MediaWiki 1.6.0 update

Rob Church
Some users are reporting difficulties in the upgrade process for 1.5 to 1.6.

1. The documentation doesn't explain how; it references upgrading *to*
1.5, but not from it. I'll be updating this as soon as I get round to
it. For now, http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Upgrading_to_1.6 is
the URL I've been pointing people at; I had this prepared the night
before release, in anticipation to cries for documentation.

2. Some users are reporting issues when running the update.php script
from within the maintenance dir. This is a bug, which I'm about to
commit the fix for. As a workaround, run it from the wiki root, i.e.
do "php maintenance/update.php".

Rob Church

Re: MediaWiki 1.6.0 update

Brion Vibber
Rob Church wrote:
> Some users are reporting difficulties in the upgrade process for 1.5 to 1.6.
>
> 1. The documentation doesn't explain how; it references upgrading *to*
> 1.5, but not from it.

The documentation in UPGRADE is for *every* version. 1.6 is no different from
1.5 here.

If this is too horribly confusing, change "1.5" to "1.6" somewhere in the file.

> 2. Some users are reporting issues when running the update.php script
> from within the maintenance dir. This is a bug, which I'm about to
> commit the fix for. As a workaround, run it from the wiki root, i.e.
> do "php maintenance/update.php".

Whee!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: MediaWiki 1.6.0 update

Rob Church
> Rob Church wrote:
> > Some users are reporting difficulties in the upgrade process for 1.5 to 1.6.
> >
> > 1. The documentation doesn't explain how; it references upgrading *to*
> > 1.5, but not from it.
>
> The documentation in UPGRADE is for *every* version. 1.6 is no different from
> 1.5 here.

I think it's the explicit references to 1.5.

Rob Church