Mailing lists server migration today

Mark Bergsma-2
Hi,

Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.

During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be unavailable. This shouldn't take more than one hour, if all goes well.

I will report here when things should be back up and running. Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...

Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
Lead Operations Architect

CANCELED: Mailing lists server migration today

Mark Bergsma-2

On Jan 13, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Mark Bergsma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.

...and right after I sent this mail, I rebooted the new server once more before starting the maintenance. But suddenly it refused to come back up, or even reinstall. Likely the server has hardware issues.

Therefore the maintenance is canceled for today, until we've figured out what the problem is. The migration will probably happen next week, possibly using different hardware.

--
Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
Lead Operations Architect

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Thomas Dalton
I advise you delay it again - we need the mailing lists at the moment
to coordinate the blackout.

On 13 January 2012 13:54, Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (rescheduled after the cancelled maintenance of last Friday)
>
> Hi,
>
> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.
>
> During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be unavailable. This shouldn't take about one hour, if all goes well.
>
> I will report here when things should be back up and running. Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
> Lead Operations Architect
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Thomas Dalton
Just seen the datestamp... why did that email just come through now?!

On 18 January 2012 13:42, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I advise you delay it again - we need the mailing lists at the moment
> to coordinate the blackout.
>
> On 13 January 2012 13:54, Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (rescheduled after the cancelled maintenance of last Friday)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.
>>
>> During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be unavailable. This shouldn't take about one hour, if all goes well.
>>
>> I will report here when things should be back up and running. Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
>> Lead Operations Architect
>> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Delphine Ménard
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I advise you delay it again - we need the mailing lists at the moment
> to coordinate the blackout.

Mark's email is 5 days old, so I suppose this has already happened, hasn't it?

Cheers,

Delphine

--
@notafish

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Huib Laurens
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo says the new version, so I
guess so

2012/1/18 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I advise you delay it again - we need the mailing lists at the moment
> > to coordinate the blackout.
>
> Mark's email is 5 days old, so I suppose this has already happened, hasn't
> it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
>

> --
> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Huib Laurens
gmail is having troubles the last few weeks... I miss e-mails daily that
arrive much later...

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Just seen the datestamp... why did that email just come through now?!
>
> On 18 January 2012 13:42, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I advise you delay it again - we need the mailing lists at the moment
> > to coordinate the blackout.
> >
> > On 13 January 2012 13:54, Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> (rescheduled after the cancelled maintenance of last Friday)
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server
> (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data
> center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.
> >>
> >> During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be
> transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will
> be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be
> unavailable. This shouldn't take about one hour, if all goes well.
> >>
> >> I will report here when things should be back up and running.
> Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC
> (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software
> upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
> >> Lead Operations Architect
> >> Wikimedia Foundation

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

COMPLETED: Mailing lists server migration today

Mark Bergsma-2

On <s>Jan 13</s>Jan 18, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Mark Bergsma wrote:

> Today I will be migrating the mailing lists from a very old server (lily) in Amsterdam, to a new server (sodium) in our new Ashburn data center. Mailman will be upgraded to version 2.1.13 along the way.
>
> During the migration, mail will be delayed as all data will need to be transferred to the new host. No mail should go lost, but no new mails will be sent out during the process until done, and the web interface will be unavailable. This shouldn't take about one hour, if all goes well.
>
> I will report here when things should be back up and running. Afterwards, please let us know of any new issues, in bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech). We don't expect any problems, but as with any software upgrade or migration, this can't be guaranteed...

The mailing lists server migration is now complete - Mailman is now running on server sodium.

As some people pointed out, my message earlier today was indeed sent out with the wrong Date header. I simply redirected my old mail and edited it a bit, forgetting that the Date header would not be adjusted by my mail client. Sorry for that. :)

The Mailman migration went smoothly, and I'm not aware of any problems. Please let us know in Bugzilla or on IRC (#wikimedia-tech) if you're experiencing any new issues.

Unfortunately we needed to change the IP address of lists.wikimedia.org for this migration. Some large e-mail providers (e.g. Google) are rate limiting reception of mail messages from the new IP (208.80.154.4) because it's not known and whitelisted yet. To prevent further mail delivery delays today, I've configured the new lists server to forward mails that would otherwise be delayed via the old mail server and old source IP address again, for the time being.

Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
Lead Operations Architect

Re: RESCHEDULED: Mailing lists server migration today

Lodewijk
as explained in another email: it was actually sent today, with the wrong
datestamp.