MediaWiki as a media repository

Jason Young-2
One of our MediaWiki installs is for faculty to collaboratively build
content, tagged with additional dublin-core (or whatever that IEEE
metadata standard is, I forget which) metadata, gone through a bit of
peer analysis and review, and be exported out to a more "public" web
site.

One of the things that those that are shepherding this use have been
needing is to do media uploads (as opposed to just images) - so that
they can collaboratively view/evaluate the media for future export.
Mainly flash files and mpeg4 movies.   Some of which could be
50-100MB, maybe even more.  The total number of these flash/movie
files will probably stay under a few hundred for the next year, year
and a half.

Because MediaWiki comes "out of the box" supporting only image
extensions, and because the default upload file size on most PHP
installations is so low, I've avoided letting them use Mediawiki for
this.   I did open up the extensions, but never really let files >
4MB be uploaded.    In earlier 1.5.x MediaWiki releases, the Gallery
of New Files would often blow up, as MediaWiki ran out of memory (I
assume) trying render thumbnails for the PDF, flash, (and powerpoint
sadly, but that's another story) files.     That has abated, due to
increases in PHP memory available to that mediawiki site, and maybe
even fixed by later 1.5.x releases, I haven't gone through all the
change notes.

But, despite that, I need to do something quick, and we'ved managed
to get older faculty, some of who can be pretty obstinate about
learning new technologies, working in a wiki.   They are beginning to
understand the wiki way (even if they insist on subverting it a bit
with this validation/peer review process before things are deemed
"public"), use the history, use metadata, etc.   I like the idea of
opening up the limits a bit on the mediawiki install so they can
upload their multi-tens-of-megabytes media, because we have the
history, categories, other metadata right there in a somewhat familar
interface.

All this is a rambly introduction to a question of:

Are others using MediaWiki as a media repository of sorts?  What
kinds of things do I need to watch out for?  What are some of the
best practices/settings/etc. for this?    Thoughts from my fellow MW
admins

Thanks,
Jason

Re: MediaWiki as a media repository

Morten Blaabjerg
This is a VERY relevant question - I am also very interested to hear other
experiences in using MediaWiki as a media repository.

Our wiki is an information system, as it is now, on cultural people and
projects - one of my primary ambitions is to combine the knowledge base with
a filesharing system in the not-so-far-away future. My idea is to combine
MediaWiki with a Bittorrent tracker, so that users can upload and share
torrents - keeping large video files etc. on their own computers. I would
still like the wiki to contain images, documents, zips and other small
files.

Does this idea sound feasible? Anyone who has similar plans or experiences
to share?
More specifically, what is the best way to go around customizing the
Image-namespace - or alternatively, how to make such files go into the
Media- or a new customized File-namespace?

Best wishes,
Morten :-)

--
Crews Cut Production
Morten Blaabjerg

> One of our MediaWiki installs is for faculty to collaboratively build
> content, tagged with additional dublin-core (or whatever that IEEE
> metadata standard is, I forget which) metadata, gone through a bit of
> peer analysis and review, and be exported out to a more "public" web
> site.
>
> One of the things that those that are shepherding this use have been
> needing is to do media uploads (as opposed to just images) - so that
> they can collaboratively view/evaluate the media for future export.
> Mainly flash files and mpeg4 movies.   Some of which could be
> 50-100MB, maybe even more.  The total number of these flash/movie
> files will probably stay under a few hundred for the next year, year
> and a half.
>
> Because MediaWiki comes "out of the box" supporting only image
> extensions, and because the default upload file size on most PHP
> installations is so low, I've avoided letting them use Mediawiki for
> this.   I did open up the extensions, but never really let files >
> 4MB be uploaded.    In earlier 1.5.x MediaWiki releases, the Gallery
> of New Files would often blow up, as MediaWiki ran out of memory (I
> assume) trying render thumbnails for the PDF, flash, (and powerpoint
> sadly, but that's another story) files.     That has abated, due to
> increases in PHP memory available to that mediawiki site, and maybe
> even fixed by later 1.5.x releases, I haven't gone through all the
> change notes.
>
> But, despite that, I need to do something quick, and we'ved managed
> to get older faculty, some of who can be pretty obstinate about
> learning new technologies, working in a wiki.   They are beginning to
> understand the wiki way (even if they insist on subverting it a bit
> with this validation/peer review process before things are deemed
> "public"), use the history, use metadata, etc.   I like the idea of
> opening up the limits a bit on the mediawiki install so they can
> upload their multi-tens-of-megabytes media, because we have the
> history, categories, other metadata right there in a somewhat familar
> interface.
>
> All this is a rambly introduction to a question of:
>
> Are others using MediaWiki as a media repository of sorts?  What
> kinds of things do I need to watch out for?  What are some of the
> best practices/settings/etc. for this?    Thoughts from my fellow MW
> admins
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Re: MediaWiki as a media repository

Jan Steinman
Unless collaboration is the major line item for this project, I'd use
a networked asset management system, rather than MediaWiki.

It sounds from your description like you could get some budget to do
it right. Look at Canto Cumulus or Extensis Portfolio. The server
edition of either one is designed for what you need, rather than
trying to cobble what you need onto the back of a collaborative
authoring system, simply because it allows users to upload images
over a web browser.

::::A revolution is interesting insofar as it avoids like the plague
the plague it promised to heal. -- Daniel Berrigan
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org>