Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Joe Matazzoni
As of today, interactive (Kartographer) maps no longer display in the language of the territory mapped; instead, you’ll read them in the content language of the wiki where they appear—or in the language their authors specify (subject to availability of multilingual data). In addition, mapframe, the feature that automatically embeds dynamic maps right on a wiki page, is now live on most Wikipedias that lacked the feature. (Not included in the mapframe launch are nine Wikipedias [1] that use the stricter version of Flagged Revisions).

If you you’re new to mapframe, this Kartographer help page [2] shows how to get started putting dynamic maps on your pages.  If you’d like to read more about map internationalization: this Special Update [3] explains the feature and its limiations; this post [4] and this one [5] describe the uses of the new parameter, lang=”xx”, which  lets you specify a map’s language. And here are some example maps [6] to illustrate the new capabilities.

These features could not have been created without the generous programming contributions and advice of our many map-loving volunteers, including Yurik, Framawiki, Naveenpf, TheDJ, Milu92, Astirlin, Evad37, Pigsonthewing, Mike Peel, Eran Roz,  Gareth and Abbe98. My apologies to anyone I’ve missed.

The Map Improvements 2018 [7] project wraps up at the end of June, so please give internationalized maps and mapframe a try soon and give us your feedback on the project talk page [8]. We’re listening.

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Kartographer
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_18,_2018,_Special_Update_on_Map_Internationalization
[4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
[5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
[6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
[7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
[8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
_____________________

Joe Matazzoni
Product Manager, Collaboration
Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Yuri Astrakhan
Joe, thanks for heeding community's wish to have better maps, and
delivering, all within the short span of ~3.5 months. Very impressive
achievement!  How can the community encourage WMF to do more map work
beyond the June deadline, similar to how foundation continues to work on
improving search, Visual Editor, and other tools?  Thanks!

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 1:33 AM Joe Matazzoni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As of today, interactive (Kartographer) maps no longer display in the
> language of the territory mapped; instead, you’ll read them in the content
> language of the wiki where they appear—or in the language their authors
> specify (subject to availability of multilingual data). In addition,
> mapframe, the feature that automatically embeds dynamic maps right on a
> wiki page, is now live on most Wikipedias that lacked the feature. (Not
> included in the mapframe launch are nine Wikipedias [1] that use the
> stricter version of Flagged Revisions).
>
> If you you’re new to mapframe, this Kartographer help page [2] shows how
> to get started putting dynamic maps on your pages.  If you’d like to read
> more about map internationalization: this Special Update [3] explains the
> feature and its limiations; this post [4] and this one [5] describe the
> uses of the new parameter, lang=”xx”, which  lets you specify a map’s
> language. And here are some example maps [6] to illustrate the new
> capabilities.
>
> These features could not have been created without the generous
> programming contributions and advice of our many map-loving volunteers,
> including Yurik, Framawiki, Naveenpf, TheDJ, Milu92, Astirlin, Evad37,
> Pigsonthewing, Mike Peel, Eran Roz,  Gareth and Abbe98. My apologies to
> anyone I’ve missed.
>
> The Map Improvements 2018 [7] project wraps up at the end of June, so
> please give internationalized maps and mapframe a try soon and give us your
> feedback on the project talk page [8]. We’re listening.
>
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T191583
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Kartographer
> [3]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_18,_2018,_Special_Update_on_Map_Internationalization
> [4]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
> [5]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
> [6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
> [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
> [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
> _____________________
>
> Joe Matazzoni
> Product Manager, Collaboration
> Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
>
> "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

John D.
test

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Eran Rosenthal
 Kudos. Great work!

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:11 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
> > [5]
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%
> E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
> > [6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
> > [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
> > [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
> > _____________________
> >
> > Joe Matazzoni
> > Product Manager, Collaboration
> > Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
> >
> > "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Toby Negrin
Thanks Joe! I'd like to also express my gratitude to the Foundation
developers, Roan, Möriel, Stephane and Elena who were able to pick up this
project on short notice and provide the technical excellence it needed to
be released across the wikis. Thank you!

-Toby

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Joe Matazzoni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As of today, interactive (Kartographer) maps no longer display in the
> language of the territory mapped; instead, you’ll read them in the content
> language of the wiki where they appear—or in the language their authors
> specify (subject to availability of multilingual data). In addition,
> mapframe, the feature that automatically embeds dynamic maps right on a
> wiki page, is now live on most Wikipedias that lacked the feature. (Not
> included in the mapframe launch are nine Wikipedias [1] that use the
> stricter version of Flagged Revisions).
>
> If you you’re new to mapframe, this Kartographer help page [2] shows how
> to get started putting dynamic maps on your pages.  If you’d like to read
> more about map internationalization: this Special Update [3] explains the
> feature and its limiations; this post [4] and this one [5] describe the
> uses of the new parameter, lang=”xx”, which  lets you specify a map’s
> language. And here are some example maps [6] to illustrate the new
> capabilities.
>
> These features could not have been created without the generous
> programming contributions and advice of our many map-loving volunteers,
> including Yurik, Framawiki, Naveenpf, TheDJ, Milu92, Astirlin, Evad37,
> Pigsonthewing, Mike Peel, Eran Roz,  Gareth and Abbe98. My apologies to
> anyone I’ve missed.
>
> The Map Improvements 2018 [7] project wraps up at the end of June, so
> please give internationalized maps and mapframe a try soon and give us your
> feedback on the project talk page [8]. We’re listening.
>
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T191583
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Kartographer
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> April_18,_2018,_Special_Update_on_Map_Internationalization
> [4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%
> E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
> [6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
> [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
> [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
> _____________________
>
> Joe Matazzoni
> Product Manager, Collaboration
> Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
>
> "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Victoria Coleman
+1! As a big fan of maps (like I read them for relaxation :-) I am super stoked to see this project come to fruition! You guys rock!

Best regards,

Victoria Coleman

> [...]
>> [4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
>> April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
>> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
>> April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%
>> E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
>> [6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
>> [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
>> [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
>> _____________________
>>
>> Joe Matazzoni
>> Product Manager, Collaboration
>> Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
>>
>> "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>> sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

Ramsey Isler
Great news! Kudos to all involved for good, quick work.

/Ramsey

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> [4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> >> April_25,_2018,_You_can_now_try_out_internationalization_(on_testwiki)
> >> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018#
> >> April_26,_2018:_OSM_name_data_quirks_and_the_uses_of_lang=%
> >> E2%80%9Clocal%E2%80%9D
> >> [6] https://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_internationalization_examples
> >> [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Map_improvements_2018
> >> [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Map_improvements_2018
> >>
> >> Joe Matazzoni
> >> Product Manager, Collaboration
> >> Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
> >>
> >> "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> >> sum of all knowledge."

Re: Map internationalization launched everywhere, AND embedded maps now live on 276 Wikipedias

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Great, thank you! :)