Making API work on a local Wikipedia installation?

Making API work on a local Wikipedia installation?

johann_p
I have installed MediaWiki 1.11.0 locally and
loaded the english Wikipedia data into the
local MySQL tables.
The standard procedure for creating a local
Wikipedia copy only creates the page, revision,
and text tables.
I have also installed the Cite, ExtensionFunctions,
and ParserFunctions extensions.

When I browse to localhost/wiki/api.php I get
the help page for the api, but all requests
I try return empty results (not an error).

Which additional tables or extensions do I need
to get this to work locally?

Cheers,
   Johann

Re: Making API work on a local Wikipedia installation?

Roan Kattouw
Johann Petrak schreef:

> I have installed MediaWiki 1.11.0 locally and
> loaded the english Wikipedia data into the
> local MySQL tables.
> The standard procedure for creating a local
> Wikipedia copy only creates the page, revision,
> and text tables.
> I have also installed the Cite, ExtensionFunctions,
> and ParserFunctions extensions.
>
> When I browse to localhost/wiki/api.php I get
> the help page for the api, but all requests
> I try return empty results (not an error).
>
> Which additional tables or extensions do I need
> to get this to work locally?

That strongly depends on which queries you're running. If you've only
got the page, revision and text tables, the meta= queries should still
work AFAICT, along with prop=info and prop=revisions. The other prop=
queries and all list= queries will return empty result sets. To make
stuff work, you probably need to run maintenance/rebuildall.php , which
can take a quite some time for such a large wiki.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Making API work on a local Wikipedia installation?

Platonides
Johann Petrak wrote:

> I have installed MediaWiki 1.11.0 locally and
> loaded the english Wikipedia data into the
> local MySQL tables.
> The standard procedure for creating a local
> Wikipedia copy only creates the page, revision,
> and text tables.
> I have also installed the Cite, ExtensionFunctions,
> and ParserFunctions extensions.
>
> When I browse to localhost/wiki/api.php I get
> the help page for the api, but all requests
> I try return empty results (not an error).
>
> Which additional tables or extensions do I need
> to get this to work locally?
>
> Cheers,
>    Johann

Looks that you don't have the additional tables. Run rebuildall.php from
the maintenance folder (note it will take a long time).

Platonides wrote:

> Johann Petrak wrote:
>> I have installed MediaWiki 1.11.0 locally and
>> loaded the english Wikipedia data into the
>> local MySQL tables.
>> The standard procedure for creating a local
>> Wikipedia copy only creates the page, revision,
>> and text tables.
>> I have also installed the Cite, ExtensionFunctions,
>> and ParserFunctions extensions.
>>
>> When I browse to localhost/wiki/api.php I get
>> the help page for the api, but all requests
>> I try return empty results (not an error).
>>
>> Which additional tables or extensions do I need
>> to get this to work locally?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    Johann
>

> Looks that you don't have the additional tables. Run rebuildall.php
> from the maintenance folder (note it will take a long time).

Alternatively, you can download and import the sql files from
download.wikimedia, although they won't be exactly synchronized with the
data you downloaded.