MacArthur Foundation's Digital Drive

Erik Moeller-4
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/nov2006/id20061107_359889.htm?campaign_id=bier_innv.g3a.rss1107y

The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation recently launched a
$50 million, five-year initiative to investigate how and why young
people—who have been bathed in bits and bytes since birth—use the Web,
computer games, cell phones, and other gadgets to learn, play, and
communicate.
To nourish this nascent field, the MacArthur Foundation will give $10
million in grants to individuals and organizations to work on projects
that stimulate research in digital media or explore new approaches to
educational innovation.

The remaining $40 million will be put towards fulfilling the broader
aim of connecting researchers, educators, youth, and practitioners in
different disciplines (and across sectors). A digital knowledge hub is
already in the works, so that teachers from around the world can
compare, contrast, and share research, tools, and findings through
open-source software and online forums.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: MacArthur Foundation's Digital Drive

James Noble
So - will you apply?
Does it make sense to put a US-Canada-NZ-UK team together?

or are we all busy enough as it is!

On 11/14/06, James Noble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So - will you apply?

Me? No, I'm not interested in doing research at the moment. However, I
figured someone else on this list might be.