[MediaWiki-l] A couple of basic question about users

[MediaWiki-l] A couple of basic question about users

Patricia Barden-2
Hello:

I've looked around for the answers to these questions but have not found any solutions or suggestions.

1) When looking at Special Page > User list, I noticed that some users have a "created on" date beside their user name like:

Some User (Created on 22 March 2007 at 14:02)

And some do not have anything beside their user name.

What causes this to happen?

2) Is there a way to tell if a user who has an account has "never" logged in?

Thanks so much for your help with these basic questions.

Patricia Barden

Re: A couple of basic question about users

Brion Vibber
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Patricia Barden <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I've looked around for the answers to these questions but have not found
> any solutions or suggestions.
>
> 1) When looking at Special Page > User list, I noticed that some users
> have a "created on" date beside their user name like:
>
> Some User (Created on 22 March 2007 at 14:02)
>
> And some do not have anything beside their user name.
>
> What causes this to happen?

If you go back far enough you may find user accounts created under versions
of MediaWiki that didn't record the account creation date; this is probably
what you're seeing.

> 2) Is there a way to tell if a user who has an account has "never" logged
> in?

Hmmmm, not sure if there's a reliable one. You can check if user_touched
has been updated BUT this gets updated for things like people leaving
messages on their talk page.

-- brion

Re: A couple of basic question about users

Benjamin Lees
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you go back far enough you may find user accounts created under versions
> of MediaWiki that didn't record the account creation date; this is probably
> what you're seeing.

There has to be more to it than that.  The creation date for User:Brion
VIBBER, for instance, is displayed, even though the date for accounts
created much later isn't.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm, not sure if there's a reliable one. You can check if user_touched
> has been updated BUT this gets updated for things like people leaving
> messages on their talk page.

It gets reset for a user if other people edit that user's talk page?  That
kind of seems like a bug. :-)

Re: A couple of basic question about users

Jeremy Baron
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hmmmm, not sure if there's a reliable one. You can check if user_touched
>> has been updated BUT this gets updated for things like people leaving
>> messages on their talk page.
>>
> It gets reset for a user if other people edit that user's talk page?  That
> kind of seems like a bug. :-)

Probably (one of?) the reason(s) is so that pages will get the orange
"new message" notif box even if they're revisiting a page they already
saw recently which is in their browser's cache.

-Jeremy

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If you go back far enough you may find user accounts created under
> versions
> > of MediaWiki that didn't record the account creation date; this is
> probably
> > what you're seeing.
>
> There has to be more to it than that.  The creation date for User:Brion
> VIBBER, for instance, is displayed, even though the date for accounts
> created much later isn't.

Some, but not all, accounts had creation dates retroactively filled in.

> Hmmmm, not sure if there's a reliable one. You can check if user_touched
> > has been updated BUT this gets updated for things like people leaving
> > messages on their talk page.
> >
> It gets reset for a user if other people edit that user's talk page?  That
> kind of seems like a bug. :-)

No, it's quite deliberate -- that's how their cached pages get cleared to
make room for the "You've got messages" indicator.

-- brion