Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Dear all,

I'm happy to announce that Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 have finally been
released.

Some highlights:

* Both extensions are now installed via Composer, in the same fashion as
SMW 1.9. The package names are mediawiki/maps and mediawiki/semantic-maps.

* These releases are compatible with the latest versions of Semantic
MediaWiki and associated extensions.

* The focus of these releases is on stability. Tests have been added for
the core functionality to guard against regressions. In the process many
bugs have been uncovered and fixed. Flaky and broken functionality has been
removed. The most notable removed feature is the OpenLayers form input that
was provided by Semantic Maps.

* Support for the Leaflet service was added by Pavel Astakhov.

* Support for the Geocoder.us geoservice was added by Ike Hecht.

* Experimental support for the "images as layers" functionality, which has
been broken for several releases, has been added by Daniel Werner.

* Both extensions are now hosted on GitHub [0, 1]. Pull requests can be
made against these projects, and issues can be filed via their issue
trackers.

Full release notes can be found at [2, 3].

[0] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps
[1] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps
[2] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps/blob/master/docs/RELEASE-NOTES.md
[3]
https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

Neill Mitchell
Brilliant Jeroen. Great job all!

Thanks
Neill

Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I'm happy to announce that Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 have finally been
>released.
>
>Some highlights:
>
>* Both extensions are now installed via Composer, in the same fashion
>as
>SMW 1.9. The package names are mediawiki/maps and
>mediawiki/semantic-maps.
>
>* These releases are compatible with the latest versions of Semantic
>MediaWiki and associated extensions.
>
>* The focus of these releases is on stability. Tests have been added
>for
>the core functionality to guard against regressions. In the process
>many
>bugs have been uncovered and fixed. Flaky and broken functionality has
>been
>removed. The most notable removed feature is the OpenLayers form input
>that
>was provided by Semantic Maps.
>
>* Support for the Leaflet service was added by Pavel Astakhov.
>
>* Support for the Geocoder.us geoservice was added by Ike Hecht.
>
>* Experimental support for the "images as layers" functionality, which
>has
>been broken for several releases, has been added by Daniel Werner.
>
>* Both extensions are now hosted on GitHub [0, 1]. Pull requests can be
>made against these projects, and issues can be filed via their issue
>trackers.
>
>Full release notes can be found at [2, 3].
>
>[0] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps
>[1] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps
>[2]
>https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps/blob/master/docs/RELEASE-NOTES.md
>[3]
>https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md
>
>Cheers
>
>--
>Jeroen De Dauw
>http://www.bn2vs.com
>Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

thingles
Jeroen,

When trying to `composer update` I’m getting this error and not real sure where to go with it.

Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

  Problem 1
    - mediawiki/semantic-maps dev-master requires mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki 1.9.* -> no matching package found.
    - mediawiki/semantic-maps 3.0 requires mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki 1.9.* -> no matching package found.
    - mediawiki/semantic-maps dev-master requires mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki 1.9.* -> no matching package found.
    - Installation request for mediawiki/semantic-maps @dev -> satisfiable by mediawiki/semantic-maps[3.0, dev-master].

Potential causes:
 - A typo in the package name
 - The package is not available in a stable-enough version according to your minimum-stability setting
   see <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/composer-dev/_g3ASeIFlrc/discussion> for more details.

Read <http://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/troubleshooting.md> for further common problems.

I have Semantic MediaWiki 1.9.x installed so I’m confused by this.

My composer.json is:

{
        "minimum-stability": "dev",
        "require": {
                "php": ">=5.3.2",
                "mediawiki/maps": "@dev",
                "mediawiki/semantic-maps": "@dev",
                "mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki": "dev-master",
                "mediawiki/semantic-result-formats": "@dev",
                "mediawiki/sub-page-list": "@dev",
                "mediawiki/validator": "@dev"
        },
        "suggest": {
                "ext-apc": "*",
                "ext-fileinfo": "*",
                "ext-mbstring": "*",
                "ext-wikidiff2": "*"
        }
}

Others seeing this too?
Jamie Thingelstad
[hidden email]
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

On Jan 18, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 have finally been
> released.
>
> Some highlights:
>
> * Both extensions are now installed via Composer, in the same fashion as
> SMW 1.9. The package names are mediawiki/maps and mediawiki/semantic-maps.
>
> * These releases are compatible with the latest versions of Semantic
> MediaWiki and associated extensions.
>
> * The focus of these releases is on stability. Tests have been added for
> the core functionality to guard against regressions. In the process many
> bugs have been uncovered and fixed. Flaky and broken functionality has been
> removed. The most notable removed feature is the OpenLayers form input that
> was provided by Semantic Maps.
>
> * Support for the Leaflet service was added by Pavel Astakhov.
>
> * Support for the Geocoder.us geoservice was added by Ike Hecht.
>
> * Experimental support for the "images as layers" functionality, which has
> been broken for several releases, has been added by Daniel Werner.
>
> * Both extensions are now hosted on GitHub [0, 1]. Pull requests can be
> made against these projects, and issues can be filed via their issue
> trackers.
>
> Full release notes can be found at [2, 3].
>
> [0] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps
> [1] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps
> [2] https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/Maps/blob/master/docs/RELEASE-NOTES.md
> [3]
> https://github.com/JeroenDeDauw/SemanticMaps/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

kghbln
Heiya,

perhaps it may also have something to do with the order of extensions
specified like it used to be necessary with invoking the extensions in
LocalSettings.php. So autoloading may get mixed up somehow, too.

1 SMW
2 M
3 SM
4 etc.

I do not think you need to include Validator since it is itself a
dependency installed for SMW and/or SubPageList. Still, this are wild
guesses since I did not try. You never know, though.

Cheers

Karsten

Am 18.01.2014 19:09, schrieb Jamie Thingelstad:

> [...]
>> MediaWiki and associated extensions.
>>
>> * The focus of these releases is on stability. Tests have been added for
>> the core functionality to guard against regressions. In the process many
>> bugs have been uncovered and fixed. Flaky and broken functionality has been
>> removed. The most notable removed feature is the OpenLayers form input that
>> was provided by Semantic Maps.
>>
>> * Support for the Leaflet service was added by Pavel Astakhov.
>>
>> * Support for the Geocoder.us geoservice was added by Ike Hecht.
>>
>> * Experimental support for the "images as layers" functionality, which has
>> been broken for several releases, has been added by Daniel Werner.
>>
>> * Both extensions are now hosted on GitHub [0, 1]. Pull requests can be
>> made against these projects, and issues can be filed via their issue
>> trackers.
>>
>> Full release notes can be found at [2, 3].

Tried that for giggles but it had no effect.

I also updated composer for giggles which also had no effect.

What did fix it though was moving

>>  "mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki": "dev-master”,

to just being

>>  "mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki": “@dev”,

Then everything updated just fine.

Can’t say I really know what that did though.

On Jan 18, 2014, at 12:19 PM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> MediaWiki and associated extensions.
>>>
>>> * The focus of these releases is on stability. Tests have been added for
>>> the core functionality to guard against regressions. In the process many
>>> bugs have been uncovered and fixed. Flaky and broken functionality has been
>>> removed. The most notable removed feature is the OpenLayers form input that
>>> was provided by Semantic Maps.
>>>
>>> * Support for the Leaflet service was added by Pavel Astakhov.
>>>
>>> * Support for the Geocoder.us geoservice was added by Ike Hecht.
>>>
>>> * Experimental support for the "images as layers" functionality, which has
>>> been broken for several releases, has been added by Daniel Werner.
>>>
>>> * Both extensions are now hosted on GitHub [0, 1]. Pull requests can be
>>> made against these projects, and issues can be filed via their issue
>>> trackers.
>>>
>>> Full release notes can be found at [2, 3].

Hey,

What did fix it though was moving

> >>  "mediawiki/semantic-media-
> wiki": "dev-master”,
>
> to just being
>
> >>  "mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki": “@dev”,

Yeah, I figured as much. Semantic Maps requires SMW1.9.*. If your setup
requires dev-master, you get a conflict, as dev-master is not in the 1.9.*
range. We might be able to specify master is still in this range - I'll
look into that.

> perhaps it may also have something to do with the order of extensions

Nope. The order you specify things in composer.json does not make any
difference. With this new tooling, you no longer have to care about these
technical details, as indeed users should not.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com
Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

chrisch
I've upgraded from the Release Candidates to the final 3.0 versions and there seems to be some problems now.

I'm using OpenLayer maps and try to include the OpenSeaMap which worked fine in the Release Candidate but not in the final version anymore.

First of all I've now two "Marker" checkboxes in every map like on this example page [1]. The markers hide if both of them are unchecked and show again if only one is checked.

Secondly I want to have the OpenSeaMap overlay (which is transparent) over the OSM-Mapnik base layer. Is there a way to define overlays in the Maps_Settings.php? In the Release Candidate I defined the OpenSeaMap overlay as a layer like Bing and Yahoo and the OpenSeaMap was treated like an overlay. But now in the final versions the OpenSeaMap is shown as a base layer and not as an overlay anymore. So I have only the raw seasigns without any underlying map. So it would be great if there is a way to include the transparent OpenSeaMap overlay and a base layer map.

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_Maps_examples/Mapping_service_%28queries%29

greetings
Chris

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

Eric_
Is there any documentation or any example out there showing how the "images as layers" feature is supposed to work?

Longing for it ever since the old Extension:Semantic_Layers was discontinued.

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

Is there any documentation or any example out there showing how the "images
> as layers" feature is supposed to work?

Afraid not - I'm not sure myself at this point how it works :)

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com
Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Maps and Semantic Maps 3.0 released

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey Chrich,

The only difference between the RC and the release is the "images as
layers" functionality. Since I did not make these changes it is hard for me
to guess where to issue might lie. And it might take some time before this
is fixed. Perhaps you can just run the RC for now? It is just as stable as
the release (or actually more so since it does not have this regression).

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com