MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Brena Monteiro
Hello everyone,

I'm selected to participate of OPW and I will work at MediaWiki Homepage
Redesign project in which Quim and Heather are my mentors.

My first activity is identify the main problems at current homepage. I'm
watching the page: "Requests for comment/MediaWiki.org Main Page tweaks"
[1] and I would like to emphasise that all collaboration is welcome.

Here you can see my proposal for this project [2].

Best regards,

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/MediaWiki.org_Main_Page_tweaks

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW

Brena Monteiro
+55 31 9265-2020
@monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Quim Gil-2
Hi Brena!

We have already discussed in person (remotely) but here goes a public
reply as well.

On 12/02/2013 11:47 AM, Brena Monteiro wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm selected to participate of OPW and I will work at MediaWiki Homepage
> Redesign project in which Quim and Heather are my mentors.

Yes!

To anybody interested: the goal is to have a proposal to replace the
current mediawiki.org homepage by March 10 (end of Brena's OPW
internship). Ideally this proposal will consist on a wiki page that can
just be copied and pasted.

The steps to get there are described at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW#Deliverables

Your feedback is welcome. We also want to identify reviewers willing to
pay special attention to this project, contributing feedback and helping
to reach decisions. If you are interested, please step in.

> My first activity is identify the main problems at current homepage. I'm
> watching the page: "Requests for comment/MediaWiki.org Main Page tweaks"
> [1] and I would like to emphasise that all collaboration is welcome.

After a chat yesterday between Brena, Heather and myself, we agreed that
the next step is to agree on a design document.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Project_Design_Review_Process#Design_Document

We need to deal with one wiki page only (an important wiki page, but not
as complex as the user interface of a full application), but still this
document will be important to define what we want to do, and why.

Then mockups. Then wiki implementation. Trying to sign off each phase
reaching community consensus.


For those willing to get involved now, at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User_talk:Monteirobrena/OPW#Design_document

I just created topics to discuss the renaming of
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW and set up its
right scope...

... and also the actions to close officially
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/MediaWiki.org_Main_Page_tweaks
after integrating the relevant details to the design document.

Most of the communication will happen around those wiki pages. Brena
will use this list for announcements and wider requests for feedback.
You can also find us on #mediawiki IRC.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Brena Monteiro
In reply to this post by Brena Monteiro
Like Quim said, right now we are preparing the Design Document[1] and all
collaboration is welcome.

Best regards,

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW/Design_Document

Brena Monteiro
+55 27 98109 0123
@monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>


On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM,
<[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l-request@...>
> wrote:

> Send Wikitech-l mailing list submissions to
>         [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l-request@...>
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l-owner@...>
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Wikitech-l digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Wikimedia Commons Video Uploads waiting (Bug  #58155)
>       (Manuel Schneider)
>    2. Re: Request for comments: Localisation format changes
>       (Arthur Richards)
>    3. Re: FWD: [Bug 58236] New: No longer allow gadgets to be
>       turned on by default for all users on Wikimedia sites (Quim Gil)
>    4. Re: FWD: [Bug 58236] New: No longer allow gadgets to be
>       turned on by default for all users on Wikimedia sites
>       (Amir E. Aharoni)
>    5. Bug Fixing: #21481 (Amanpreet Singh)
>    6. Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign (Quim Gil)
>    7. Re: OAuth currently broken on wikis with CirrusSearch
>       (Nikolas Everett)
>    8. Announcement: Kunal Mehta joins Wikimedia as Features
>       Contractor (Terry Chay)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:02:12 +0100
> From: Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=manuel.schneider@...>
> >
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> >
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikimedia Commons Video Uploads waiting (Bug
>         #58155)
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=52A9FA24.1080508@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Thanks a lot to Hashar and those who helped!
>
> I am very happy, I just added the videos to the program page of the
> conference and will send a mail to our community in a minute. They will
> be very happy as well!
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiCon_2013/Programm
>
> Regards,
>
>
> /Manuel
>
> Am 12.12.2013 18:36, schrieb Antoine Musso:
> > All files have been uploaded now!  Please contact me if there is any
> > issue :-)
> >
> > Thanks to Ariel Glenn and Nemo bis for the useful commands.
> --
> Manuel Schneider - Chief Information Officer
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 340 66 22 - www.wikimedia.ch
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:04:56 -0700
> From: Arthur Richards <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=arichards@...>
> >
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> >
> Cc: MediaWiki internationalisation
>         <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=mediawiki-i18n@...>
> >
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Request for comments: Localisation format
>         changes
> Message-ID:
>         <
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=CAG5YvhKbtUGgBBDvx4jabczh6x_GPY0AB9oPxvahe5PKHpprMg@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Cool!
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=smazeland@...>>
> wrote:
>
> > We have also proposed to discuss this RfC in the upcoming RfC review
> > meeting of 2013-12-18[1]. As far as we know, no time has been set for
> this
> > meeting, yet.
> >
>
> The WMF Engineering calendar shows the RfC review meeting at 2-3pm PST on
> 2013-12-18.
>
> --
> Arthur Richards
> Software Engineer, Mobile
> [[User:Awjrichards]]
> IRC: awjr
> +1-415-839-6885 x6687
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:38:41 -0800
> From: Quim Gil <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=qgil@...>
> >
> To: [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] FWD: [Bug 58236] New: No longer allow
>         gadgets to be turned on by default for all users on Wikimedia sites
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=52AA02B1.8080103@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> On 12/11/2013 11:21 AM, Chad wrote:
> > Sending wiki edits to Gerrit for review? Absolutely not.
> >
> > I'm totally cool with the idea of code review for Gadgets & so forth,
> just
> > not
> > using Gerrit. We considered it for Scribunto (and heck, I wrote half of a
> > proof
> > of concept) but shot it down because the idea totally sucked.
>
> I think I agree with your conclusion, but based on my assumptions. It
> would be useful to know why you think it sucked.
>
> Alright, not on Gerrit. Where?
>
> Even if projects enjoy their freedom to use and modify their gadgets, I
> don't think anybody particularly enjoys having to copy (and eventually
> localize) gadgets found in other projects. Definitely nobody enjoys
> having to fix or re-sync those gadgets years later, when something
> breaks and editors complain in the local village pump.
>
> The idea of global invocation and a central repository is being
> considered for templates [1]. Couldn't this be also an approach for
> gadgets? Still developed directly on top of MediaWiki, with or without
> mechanisms like flaggedrevs, but at least better coordinated and watched
> in a reference site. Then projects would be free to rely on those
> "upstream" gadgets directly, or to create their own forks, that could be
> still documented as such and be hosted in the central repository.
>
> Many times the copy of gadgets across projects involves localization of
> strings that are hardcoded, an extra obstacle for anybody willing to
> re-sync gadgets. Separation of code and strings for proper localization
> would be an addition that all non-English projects would welcome as
> well, allowing automatic resync of the code without translation blockers.
>
> In theory, mediawiki.org could be not only the central repository for
> extensions, but also for templates, gadgets, and bots. With a central
> catalog of software, quality assurance and user feedback could be better
> articulated. Wikimedia projects would benefit just as much as any
> MediaWiki instance out there, without stealing any freedom from them.
>
>
> [1] Bug 39610 - Scribunto should support global module invocations (
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39610
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:46:18 +0200
> From: "Amir E. Aharoni" <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=amir.aharoni@...>
> >
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> >
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] FWD: [Bug 58236] New: No longer allow
>         gadgets to be turned on by default for all users on Wikimedia sites
> Message-ID:
>         <CACtNa8t_K=_ZHzsU+gnakXAvsM59LvuiCiPRs=
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=ebssQ0m8zORA@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> 2013/12/12 Quim Gil <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=qgil@...>
> >
>
> > On 12/11/2013 11:21 AM, Chad wrote:
> > > Sending wiki edits to Gerrit for review? Absolutely not.
> > >
> > > I'm totally cool with the idea of code review for Gadgets & so forth,
> > just
> > > not
> > > using Gerrit. We considered it for Scribunto (and heck, I wrote half
> of a
> > > proof
> > > of concept) but shot it down because the idea totally sucked.
> >
> > I think I agree with your conclusion, but based on my assumptions. It
> > would be useful to know why you think it sucked.
> >
> > Alright, not on Gerrit. Where?
> >
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gadgets_2.0 ?
>
> --
> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:40:24 +0530
> From: Amanpreet Singh <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=amanpreet.iitr2013@...>
> >
> To: [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] Bug Fixing: #21481
> Message-ID:
>         <CAG1s+wpA6mhJn7DkhrG31h-5Y=mLdRjhNHC=
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=Esn%2BUjXyityq2g@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi, I am new to wikimedia,
>
> I want to start bug fixing for wikimedia so I have started from this
> annoying little bug
>
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21481
>
> Can somebody guide me from where to start and search for fixing this bug,
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:57:36 -0800
> From: Quim Gil <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=qgil@...>
> >
> To: [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>,
> Heather Walls
>         <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=hwalls@...>
> >
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki Homepage Redesign
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=52AA1530.1000106@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Hi Brena!
>
> We have already discussed in person (remotely) but here goes a public
> reply as well.
>
> On 12/02/2013 11:47 AM, Brena Monteiro wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm selected to participate of OPW and I will work at MediaWiki Homepage
> > Redesign project in which Quim and Heather are my mentors.
>
> Yes!
>
> To anybody interested: the goal is to have a proposal to replace the
> current mediawiki.org homepage by March 10 (end of Brena's OPW
> internship). Ideally this proposal will consist on a wiki page that can
> just be copied and pasted.
>
> The steps to get there are described at
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW#Deliverables
>
> Your feedback is welcome. We also want to identify reviewers willing to
> pay special attention to this project, contributing feedback and helping
> to reach decisions. If you are interested, please step in.
>
> > My first activity is identify the main problems at current homepage. I'm
> > watching the page: "Requests for comment/MediaWiki.org Main Page tweaks"
> > [1] and I would like to emphasise that all collaboration is welcome.
>
> After a chat yesterday between Brena, Heather and myself, we agreed that
> the next step is to agree on a design document.
>
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Project_Design_Review_Process#Design_Document
>
> We need to deal with one wiki page only (an important wiki page, but not
> as complex as the user interface of a full application), but still this
> document will be important to define what we want to do, and why.
>
> Then mockups. Then wiki implementation. Trying to sign off each phase
> reaching community consensus.
>
>
> For those willing to get involved now, at
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User_talk:Monteirobrena/OPW#Design_document
>
> I just created topics to discuss the renaming of
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW and set up its
> right scope...
>
> ... and also the actions to close officially
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/MediaWiki.org_Main_Page_tweaks
> after integrating the relevant details to the design document.
>
> Most of the communication will happen around those wiki pages. Brena
> will use this list for announcements and wider requests for feedback.
> You can also find us on #mediawiki IRC.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:08:40 -0500
> From: Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=neverett@...>
> >
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>
> >
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] OAuth currently broken on wikis with
>         CirrusSearch
> Message-ID:
>         <
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=CAP%2BxBbXMANmT0FqfjAaSLkLZbUknLoEiqfOzFgUcHb0HZp7EqA@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=neverett@...>
> >wrote:
>
> > Note that the wikis that say they were deployed on December 11th but do
> > not have a strike through them have Cirrus running, but their indexes are
> > still being built.  I believe OAuth will be broken on those wikis as
> well.
> >
> > This requires two fixes to actually fix, both of which are in review
> state
> > pending approval, another test on beta, and eventual deployment.  We
> should
> > have them out sometime in the next few hours.
> >
>
> I've just verified the fix in production.  Please let me know if any of you
> are still seeing the error.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nik
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:08:18 -0800
> From: Terry Chay <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=tchay@...>
> >
> To: "(All) WMF Staff" <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wmfall@...>>,
>     Wikimedia
>         developers <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wikitech-l@...>>,
>    wmfsf
>         <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wmfsf@...>
> >
> Cc: [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=kmehta@...>
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] Announcement: Kunal Mehta joins Wikimedia as
>         Features        Contractor
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=1E5E35BD-496E-4E92-80E2-9DE23111CA99@...>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=utf-8
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Kunal Mehta[1] has
> joined the Wikimedia Foundation as contractor in Features Engineering.
>
> Before joining us (and currently), Kunal is a student in college,
> switching from computer science to business administration for reasons that
> I’m sure warrant more discussion.
>
> Kunal is currently a Wikipedia admin got involved working on the projects
> 8 years ago. He also helps writing and maintaining bots (legoktm <3’s
> pywikibot) and working on the nether regions of the volunteer developer
> community as part of the Volunteer Response Team, which he currently
> continues to do[2]. I met him at Wikimania through a Wikidata scholarship
> because apparently we were too cheap to spring for his ticket.
>
> Kunal will be working with the Core Features Team since MassMessage[3] and
> Echo[4] have overlapping concerns, and Flow[5] can use more development
> support now that it is out. When he isn’t doing that you’ll see him around
> adding this and that to core or the bots. :-)
>
> Kunal lives and goes to school in San Jose. Most importantly, he’s
> unlocked level 2 in Naan Sense on FourSquare[6]. From his username on the
> projects, I’d also bet he must like Lego Mindstorms[7].
>
> For the record, Kunal, I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
>
> As you have guessed from my usual tardiness and my drive to finish my
> announcements before the calendar year, his first official day was actually
> October 28th (Only two months ago? Not bad, not bad at all).
>
> Please join me in a belated welcome of Kunal Mehta to the Wikimedia
> Foundation.
>
> Take care,
> Terry
>
> [1]: [[User:legoktm]]
> [2]: https://github.com/legoktm
> [3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassMessage
> [4]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo_(Notifications)
> [5]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow_Portal
>
> [6]: https://foursquare.com/legoktm/badge/51296de6e4b096ae4b48fb8e?ref=tw
> [7]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms_NXT
>
> terry chay  최태리
> Director of Features Engineering
> Wikimedia Foundation
> “Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”
>
> p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
> m: +1 (408) 480-8902
> e: [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=tchay@...>
> i: http://terrychay.com/
> w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
> aim: terrychay
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=Wikitech-l@...>
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
>
> End of Wikitech-l Digest, Vol 125, Issue 43
> *******************************************
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Isarra Yos
On 16/12/13 12:14, Brena Monteiro wrote:

> Like Quim said, right now we are preparing the Design Document[1] and all
> collaboration is welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW/Design_Document
>
> Brena Monteiro
> +55 27 98109 0123
> @monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
> Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
>

I apologise if I'm being daft here, but why exactly is a design document
needed for this (or for)? It is good that you're working on it, of
course, but I'm also a bit confused.

-I

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Brandon Harris-4
A) it's a good exercise to learn with;
B) it's good practice to make them for all projects, regardless of size, I only to help solidify one's thinking.  

We should do LESS designing in code, not more.

Snt frm my iPhne

> On Dec 16, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/13 12:14, Brena Monteiro wrote:
>> Like Quim said, right now we are preparing the Design Document[1] and all
>> collaboration is welcome.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW/Design_Document
>>
>> Brena Monteiro
>> +55 27 98109 0123
>> @monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
>> Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
>
> I apologise if I'm being daft here, but why exactly is a design document needed for this (or for)? It is good that you're working on it, of course, but I'm also a bit confused.
>
> -I
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Chad
In reply to this post by Isarra Yos
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/12/13 12:14, Brena Monteiro wrote:
>
>> Like Quim said, right now we are preparing the Design Document[1] and all
>> collaboration is welcome.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW/Design_Document
>>
>> Brena Monteiro
>> +55 27 98109 0123
>> @monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
>> Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
>>
>>
> I apologise if I'm being daft here, but why exactly is a design document
> needed for this (or for)? It is good that you're working on it, of course,
> but I'm also a bit confused.


I'm not sure either. I'd rather just see bold edits to the homepage
that make it look nicer.

This is a content thing, not a software design thing imho.

If interested users can't edit the homepage on mw.org, we can
fix that easily too.

-Chad
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Isarra Yos
In reply to this post by Brandon Harris-4
But what makes it good? What does 'solidify thinking' mean?

-I

On 16/12/13 18:54, Brandon Harris wrote:

> A) it's a good exercise to learn with;
> B) it's good practice to make them for all projects, regardless of size, I only to help solidify one's thinking.
>
> We should do LESS designing in code, not more.
>
> Snt frm my iPhne
>
>> On Dec 16, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 16/12/13 12:14, Brena Monteiro wrote:
>>> Like Quim said, right now we are preparing the Design Document[1] and all
>>> collaboration is welcome.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/OPW/Design_Document
>>>
>>> Brena Monteiro
>>> +55 27 98109 0123
>>> @monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
>>> Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
>> I apologise if I'm being daft here, but why exactly is a design document needed for this (or for)? It is good that you're working on it, of course, but I'm also a bit confused.
>>
>> -I
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikitech-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Brena Monteiro
In reply to this post by Brena Monteiro
Yes! That's the idea. Identify what content is fundamental to put on the
homepage. Some people agreed that the contents of the homepage needs to be
directed to new users. And I wonder:

Which content will do new users love MediaWiki? Or what will arouse
interest in using and contribute immediately?

Regards,

Brena Monteiro
+55 27 98109 0123
@monteirobrena <http://twitter.com/monteirobrena>
Reflexões Brenianas <http://monteirobrena.wordpress.com>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Quim Gil-2
In reply to this post by Chad
On 12/16/2013 10:59 AM, Chad wrote:
> I'm not sure either. I'd rather just see bold edits to the homepage
> that make it look nicer.
>
> This is a content thing, not a software design thing imho.
>
> If interested users can't edit the homepage on mw.org, we can
> fix that easily too.

"make it look nicer", heh. :)  The mediawiki.org homepage needs more
than that.

When you want to improve something complex, it is good to know what you
want to improve, why, and how. Brena is working on the answers to these
basic questions in order to propose a plan. Bold edits might lead you to
a good solution by chance, but the chances of failing, delaying, and
wasting energy unnecessarily are high.

From a technical point of view, bold edits are not that simple in a
homepage that is pulling 35 templates, 21 of them exclusive to
Main_page. Any significant change probably involves editing/creating
wikitext, graphics, HTML, and CSS sitting in different places. I'm not a
designer, but as a content editor I would also welcome a plan agreed
before jumping there.

From a social point of view, bold edits to the homepage of a popular
community site are only productive when you know where you are heading,
the community is aware as well, and there is consensus. The chances of
someone asking 'Why are you doing this?' before reverting are just too
high, unless you limit yourself to polish non-challenging details.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MediaWiki Homepage Redesign

Antoine Musso-3
In reply to this post by Brena Monteiro
Le 16/12/13 21:53, Brena Monteiro a écrit :
> Yes! That's the idea. Identify what content is fundamental to put on the
> homepage. Some people agreed that the contents of the homepage needs to be
> directed to new users. And I wonder:
>
> Which content will do new users love MediaWiki? Or what will arouse
> interest in using and contribute immediately?

Hello,

Whenever I hunt for a new software I expect the following on the main page:

 - software prerequisites (in our case PHP / Mysql)
 - screenshots
 - a list of the most important features
 - a download link
 - dates of last releases
 - step-by-step tutorial to install

Additional useful links:
 - bug utility
 - support forum / mailing list / IRC channel
 - online demo

cheers,

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l