Loss of a Wikipedia portal... Portal: Goa

Loss of a Wikipedia portal... Portal: Goa

Frederick Noronha
We are a small Wikipedia community, struggling to make things work out of
Goa (India). To my dismay, some editor has gone ahead in deleting the Goa
Portal which we have set up for long (on grounds that it has not been
updated). We were in fact trying to update it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Goa/
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Goa/Things_you_can_do>

Instead, would it not be better to help us to keep this portal going and
build it? Rather disappointed. FN
--
FN* फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا‎ +91-9822122436
AUDIO: https://archive.org/details/@fredericknoronha

Re: Loss of a Wikipedia portal... Portal: Goa

Andy Mabbett-2
On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 18:13, Frederick Noronha
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are a small Wikipedia community, struggling to make things work out of
> Goa (India). To my dismay, some editor has gone ahead in deleting the Goa
> Portal which we have set up for long (on grounds that it has not been
> updated).

This was not "some editor", but a  community decision, based on the
discussion at:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/Portal:Goa

You can ask for a review of that decision, if certain criteria are
met, by following the procedure at:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_review

But really, what is the argument for keeping a portal? How many of our
readers visit them?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Loss of a Wikipedia portal... Portal: Goa

Frederick Noronha
We got hardly any time to dispute this decision, and began working on the
portal, when it was deleted! It becomes very difficult for a small
community to fire-fight on such issues, specially when the decisions are
taken in such haste. It took years to build this up; if the argument is
"how many of our readers visit them?" then much of the Wikipedia needs to
be deleted, and only a few pages pertaining to New York, London or some big
cities elsewhere in the planet retained. Does anyone consider how much work
goes into creating such portals in the first place?
We need more of a level playing ground, if the Wikipedia is to really claim
to reflect the diversity of human knowledge. FN

On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 23:29, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 18:13, Frederick Noronha
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We are a small Wikipedia community, struggling to make things work out of
> > Goa (India). To my dismay, some editor has gone ahead in deleting the Goa
> > Portal which we have set up for long (on grounds that it has not been
> > updated).
>
> This was not "some editor", but a  community decision, based on the
> discussion at:
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/Portal:Goa
>
> You can ask for a review of that decision, if certain criteria are
> met, by following the procedure at:
>
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_review
>
> But really, what is the argument for keeping a portal? How many of our
> readers visit them?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Loss of a Wikipedia portal... Portal: Goa

Pine W
Hi Frederick,

I am not familiar with this portal, but I sympathize regarding its loss.
There is good news that the portal was deleted "without prejudice", so a
new Goa portal may be created in the future. If you would like to create an
updated version of the portal then I suggest that you request that an
administrator create a copy of the deleted portal in your user space. You
can work on it there, and when you are ready you can request that the
updated version replace the deleted version.

I hope that this is helpful.

Pine