[MediaWiki-l] About $wgEmailAuthentication set to false

[MediaWiki-l] About $wgEmailAuthentication set to false

kghbln
Heiya,

I think that the docu to $wgEmailAuthentication was wrong so I changed
it [0]. I have a wiki which was switched to  "false" as a setting and I
still get notifications since the respective user preference options for
email notifications are selected on special page "Preferences". I want
to make sure that the docu is correct.

Moreover all the related configuration parameters like e.g.
$wgEnotifUserTalk state that they are being ignored if the setting to
$wgEmailAuthentication is "false". I guess these need to be changed too?

Alternatively it may be the case that the selection of a user via
special page Preferences for the respective preference options override
whatever one set via the respective configuration parameters. This would
have to be noted too.

I would like to sort this out properly. Thanks for your insights.

Cheers,

Karsten

PS I believe that it makes sense to send notifications to emails if
provided even if they were not authenticated in a second step. Probably
you would not like to have this on a public wiki with high activity but
this is another story.

[0]
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual%3A%24wgEmailAuthentication&type=revision&diff=2811920&oldid=2148792

Re: About $wgEmailAuthentication set to false

kghbln
Nobody with a clue, no?

Cheers Karsten

Am 21.06.2018 um 11:06 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya,
>
> I think that the docu to $wgEmailAuthentication was wrong so I changed
> it [0]. I have a wiki which was switched to  "false" as a setting and I
> still get notifications since the respective user preference options for
> email notifications are selected on special page "Preferences". I want
> to make sure that the docu is correct.
>
> Moreover all the related configuration parameters like e.g.
> $wgEnotifUserTalk state that they are being ignored if the setting to
> $wgEmailAuthentication is "false". I guess these need to be changed too?
>
> Alternatively it may be the case that the selection of a user via
> special page Preferences for the respective preference options override
> whatever one set via the respective configuration parameters. This would
> have to be noted too.
>
> I would like to sort this out properly. Thanks for your insights.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Karsten
>
> PS I believe that it makes sense to send notifications to emails if
> provided even if they were not authenticated in a second step. Probably
> you would not like to have this on a public wiki with high activity but
> this is another story.
>
> [0]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual%3A%24wgEmailAuthentication&type=revision&diff=2811920&oldid=2148792

Re: About $wgEmailAuthentication set to false

Kunal Mehta

On 06/21/2018 02:06 AM, [[kgh]] wrote:
> I think that the docu to $wgEmailAuthentication was wrong so I changed
> it [0]. I have a wiki which was switched to  "false" as a setting and I
> still get notifications since the respective user preference options for
> email notifications are selected on special page "Preferences". I want
> to make sure that the docu is correct.

AFAICT your edit is correct.

> Moreover all the related configuration parameters like e.g.
> $wgEnotifUserTalk state that they are being ignored if the setting to
> $wgEmailAuthentication is "false". I guess these need to be changed too?

They're ignored if *$wgEnableEmail* is false.

-- Legoktm