Making a home wiki field in user login

bawolff
Flo said:
>My additional wish would be a way to contact one time contributers. There
>are several ways to achieve this:
>* Creating a field "home wiki" on the resistration form.

How hard could that be? Create a field in the log in page saying ''I
ussually contribute to project x'', preferably this could be done
semi-automatically via referrer headers or wikipedia linking with a
url like http://common.wikimedia.org/wiki/special:userlogin?from=en.wikipedia
. The thing gets automatically filled out, and the user can change it
if he wants. Then when he creates an account, his user page has a
template on it automatically that says, "so and so is usually at foo,
leave a message both here and there". Then if orphanbot [or whatever
you call your bots that send messages] comes a long, sees it, and
leaves a message at both commons and the local wiki.

--bawolff

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Platonides
bawolff wrote:

> Flo said:
>> My additional wish would be a way to contact one time contributers. There
>> are several ways to achieve this:
>> * Creating a field "home wiki" on the resistration form.
>
> How hard could that be? Create a field in the log in page saying ''I
> ussually contribute to project x'', preferably this could be done
> semi-automatically via referrer headers or wikipedia linking with a
> url like http://common.wikimedia.org/wiki/special:userlogin?from=en.wikipedia
> . The thing gets automatically filled out, and the user can change it
> if he wants. Then when he creates an account, his user page has a
> template on it automatically that says, "so and so is usually at foo,
> leave a message both here and there". Then if orphanbot [or whatever
> you call your bots that send messages] comes a long, sees it, and
> leaves a message at both commons and the local wiki.
>
> --bawolff

Easy, but it'd involve a change in db fields.

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Flominator
 "Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, February 10, 2007
4:31 PM:

> bawolff wrote:
>> Flo said:
>>> My additional wish would be a way to contact one time contributers.
>>> There
>>> are several ways to achieve this:
>>> * Creating a field "home wiki" on the resistration form.
>>
>> How hard could that be? Create a field in the log in page saying ''I
>> ussually contribute to project x'', preferably this could be done
>> semi-automatically via referrer headers or wikipedia linking with a
>> url like
>> http://common.wikimedia.org/wiki/special:userlogin?from=en.wikipedia
>> . The thing gets automatically filled out, and the user can change it
>> if he wants. Then when he creates an account, his user page has a
>> template on it automatically that says, "so and so is usually at foo,
>> leave a message both here and there". Then if orphanbot [or whatever
>> you call your bots that send messages] comes a long, sees it, and
>> leaves a message at both commons and the local wiki.
>>
> Easy, but it'd involve a change in db fields.

Not necessary. We could create a link to a userpage that includes a
template, the username and project the way we do it at the deletion requests

Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Bence Damokos

Maybe a crosswiki message notification system after SUL would be the ideal solution?

Bence Damokos wrote:

> Maybe a crosswiki message notification system after SUL would be the
> ideal solution?

I proposed it time ago. But yet, we need SUL before :P (which will help
us a lot, BTW)

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Brianna Laugher
I think it would make more sense to ask the user explicitly, "How
would you like to be informed if your files are nominated for
deletion?"
x Never inform me
x Inform me at my Commons talk page (default)
x Inform my at my talk page at another wiki, which is User:_ at
project _ (fill in the blanks)
x Inform me via email; I have verified my email in my Commons account.

that would be pretty cool actually.
since 'home wikis' can change as people's interests change. and I
think it is generally better to ask what you *mean* rather than what
you think will extract the answer you desire (unintended side effects
creep in...)

Anyway, unfortunately I have to agree with Platonides et al that we
should wait and see exactly what SUL brings. How the watchlist(s) will
work has not been made terribly clear, at least in anything I've seen.

cheers
Brianna

On 11/02/07, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  "Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, February 10, 2007
> 4:31 PM:
>
> > bawolff wrote:
> >>
> >> How hard could that be? Create a field in the log in page saying ''I
> >> ussually contribute to project x'', preferably this could be done
> >> semi-automatically via referrer headers or wikipedia linking with a
> >> url like
> >> http://common.wikimedia.org/wiki/special:userlogin?from=en.wikipedia
> >> . The thing gets automatically filled out, and the user can change it
> >> if he wants. Then when he creates an account, his user page has a
> >> template on it automatically that says, "so and so is usually at foo,
> >> leave a message both here and there". Then if orphanbot [or whatever
> >> you call your bots that send messages] comes a long, sees it, and
> >> leaves a message at both commons and the local wiki.
> >>
> > Easy, but it'd involve a change in db fields.
>
> Not necessary. We could create a link to a userpage that includes a
> template, the username and project the way we do it at the deletion requests
>
> Regards,
>
> Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Stephen Bain
On 2/12/07, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, unfortunately I have to agree with Platonides et al that we
> should wait and see exactly what SUL brings. How the watchlist(s) will
> work has not been made terribly clear, at least in anything I've seen.

I don't know about watchlists, but I seem to remember reading that one
of the main features of SUL would be a unified "new messages" banner
to announce new messages on any project.

--
Stephen Bain

"Brianna Laugher" <[hidden email]>  Sunday, February 11, 2007
2:15 PM:

>I think it would make more sense to ask the user explicitly, "How
> would you like to be informed if your files are nominated for
> deletion?"
> x Never inform me
> x Inform me at my Commons talk page (default)
> x Inform my at my talk page at another wiki, which is User:_ at
> project _ (fill in the blanks)
> x Inform me via email; I have verified my email in my Commons account.

Sounds great.

> that would be pretty cool actually.

> Anyway, unfortunately I have to agree with Platonides et al that we
> should wait and see exactly what SUL brings. How the watchlist(s) will
> work has not been made terribly clear, at least in anything I've seen.

Why not inplementing a javascript and/or template solution before waiting
for another few years?

Regards,

Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Bryan Tong Minh
Implementing watchlists in Javascript? I have implemented a watchlist
in javascript [1], but the problem is that javascript does not allow
cross website scripting. So there is no way I can fetch the data from
an other hostname.

Bryan
[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:ExtendedWatchlist

On 2/11/07, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Brianna Laugher" <[hidden email]>  Sunday, February 11, 2007
> 2:15 PM:
>

> >I think it would make more sense to ask the user explicitly, "How
> > would you like to be informed if your files are nominated for
> > deletion?"
> > x Never inform me
> > x Inform me at my Commons talk page (default)
> > x Inform my at my talk page at another wiki, which is User:_ at
> > project _ (fill in the blanks)
> > x Inform me via email; I have verified my email in my Commons account.
>
> Sounds great.
>
> > that would be pretty cool actually.
>
> > Anyway, unfortunately I have to agree with Platonides et al that we
> > should wait and see exactly what SUL brings. How the watchlist(s) will
> > work has not been made terribly clear, at least in anything I've seen.
>
> Why not inplementing a javascript and/or template solution before waiting
> for another few years?
>
> Regards,
>
> Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
> Implementing watchlists in Javascript? I have implemented a watchlist
> in javascript [1], but the problem is that javascript does not allow
> cross website scripting. So there is no way I can fetch the data from
> an other hostname.

There are actually two solutions to that problem:

1. The Wikimedia wikis have an AJAX framework which IIRC has the
capability to tranparently fetch data off any other Wikimedia wiki, on
the server side. So Javascript thinks it's still dealing with the same
site and the sandbox security model doesn't prevent what you want.

2. Turn the whole thing into a Greasemonkey script (I know, you limit
the browser choices...) and then pull data from wherever you want...

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

White Cat
Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that. Dont forget, we are just another wiki.
   - Cool Cat

Cool Cat wrote:
> Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that. Dont
> forget, we are just another wiki.
>    - Cool Cat

Yes, it can be done on user page... if it is used. Maybe we needed to
add to the registration process a Wizard to populate the userpage with
babel, source project...

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Flominator
"Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote on Monday, February 12, 2007 6:32
PM:

> Cool Cat wrote:
>> Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that. Dont
>> forget, we are just another wiki.
>>    - Cool Cat
>>

> Yes, it can be done on user page... if it is used. Maybe we needed to
> add to the registration process a Wizard to populate the userpage with
> babel, source project...

Thats exactly, what I was talking about. It would not only tell us, where
they would like to be contacted, but also in which language.

Regards,

Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

bawolff
That's what I meant. You have the field, and it automatically (through
js magic?) puts a template on your userspace which the image warning
bots recognize.

-bawolff
On 2/12/07, Cool Cat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that. Dont forget,
> we are just another wiki.
>    - Cool Cat
>

> On 2/10/07, bawolff < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Flo said:
> > >My additional wish would be a way to contact one time contributers. There
> > >are several ways to achieve this:
> > >* Creating a field "home wiki" on the resistration form.
> >
> > How hard could that be? Create a field in the log in page saying ''I
> > ussually contribute to project x'', preferably this could be done
> > semi-automatically via referrer headers or wikipedia linking with a
> > url like
> http://common.wikimedia.org/wiki/special:userlogin?from=en.wikipedia
> > . The thing gets automatically filled out, and the user can change it
> > if he wants. Then when he creates an account, his user page has a
> > template on it automatically that says, "so and so is usually at foo,
> > leave a message both here and there". Then if orphanbot [or whatever
> > you call your bots that send messages] comes a long, sees it, and
> > leaves a message at both commons and the local wiki.
> >
> > --bawolff

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Flominator
"bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:54 AM

> That's what I meant. You have the field, and it automatically (through
> js magic?) puts a template on your userspace which the image warning
> bots recognize.

What about http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Notify_me ?

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

bawolff
Thats exactly what I meant. The only problem is no one knows it exists.

-bawolff

On 2/16/07, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:54 AM
>
> > That's what I meant. You have the field, and it automatically (through
> > js magic?) puts a template on your userspace which the image warning
> > bots recognize.
>
> What about http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Notify_me ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

peter green-2

> Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that.
> Dont forget, we are just another wiki.
and some people do use thier userpage for that, but the vast majority don't.

we need to get the home wiki information at signup time because with drive by users we may not get another chance.

i think we may even need to go as far as making it mandatory to specify username, password and wiki for an account on another wikimedia wiki at signup time. If we don't make it mandatory then the very people we need the info for the most are the type that are least likely to give it to us.

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Flominator
"bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:08
AM:

> On 2/16/07, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:54
>> AM
>>
>> > That's what I meant. You have the field, and it automatically (through
>> > js magic?) puts a template on your userspace which the image warning
>> > bots recognize.
>>
>> What about http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Notify_me ?

> Thats exactly what I meant. The only problem is no one knows it exists.

Maybe that's because I created it about 12 hours ago? ;)

Now we need a "javascript magician" to include in in the registration
process ....

Regards,

Flo

"peter green" <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, February 17, 2007
5:20 AM:

>> Idea is nice, but we could use categories/userpages for that.
>> Dont forget, we are just another wiki.
> and some people do use thier userpage for that, but the vast majority
> don't.
>
> we need to get the home wiki information at signup time because with drive
> by users we may not get another chance.
>
> i think we may even need to go as far as making it mandatory to specify
> username, password and wiki for an account on another wikimedia wiki at
> signup time. If we don't make it mandatory then the very people we need
> the info for the most are the type that are least likely to give it to us.

Just a try, but what do you think about this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Making a home wiki field in user login

Bryan Tong Minh
Looks great!