Main Page protection

Alex G-3
This is probably a major issue, and so I draw everyone's attention to the ongoing discussion.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Full_protection_of_the_Main_Page_.28again....29

Giggy.

Re: Main Page protection

Majorly
On 18/04/2008, Alex G <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is probably a major issue, and so I draw everyone's attention to the ongoing discussion.

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Full_protection_of_the_Main_Page_.28again....29" target="_blank">http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Full_protection_of_the_Main_Page_.28again....29

Giggy.

Hardly what I consider a major issue... it's the main page, and whether it should be protected. Some users seem to think it's OK to allow the front page of our project to get vandalised for the sake of "it's always been unprotected, we must never ever lock it, someone might want to edit it". It's barely edited as it is. Let's not have anymore embarrassment for Commons and protect and cascade it.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

On 18/04/2008, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hardly what I consider a major issue... it's the main page, and whether it
> should be protected. Some users seem to think it's OK to allow the front
> page of our project to get vandalised for the sake of "it's always been
> unprotected, we must never ever lock it, someone might want to edit it".
> It's barely edited as it is. Let's not have anymore embarrassment for
> Commons and protect and cascade it.

I'm actually quite surprised it was unprotected this long, when I
discovered I (not a Commons admin) could edit it ...

- d.

Re: Main Page protection

Daniel Schwen-2
> This is probably a major issue, and so I draw everyone's attention to the
> ongoing discussion.

Am I far off with the assessment that this is more of a symbolical issue
rather than a practical issue?

Which non-admin would even want to edit the main page, and for what reason?
It's just the POTD and MOTD, links to content by categories (changes would
certainly need discussion), and some introductory help text.

--
[[en:User:Dschwen]]
[[de:Benutzer:Dschwen]]

Re: Main Page protection

Majorly
On 18/04/2008, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is probably a major issue, and so I draw everyone's attention to the
> ongoing discussion.

Am I far off with the assessment that this is more of a symbolical issue
rather than a practical issue?

Which non-admin would even want to edit the main page, and for what reason?
It's just the POTD and MOTD, links to content by categories (changes would
certainly need discussion), and some introductory help text.

The only edits made recently have been vandalising it. What good is that?

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Main Page protection

Daniel Schwen-2
> > Which non-admin would even want to edit the main page, and for what
> > reason?
> The only edits made recently have been vandalising it. What good is that?
Yeah, I should have made myself clearer: It's no good, so just leave it
protected :-)
--
[[en:User:Dschwen]]
[[de:Benutzer:Dschwen]]