Making only some of the pages editable by all

Making only some of the pages editable by all

CherianTinu Abraham
Hi,
Apologies if this is a wrong forum to ask this doubt.

We have a private installation of Mediawiki at http://wiki.wikimedia.in
Currently we have enabled all pages editable only by email autoconfirmed
users, due to heavy spam attacks.

While having that as a global setting, can we have some pages editable by
all ( even IP users) via some settings.

A practical use for us would we , all pages under
http://wiki.wikimedia.in/WikiMeetups/

Can anyone help us ?

- Tinu Cherian

Re: Making only some of the pages editable by all

Bryan Tong Minh
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> While having that as a global setting, can we have some pages editable by
> all ( even IP users) via some settings.
>
> A practical use for us would we , all pages under
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/WikiMeetups/

This is possible, but only per namespace with $wgNamespaceProtection
[1]. So, if you move all WikiMeetups pages to the WikiMeetups:
namespace, then it is possible.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespaceProtection

Re: Making only some of the pages editable by all

David Gerard-2
On 18 April 2012 12:42, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is possible, but only per namespace with $wgNamespaceProtection
> [1]. So, if you move all WikiMeetups pages to the WikiMeetups:
> namespace, then it is possible.
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespaceProtection

I understood this sort of ACL restriction didn't work cleanly enough
to be well-supported. Is this a case that actually does work cleanly?

- d.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 April 2012 12:42, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is possible, but only per namespace with $wgNamespaceProtection
>> [1]. So, if you move all WikiMeetups pages to the WikiMeetups:
>> namespace, then it is possible.
>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespaceProtection
>

> I understood this sort of ACL restriction didn't work cleanly enough
> to be well-supported. Is this a case that actually does work cleanly?

As far as I know, the MediaWiki-is-not-a-CMS warnings only apply to
read restrictions.

Bryan

On 18 April 2012 12:53, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 18 April 2012 12:42, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This is possible, but only per namespace with $wgNamespaceProtection
>>> [1]. So, if you move all WikiMeetups pages to the WikiMeetups:
>>> namespace, then it is possible.
>>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespaceProtection

>> I understood this sort of ACL restriction didn't work cleanly enough
>> to be well-supported. Is this a case that actually does work cleanly?

> As far as I know, the MediaWiki-is-not-a-CMS warnings only apply to
> read restrictions.

d'oh! Yes :-)

- d.

Re: Making only some of the pages editable by all

CherianTinu Abraham
I did try to create a new namespace & used $wgNamespaceProtection

$wgNamespaceProtection[NS_WIKIMEETUPS] = array( '*' );

but it is not allowing *anyone* to edit the new namespace, not even the
sysops.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
Tinu Cherian

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Bryan Tong Minh
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > While having that as a global setting, can we have some pages editable by
> > all ( even IP users) via some settings.
> >
> > A practical use for us would we , all pages under
> > http://wiki.wikimedia.in/WikiMeetups/
> >

> This is possible, but only per namespace with $wgNamespaceProtection
> [1]. So, if you move all WikiMeetups pages to the WikiMeetups:
> namespace, then it is possible.
>

> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespaceProtection

Re: Making only some of the pages editable by all

Roan Kattouw-2
On May 15, 2012 9:52 PM, "CherianTinu Abraham" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I did try to create a new namespace & used $wgNamespaceProtection
>
> $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_WIKIMEETUPS] = array( '*' );
>
> but it is not allowing *anyone* to edit the new namespace, not even the
> sysops.

$wgNamespaceProtection works with rights, not groups. So to lock down a
namespace, you'd use something like:

$wgNamespaceProtection[NS_FOO] = 'editfoo';
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['editfoo'] = true;

There's no easy way to open up a namespace to anons this way, other than by
allowing anons to edit and then locking them out of every namespace except
one.

Roan