MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Mark A. Hershberger-2
I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.

Please download the release candidate and test it.  If you find any bugs
please report them on Bugzilla[1] and make sure I am added as a CC so
that we can fix any show-stoppers before the final release.

Finally, if you could also look over
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21, I'll be using an edited
version of that to make the final announcement.  If you spot problems or
areas that could use clarification, your help in improving it would be
appreciated.

[1]
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git

Full release notes:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.21

Download:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz

Patch to previous version (1.20.0), without interface text:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
Interface text changes:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz

GPG signatures:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz.sig
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig

Public keys:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/keys.html

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 03/31/2013 10:58 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> Should I install git ?

No, this is a complete, downloadable version.

> Should I install PHP ?

Yes, MediaWiki requires at least version 5.3.2 of PHP.

> Should I install MathJax ?
> Should I install C++?
> Suould I install Latex?

None of these is needed.

> What versions of the software above are required for and compatible with
> your version of wiki?

Note that this is a release candidate for MediaWiki 1.21.0 -- it is not
"my" version of the software as I've done nothing special with this.  I
am the release manager for MediaWiki and this is a release candidate for
a normal release.

This may not be absolutely clear since I used my own server for the
release instead of download.wikimedia.org.  I had the release ready and
didn't want to wait for someone to upload it to download.wm.o, so I put
it on my own server.  The next release candidate will be on download.wm.o.

> Does your version of wiki support pictures in PDF and/or EPS format?

MediaWiki supports uploading PDF and EPS files with the right
configuration.  I haven't tried uploading EPS files, but providing
thumbnails of these and the PDFs should work.

--
http://hexmode.com/

[We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
   compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
        -- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Brian Wolff

> > Does your version of wiki support pictures in PDF and/or EPS format?
>
> MediaWiki supports uploading PDF and EPS files with the right
> configuration.  I haven't tried uploading EPS files, but providing
> thumbnails of these and the PDFs should work.

Im doubtful thumbnails of eps would just work. Pdf thumbs need an extension
(pdfhandler) in order to thumbnail correctly. Uploading of both these
formats should be fine on vanilla mediawiki with a small config change to
add them to the allowed file types list.

-bawolff

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Quim Gil-2
On 03/31/2013 04:49 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
> 1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.

With a bit of planning we could have synced your call for testing with
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Weekly_goals

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21 already shows the areas
requiring more testing. Having step-by-step instructions to get a
testable install e.g. in Labs would be the other piece of information
useful for a QA Weekly goal page.

Do we still have time to do something orchestrated? When are you
planning to release, more or less?

> Please download the release candidate and test it.  If you find any bugs
> please report them on Bugzilla[1] and make sure I am added as a CC so
> that we can fix any show-stoppers before the final release.
>
> Finally, if you could also look over
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21, I'll be using an edited
> version of that to make the final announcement.  If you spot problems or
> areas that could use clarification, your help in improving it would be
> appreciated.
>
> [1]
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git
>
> Full release notes:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.21

> Download:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz
>
> Patch to previous version (1.20.0), without interface text:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
> Interface text changes:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
>
> GPG signatures:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz.sig
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
>
> Public keys:
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/keys.html

Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

On 04/01/2013 11:38 AM, Quim Gil wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 04:49 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
>> 1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.
>
> With a bit of planning we could have synced your call for testing with
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Weekly_goals

Well, I did say I was going to do the RC this weekend early last week.
If I had thought of this, I would have coordinated with you.  I'll try
to do that for 1.22 in a few months.

> Do we still have time to do something orchestrated? When are you
> planning to release, more or less?

Since making the announcement, I've merged a small Installer patch from
Chad, so there is definitely going to be another RC.

There *will* be a release by May 15th.  Probably before then.

There are a couple of items on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21 that still need to be
reviewed and merged before they are included.  It would be nice to have
those in the release.

So, yes, there is still plenty of time.

On 04/01/2013 10:52 AM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> With a bit of planning we could have synced your call for testing with
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Weekly_goals
>
> Well, I did say I was going to do the RC this weekend early last week.
> If I had thought of this, I would have coordinated with you.  I'll try
> to do that for 1.22 in a few months.

Last week was crazy, sorry. Also we aim to plan these testing weeks with
a bit more time in advance in order to have better promotion and prepare
better documentation for new testers. That is the theory. In practice we
are still improvising a lot with shorter timeframes.

> So, yes, there is still plenty of time.

Does it still make sense to have the testing week on April 15-21?

If you think so, could we define a narrower focused? Testing the new
release is a good scope, but anything specifically that you feel like
deserving testing focus?

Thank you.

OQ

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
> 1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.
>
> Please download the release candidate and test it.  If you find any bugs
> please report them on Bugzilla[1] and make sure I am added as a CC so
> that we can fix any show-stoppers before the final release.
>
> Finally, if you could also look over
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21, I'll be using an edited
> version of that to make the final announcement.  If you spot problems or
> areas that could use clarification, your help in improving it would be
> appreciated.
>
> [1]
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git
>
> Full release notes:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.21

Is the large read-only textbox on the final install screen normal or not?

http://i.imgur.com/QP7cLna.png

On 04/02/2013 12:27 PM, OQ wrote:
> Is the large read-only textbox on the final install screen normal or not?

"Normal" in that I saw it as well during my quick sanity check of the
tarball, but I think it deserves a bug.  Please file one:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git

Thanks for testing!

--
http://hexmode.com/

[We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
   compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
        -- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Slightly related here, https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/57067/
should be included in 1.21.

On 04/02/2013 05:30 PM, Brad Jorsch wrote:
> Slightly related here, https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/57067/
> should be included in 1.21.

Very related.  Thanks for pointing this out.
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/57198/

If anyone else is aware of similar bug fixes that should go into 1.21,
please either notify me or submit them to REL1_21

On 04/05/2013 03:01 PM, Isabel Gancedo wrote:
> Everything seems to be working fine; jobs run a maximum warp and the queue
> is becoming tiny.

Excellent.  I see this line in the "New features" list from the Release
notes:

   The Job system was refactored to allow for different backing stores
   for queues as well as cross-wiki access to queues, among other
   things.  The schema for the DB queue was changed to support better
   concurrency and reduce deadlock errors.

Perhaps that deserves more attention?

> There is just one issue that I would like to mention: in my database
> (MySQL) pre-upgrade jobs have job_random set to 0 and do not seem to be
> picked up -not even when I use the option --type=replaceText.
>
> I can repeat the replace text operations, so this is not big problem for
> me. However, if this is the normal behaviour for an upgrade, maybe it
> should be mentioned in the notes somewhere.

This may be a bug that was introduced during the refactoring.  Could you
file one?

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git

Thank you for your helpful comments!

--
http://hexmode.com/

It is not the case that simple clear questions have simple clear
    answers, not even in the world of pure ideas, and much less so in
    the messy real world of everyday life.
        -- Gregory Chaitin, “Paradoxes of Randomness”

On 04/01/2013 04:30 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> Does it still make sense to have the testing week on April 15-21?

Yes, Let us do it then.  I'm about to release RC2, but it doesn't
include a fix for at least one problem that was discovered in RC1.  I'll
release RC3 next week -- hopefully with the jobqueue fix
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/46934 -- and we can use that as a basis
for testing.

> If you think so, could we define a narrower focused? Testing the new
> release is a good scope, but anything specifically that you feel like
> deserving testing focus?

I'll look over the release notes and come up with a plan for testing
RC3.  Is there a particular place on-wiki you would like to have this plan?