Mark your calendars for Wiknic 2015

Pine W
Hi all,

Wiknic is Wikipedia's annual community picnic. For those of us who are in parts of the world where the current season is summer, we usually celebrate Wiknic in June or July. Wiknic started in the United States, and I'm told that the idea has spread to other countries with diverse languages including the Netherlands, Israel, and France. This year's suggested Wiknic dates are Sunday, July 5th or Saturday, July 25th.

So, organize or join a Wiknic in your area!

You might also consider inviting members of other open source, technology enthusiast, and public service communities to join you at Wiknic. We are doing this in Cascadia Wikimedians.

More information about Wiknic is available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic

Photos from a few of last year's Wiknics made it to Commons. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiknic_2014

Have fun,

Pine

Re: Mark your calendars for Wiknic 2015

Bob the Wikipedian

Hey y'all! Been forever since I've been active on a Wikimedia-based site, though I have been active in other free and open knowledge movements. I think it would be neat to try to do joint meetups with editors of other sites. Here are a few that share our common goals, but this certainly is only a small spectrum:

Wikia
iNaturalist
Google Mapmaker
Waze Map Editor
GasBuddy
IMDB

This could be a great way to cross-pollinate ideas and even editors.

Rob

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, 23:27 Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike DuPont
Hi there,
I would like express concern about the goals of wikipedia.

if you look at the blurb at the top of the wikipedia article about
itself : """Wikipedia is a free-access, free-content Internet
encyclopedia, supported and hosted by the non-profit Wikimedia
Foundation."""

Now how many of the sites you mentioned are free-access and
free-content. I think many are not free content.

Google map maker, sharing a common goal seems strange to me, I always
thought that the goal of wikipedia is is create an unburdened source
of knowledge, and google's goal is to sell advertising via restrictive
licensing of all contributions.

Btw, did you forget openstreetmap?

So, I agree we might want to try and advertise to other people
contributing to non free-content websites and try and sell them on the
merits of supporting the freedom of content vs the locking down of
content.

mike

On 6/12/15, Rob Schnautz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey y'all! Been forever since I've been active on a Wikimedia-based site,
> though I have been active in other free and open knowledge movements. I
> think it would be neat to try to do joint meetups with editors of other
> sites. Here are a few that share our common goals, but this certainly is
> only a small spectrum:
>
> Wikia
> iNaturalist
> Google Mapmaker
> Waze Map Editor
> GasBuddy
> IMDB
>
> This could be a great way to cross-pollinate ideas and even editors.
>
> Rob
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, 23:27 Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Wiknic is Wikipedia's annual community picnic. For those of us who are in
>> parts of the world where the current season is summer, we usually
>> celebrate
>> Wiknic in June or July. Wiknic started in the United States, and I'm told
>> that the idea has spread to other countries with diverse languages
>> including the Netherlands, Israel, and France. This year's suggested
>> Wiknic
>> dates are Sunday, July 5th or Saturday, July 25th.
>>
>> So, organize or join a Wiknic in your area!
>>
>> You might also consider inviting members of other open source, technology
>> enthusiast, and public service communities to join you at Wiknic. We are
>> doing this in Cascadia Wikimedians.
>>
>> More information about Wiknic is available at
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>
>> Photos from a few of last year's Wiknics made it to Commons. See
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiknic_2014
>>
>> Have fun,
>>
>> Pine

James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
http://openkansas.us
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: Mark your calendars for Wiknic 2015

Bob the Wikipedian

I am not saying Google shares this goal, but that contributors to its maps share our goal. People adding road names and speed limits are working toward free and open knowledge just as we do. And like I said, the list is by no means comprehensive. I only listed a few I contribute to myself.

Rob

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015, 07:54 Mike Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> including the Netherlands, Israel, and France. This year's suggested
>> Wiknic
>> dates are Sunday, July 5th or Saturday, July 25th.
>>
>> So, organize or join a Wiknic in your area!
>>
>> You might also consider inviting members of other open source, technology
>> enthusiast, and public service communities to join you at Wiknic. We are
>> doing this in Cascadia Wikimedians.
>>
>> More information about Wiknic is available at
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>
>> Photos from a few of last year's Wiknics made it to Commons. See
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiknic_2014
>>
>> Have fun,
>>
>> Pine

James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas

Pharos-3
I agree that we should welcome a broad range of collaborative communities to the local Wiknics, especially other free/open projects like OpenStreetMap.

Start a Wiknic for your city, in your local park!

Thanks,
Pharos