Map replaces GeoHack on ruwiki

Yuri Astrakhan
Russian Wikipedia just replaced all of their map links in the upper right
corner (geohack) with the <maplink> - Kartographer extension!  Moreover,
when clicking the link, it also shows the location outline, if that object
exists in OpenStreetMap, using corresponding Wikidata ID.  My deepest
respect to my former Interactive Team colleagues and volunteers who have
made it possible!  (This was community wishlist #21)

Example - city of Salzburg (click coordinates in the upper right corner, or
in the infobox):
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%86%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3

Re: Map replaces GeoHack on ruwiki

Tim Landscheidt
Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Russian Wikipedia just replaced all of their map links in the upper right
> corner (geohack) with the <maplink> - Kartographer extension!  Moreover,
> when clicking the link, it also shows the location outline, if that object
> exists in OpenStreetMap, using corresponding Wikidata ID.  My deepest
> respect to my former Interactive Team colleagues and volunteers who have
> made it possible!  (This was community wishlist #21)

> Example - city of Salzburg (click coordinates in the upper right corner, or
> in the infobox):
> https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%86%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3

Very cool, thanks.  As GeoHack still accounts for more than
25 % of Tool Labs's traffic (about 10 requests/s) and is
maintained by three volunteers, I'd encourage other wikis to
follow the example.  (What I especially like about ruwiki's
solution is the superscript "G" link that (for example) di-
rectly opens Google Maps, thus if you are looking for satel-
lite photographs or Street View, you can omit the middleman
GeoHack/Maps.)

Tim