Mass deletion/change of articles

James Mohr-3
Hi All!

I stepped in it big time and I need to fix some things. I have 250+ HTML
pages, that I parsed and converted into an XML which I loaded successfully
into MW 1.6.6. The pages are OK for the most part, but it is the part that is
not okay that is the problem.

When creating the page text within the XML file I added categories based on
the directory where the HTML file was. However, I had a typo that I did not
notice until all of the pages were loaded. The result is that none of the
categories are recognized as such. Not a happy thing.

One solution is to delete all of the pages and redo the import after
correcting my script. However, I cannot find a way to delete loads of pages
at once. Actually it would be OK to simply delete all of the pages in the
Main namespace.

Another alternative would be to download the appropriate table, run sed or
perl on it to make the change, then re-load the table. Can anyone tell me
which table I need to dump?

If there was a way using a MySQL query to correct the mistake that would be
the simplest, but I couldn't find anything to tell me how to simply replace
text within a query (i.e. update).

Any help would be greatly appreacited.

regards,

jimmo

Re: Mass deletion/change of articles

James Mohr-3
On Monday 12 June 2006 18:42, Elliott Franklin Cable wrote:
> There is a pywikipediabot that may be able to help also.

Wow! It looks like Replace.py is exact what I am looking for. Thanks!

Regards,

jimmo