MW move + upgrade

Jakub Serych
Hi *,
I have MW 1.7.1 server http://panwiki.panska.cz. Now I have got a better box
for it and I want to move my wiki and upgrade to 1.8.x version. Which
solution would you prefare?

1) Completely move 1.7.1 to the new server and than upgrade MW to 1.8.x

or

2) Install clean MW 1.8.x on a new server and than move just contents

Both servers are running Debian Sarge 3.1, PHP5.x and MySQL 5.x

Thanks

Jakub

Re: MW move + upgrade

Rotem Liss-2

Re: MW move + upgrade

Jakub Serych
> > Hi *,
> > I have MW 1.7.1 server http://panwiki.panska.cz. Now I have got a
> > better box for it and I want to move my wiki and upgrade to 1.8.x
> > version. Which solution would you prefare?
> >
> > 1) Completely move 1.7.1 to the new server and than upgrade MW to
> > 1.8.x
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2) Install clean MW 1.8.x on a new server and than move
> just contents
> >
> > Both servers are running Debian Sarge 3.1, PHP5.x and MySQL 5.x
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jakub
> >

> I think that it's better to download 1.7.1 to the new server,
> move the database and LocalSettings.php to there, and then
> upgrading to 1.8.2, because if you upgrade this way, you have
> a built-in utility to do this (just run
> "maintenance/update.php" from the command line after updating
> the files to 1.8), and you preserve *all* the previous data,
> including blocks, users, sysops, etc.

Thanks, my opinion is the same, I just wanted to hear other people opinions.
This way is also good possibility how to test backup scripts which I use to
fully backup my wiki. I'll try to restore to the new server from this
backups.

Jakub

Re: MW move + upgrade

MHart
> Thanks, my opinion is the same, I just wanted to hear other people
> opinions.
> This way is also good possibility how to test backup scripts which I use
> fully backup my wiki. I'll try to restore to the new server from this
> backups.

FWIW, I migrated some 70+ wikis to a new server. It went far smoother and
faster than what I had allotted. I'd already done some restores, so I had
the process down for individual wikis.

I now host over 100 wikis. I make full backups weekly to an offsite 1tb RAID
5 NAS, and I make daily automated backups of all databases (locally stored -
RAID 1).

For the migration, I brought down the old server's external access (httpd,
vsftpd). Shut down MySQL. Did a final mysqldump of all dbs. Copied the db
SQL to the new server. Copied all the old folders over (by mounting the old
server's root as a mnt on the new server). Copied over the httpd.conf's
virtualhost entries (all at the end). Did a mysql < .sql to restore the dump
to the new server. Started httpd again and everything worked great.

I've also done dozens of upgrades from 1.3.x and 1.4.x and 1.5.x to a
1.7.1-based baseline. For those, I rename localsettings, copy in the new
files, run the install, update the newly-created localsettings with any
customizations (always at the bottom). No problems.

- MHart