skills and experience associated with
>> small communities, working on an encyclopaedia that does not cover all
>> subject matter. Working on languages where the community it is done for
>> does not know what Wikipedia is, it is that experience that will be
>> missing. In that way it will hardly cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
>>

> He doesn't claim to be attempting to cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
> Implicit in the post is that it concerns Wikipedia usage in the United
> States.
>
> I find it is common for people to mistake limits placed on a study with a
> bias in the study.  Let me give another example that might make this
> clearer.  If a study concerns left handed people (one of the most commonly
> studied groups) then failing to include non-left handed people is not a
> bias in the study, it is a function of the limits of a study.  Similarly
> if a study wanted only left handed US residents then the study would be
> about left handed US residents.  This does not imply any bias in the
> study.  Any study worthy of the name will go in to great detail when it
> comes to methodology of subject selection and any subsequent testing that
> is done.
>
> It will be great when smaller WP communities are studied too but this
> study clearly isn't doing that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Subsume
By golly I suppose you'd better just call Michigan State University
and tell them the bad news.

Surely, when they read this INTERNET CONVERSATION they will surely see
their folly in conducting this study. Gerard I think you'd better
contact Harvard, too. Keeping your great wisdom from them is inhumane.

-S

On 3/21/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Given that the argument why only American people were included was the
> cost of international telephony, your argument sucks. By restricting the
> study to the United States it is explicitly about Wikipedia usage in the
> United States. When you want to come to a conclusion on any subject with
> respect to policies in the English language Wikipedia, the result will
> not reflect how this project works.
>
> When you study left handed people, you will find only what is only true
> to left handed people by comparing the results to right handed people.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> Robert Brockway schreef:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >

> >> US Wikipedians will probably all be working on the English language
> >> Wikipedia. It means that all the skills and experience associated with
> >> small communities, working on an encyclopaedia that does not cover all
> >> subject matter. Working on languages where the community it is done for
> >> does not know what Wikipedia is, it is that experience that will be
> >> missing. In that way it will hardly cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
> >>

> > He doesn't claim to be attempting to cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
> > Implicit in the post is that it concerns Wikipedia usage in the United
> > States.
> >
> > I find it is common for people to mistake limits placed on a study with a
> > bias in the study.  Let me give another example that might make this
> > clearer.  If a study concerns left handed people (one of the most commonly
> > studied groups) then failing to include non-left handed people is not a
> > bias in the study, it is a function of the limits of a study.  Similarly
> > if a study wanted only left handed US residents then the study would be
> > about left handed US residents.  This does not imply any bias in the
> > study.  Any study worthy of the name will go in to great detail when it
> > comes to methodology of subject selection and any subsequent testing that
> > is done.
> >
> > It will be great when smaller WP communities are studied too but this
> > study clearly isn't doing that.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rob

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Steve please tell me /why /I am wrong in stead of resorting to a
personal attack, not nice.

Thanks, for your recommendation to Harvard. However, given that I am of
an age that working is more likely than studying, I hope that your
recommendation is also good for Google.. :)

Thanks,
    GerardM

Steve schreef:

> By golly I suppose you'd better just call Michigan State University
> and tell them the bad news.
>
> Surely, when they read this INTERNET CONVERSATION they will surely see
> their folly in conducting this study. Gerard I think you'd better
> contact Harvard, too. Keeping your great wisdom from them is inhumane.
>
> -S
>
> On 3/21/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>> Given that the argument why only American people were included was the
>> cost of international telephony, your argument sucks. By restricting the
>> study to the United States it is explicitly about Wikipedia usage in the
>> United States. When you want to come to a conclusion on any subject with
>> respect to policies in the English language Wikipedia, the result will
>> not reflect how this project works.
>>
>> When you study left handed people, you will find only what is only true
>> to left handed people by comparing the results to right handed people.
>> Thanks,
>>      GerardM
>>
>> Robert Brockway schreef:

>>> He doesn't claim to be attempting to cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
>>> Implicit in the post is that it concerns Wikipedia usage in the United
>>> States.
>>>
>>> I find it is common for people to mistake limits placed on a study with a
>>> bias in the study.  Let me give another example that might make this
>>> clearer.  If a study concerns left handed people (one of the most commonly
>>> studied groups) then failing to include non-left handed people is not a
>>> bias in the study, it is a function of the limits of a study.  Similarly
>>> if a study wanted only left handed US residents then the study would be
>>> about left handed US residents.  This does not imply any bias in the
>>> study.  Any study worthy of the name will go in to great detail when it
>>> comes to methodology of subject selection and any subsequent testing that
>>> is done.
>>>
>>> It will be great when smaller WP communities are studied too but this
>>> study clearly isn't doing that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rob

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Subsume
Sure, Gerard. =)

I don't think either of us know enough about the study to make long
guesses/judgments about its methods. While I definitely think the
points you make are valid and better than most, whether or not it
applies to this study remains to be seen. While WP-l is a good place
to get into lengthy debates, its all premature.

Until of course we see the study cited in the Washington Post. Then
we'll all get together and talk about what a bunch of lies it is. =)

-Steve

On 3/21/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Steve please tell me /why /I am wrong in stead of resorting to a
> personal attack, not nice.
>
> Thanks, for your recommendation to Harvard. However, given that I am of
> an age that working is more likely than studying, I hope that your
> recommendation is also good for Google.. :)
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> Steve schreef:
> > By golly I suppose you'd better just call Michigan State University
> > and tell them the bad news.
> >
> > Surely, when they read this INTERNET CONVERSATION they will surely see
> > their folly in conducting this study. Gerard I think you'd better
> > contact Harvard, too. Keeping your great wisdom from them is inhumane.
> >
> > -S
> >
> > On 3/21/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hoi,
> >> Given that the argument why only American people were included was the
> >> cost of international telephony, your argument sucks. By restricting the
> >> study to the United States it is explicitly about Wikipedia usage in the
> >> United States. When you want to come to a conclusion on any subject with
> >> respect to policies in the English language Wikipedia, the result will
> >> not reflect how this project works.
> >>
> >> When you study left handed people, you will find only what is only true
> >> to left handed people by comparing the results to right handed people.
> >> Thanks,
> >>      GerardM

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Ronald Chmara

On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Benjamin Keith Johnson wrote:

> I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of
> any and all
> levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour
> interviews will be
> conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation
> for your
> time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must
> be 18+
> and U.S. resident.

How would you like to verify my age?
Oh, you want me to send credit card info? Billing zip code? CCV
digits? Birth certificate? SSN?

Studies like these are a nightmare to set up.

-Bop

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

J.L.W.S. The Special One
Sorry, I'm from Singapore, and I'm a minor, so count me out.

On 3/22/07, Ronald Chmara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Benjamin Keith Johnson wrote:
>
> > I am a researcher seeking to interview Wikipedia contributors of
> > any and all
> > levels of experience and involvement.  In-depth, one hour
> > interviews will be
> > conducted over the phone or email beginning March 27.  Compensation
> > for your
> > time will be provided – a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.  Must
> > be 18+
> > and U.S. resident.
>
> How would you like to verify my age?
> Oh, you want me to send credit card info? Billing zip code? CCV
> digits? Birth certificate? SSN?
>
> Studies like these are a nightmare to set up.
>
> -Bop

Written with passion,
J.L.W.S. The Special One

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
When this study hits the Washington Post and we look at it and consider it a
bunch of lies, we are to blame when we did not speak up when we had the
chance to do so.

When you consider peer review, it is always done after the fact. It is much
better to have input before a study is started. Those issues that are
obvious can be addressed before time and money is wasted. It also leads to
better science.

If there is one study I would like to see done, is a wikipedia with a large
ex-pat community and see how that affects the NPOV of the project.

Thanks,
    Gerard

On 3/21/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, Gerard. =)
>
> I don't think either of us know enough about the study to make long
> guesses/judgments about its methods. While I definitely think the
> points you make are valid and better than most, whether or not it
> applies to this study remains to be seen. While WP-l is a good place
> to get into lengthy debates, its all premature.
>
> Until of course we see the study cited in the Washington Post. Then
> we'll all get together and talk about what a bunch of lies it is. =)
>
> -Steve
>
> On 3/21/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > Steve please tell me /why /I am wrong in stead of resorting to a
> > personal attack, not nice.
> >
> > Thanks, for your recommendation to Harvard. However, given that I am of
> > an age that working is more likely than studying, I hope that your
> > recommendation is also good for Google.. :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >     GerardM
> >
> > Steve schreef:
> > > By golly I suppose you'd better just call Michigan State University
> > > and tell them the bad news.
> > >
> > > Surely, when they read this INTERNET CONVERSATION they will surely see
> > > their folly in conducting this study. Gerard I think you'd better
> > > contact Harvard, too. Keeping your great wisdom from them is inhumane.
> > >
> > > -S

> the
> the
> the
> with
> will

> true
> people.

> with
> all
> for

> United

> with a
> commonly
> not a
> study.  Similarly
> be
> it
> that

> this

Re: Looking to interview Wikipedians

Subsume
Hmm... nope. Wasn't like that at all.

-S

On 3/22/07, GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> When this study hits the Washington Post and we look at it and consider it
> bunch of lies, we are to blame when we did not speak up when we had the
> chance to do so.
>
> When you consider peer review, it is always done after the fact. It is
> much
> better to have input before a study is started. Those issues that are
> obvious can be addressed before time and money is wasted. It also leads to
> better science.
>
> If there is one study I would like to see done, is a wikipedia with a
> large
> ex-pat community and see how that affects the NPOV of the project.
>
> Thanks,
>     Gerard

Gerard and all,

There is certainly more than one study that can and should be done. I for
one would welcome *any* more data about Wikipedia contributors, even if it
was limited to Wikipedia contributors living in Dubuque, Iowa between 2004
and 2005, so long as that limitation was taken into account and made clear
in the study. There is no such thing as "the perfect study," and I am sure
that you will agree that not all ex-pat or non-US English-language
perspectives are the same either. Generalizing about all "wikipedia
contributors" based on *any* cross section of the data will likely be
flawed.

I think what this points to is that we simply need more good, rigorous
studies of contributors. I am glad that this researcher made his IRB-imposed
and methodological limits clear up front, rather than so many projects which
simply say "we're studying Wikipedia contributors" -- and I am glad that
contributors to this list and others are willing to share ideas and
experience to help make research projects better. I think he and others have
probably realized after this thread that the more information you can
provide about your study, the better :) However, let's not acquire a
reputation of flaming any research project that gets proposed.

-- phoebe

p.s. Mr. Johnson noted on the research-l list that the US constraint was an
IRB requirement. For those who are not familiar with the concept of an
[[Institutional Review Board]]... the requirements set by an IRB are
generally not optional, if you want to do your study on university time with
university money, and/or get it published anywhere.  You can try as a
researcher to get the IRB to make another decision about the constraints
they set on your particular study ... but if they don't agree then you are
pretty much out of luck. The IRB is free to say things like US-based
contributors only, or you have to take particular privacy measures for
people's data, or you have to hop on your left foot in circles while doing
interviews, and you pretty much have to go with it.