Manual Of Style

David Gerard-2
Just a quick straw poll:

When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
about something.

Me, I can't remember. I think I *have*, but it would have been years ago.

- d.

Re: Manual Of Style

Andreas Kolbe-2
About four months ago, to check what the current rule was about image
placement at the beginning of a subsection (before or after the header).

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick straw poll:
>
> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
> about something.
>
> Me, I can't remember. I think I *have*, but it would have been years ago.
>

> - d.

Re: Manual Of Style

Fred Bauder-2
> Just a quick straw poll:
>
> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
> about something.
>
> Me, I can't remember. I think I *have*, but it would have been years ago.
>

> - d.

I have no need to. The Manual of Style should reflect best practices. I
would only consult it if it needed correction.

Fred

Re: Manual Of Style

Alan Liefting
I would rarely consult the MOS since it simply documents "common sense"
and common practice (as a rule)

I discovered recently that there is no MOS for category pages so I had a
stab at starting one.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Categories

Alan

On 31/03/2012 7:23 a.m., David Gerard wrote:

> Just a quick straw poll:
>
> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
> about something.
>
> Me, I can't remember. I think I *have*, but it would have been years ago.
>

> - d.
>
> _

Re: Manual Of Style

Steve Bennett-8
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
> about something.

What's wrong with that? That's how most rulebooks work - people
internalise the rules, and only consult the written form when two
people's understanding of the rule differs.

The reverse case would be worse: if you were frequently consulting the
MoS before making changes, it would imply that the rules were
arbitrary, hard to remember, and lacked internal logic and
consistency.

Steve

Re: Manual Of Style

Rich Farmbrough
I probably consult it every couple of weeks.  Usually to check some
change hasn't been sneaked in, or for something that isn't covered.  Or
because someone has told me I'm wrong.

It is a shame that it is such a battleground sometimes.  But it's also a
shame that the basics aren't obvious to more people - i.e. favour
readability over almost everything except accuracy.

On 30/03/2012 19:23, David Gerard wrote:

> Just a quick straw poll:
>
> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
> about something.
>
> Me, I can't remember. I think I *have*, but it would have been years ago.
>

> - d.

Re: Manual Of Style

On 1 April 2012 01:11, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> When was the last time you looked at the Wikipedia Manual of Style for
>> use in your own writing? And not to tell someone else they were wrong
>> about something.

> What's wrong with that? That's how most rulebooks work - people
> internalise the rules, and only consult the written form when two
> people's understanding of the rule differs.

So what's your answer to the question?

- d.

Re: Manual Of Style

Steve Bennett-8
Oops, your question wasn't rhetorical?  :-) I haven't consulted it in
years, but nor have I ever really used it to beat people over the head with.

Steve