Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Sylvain Boissel
Hello,

I am currently drafting a short document about what is a Mediawiki
Hackathon. Could you please help me by pinpointing to me some of the
greatest / coolest tools or achievements that were made during previous
Wikimedia Hackathon?

Best regards,
Sylvain.

--
*Sylvain Boissel*
ADMINISTRATEUR SYSTÈME ET RÉSEAUX

*Tél +33 9 80 93 07 54*
*www.wikimedia.fr <http://www.wikimedia.fr/>*
*40 rue de clery, **75002 Paris*
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/691082430#map=19/48.86814/2.34683>

*Imaginez un monde où chaque personne sur la planète aurait librement accès
à la totalité du savoir humain. C'est notre engagement. Aidez Wikimedia
France à en faire une réalité <https://dons.wikimedia.fr>.*

Re: Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Federico Leva (Nemo)
For the last one there is
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=65005&hide_resolved=0
; I don't remember how many had an "achievements" session with
associated notes archived on the wiki, but you can check. ;-)

Nemo

Re: Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Quim Gil-2

> Hello,
>
> I am currently drafting a short document about what is a Mediawiki
> Hackathon.

Just curious, what is this document for?

Slightly related:

Publish the evaluation of the Wikimedia hackathon 2014 in Zurich
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T652

Lessons learned from Wikimania 2014 hackathon
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T768

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Mark A. Hershberger-4
Sylvain Boissel <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am currently drafting a short document about what is a Mediawiki
> Hackathon. Could you please help me by pinpointing to me some of the
> greatest / coolest tools or achievements that were made during previous
> Wikimedia Hackathon?

The real "achievement" of the Wikimedia Hackathon are not individual,
identifiable products that you can now see shipping on Wikimedia sites.

Instead, I would argue (and, this, as a person who prefers to work
remotely) that the achievement of the Hackathons are better social bonds
between MediaWiki developers.  For example, I brought my son to the last
Hackathon in Zurich and introduced him to some core MW developers.

This didn't result in any amazing tool or achievement that I can point
to, but I hope it showed other developers how their work can affect
developers outside their normal circles.

Bottom line: I don't think what you should be looking for are outcomes
that produce new tools.  Instead, how do these hackathons help people
who usually are not in the same location connect with others?

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: Major achievements during previous Mediawiki Hackathons

Amir Sarabadani-2
Reading this blog post by Lila is highly recommended:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/05/15/hacker-osmosis-ideas-european-hackathon-zurich/

In general I agree with Mark :)

Best

On 10/29/14, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sylvain Boissel <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I am currently drafting a short document about what is a Mediawiki
>> Hackathon. Could you please help me by pinpointing to me some of the
>> greatest / coolest tools or achievements that were made during previous
>> Wikimedia Hackathon?
>
> The real "achievement" of the Wikimedia Hackathon are not individual,
> identifiable products that you can now see shipping on Wikimedia sites.
>
> Instead, I would argue (and, this, as a person who prefers to work
> remotely) that the achievement of the Hackathons are better social bonds
> between MediaWiki developers.  For example, I brought my son to the last
> Hackathon in Zurich and introduced him to some core MW developers.
>
> This didn't result in any amazing tool or achievement that I can point
> to, but I hope it showed other developers how their work can affect
> developers outside their normal circles.
>
> Bottom line: I don't think what you should be looking for are outcomes
> that produce new tools.  Instead, how do these hackathons help people
> who usually are not in the same location connect with others?
>
> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084