[MediaWiki-l] About $wgEnableDnsBlacklist set to true

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] About $wgEnableDnsBlacklist set to true

kghbln
Heiya,

I configured a wiki to use`$wgEnableDnsBlacklist = true;` (also added
"$wgDnsBlacklistUrls"). So far so good.

Now I have the situation that a user (with sysop permission) cannot log
into the wiki because the respective IP-address was blocked. Is there a
permission or setting, etc. that will allow me to get the user on board
again without having to disable DNS blacklist checks? It is not the
"ipblock-exempt" or "proxyunbannable" permissions with the latter not
available any more anyways.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers Karsten
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About $wgEnableDnsBlacklist set to true

Kunal Mehta
Hi,

On 07/10/2018 03:27 PM, [[kgh]] wrote:

> Heiya,
>
> I configured a wiki to use`$wgEnableDnsBlacklist = true;` (also added
> "$wgDnsBlacklistUrls"). So far so good.
>
> Now I have the situation that a user (with sysop permission) cannot log
> into the wiki because the respective IP-address was blocked. Is there a
> permission or setting, etc. that will allow me to get the user on board
> again without having to disable DNS blacklist checks? It is not the
> "ipblock-exempt" or "proxyunbannable" permissions with the latter not
> available any more anyways.
From my reading of the code in 1.31, it's only supposed to apply to
anonymous users - is it only happening on log in?

As a workaround, you can add the IP address to $wgProxyWhitelist.

-- Legoktm


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About $wgEnableDnsBlacklist set to true

kghbln
Heiya Legoktm,

thanks a lot for you info and the pointer to the relevant configuration
parameter. Today I have updated the documentation of all four related
parameters and referenced each other for others to find the relevant
info faster in the future and without the need to ask here.

> From my reading of the code in 1.31, it's only supposed to apply to anonymous users - is it only happening on log in?


I have been told that it was happening on login thus preventing login.
In other words: it prevents an anonymous user from logging in and become
a logged in user. I personally would expect that the software looks at
the user name checks if this one is allowed to edit judging by the user
rights assigned to the user account and lets the ananymous user log into
that user account if it is ok.

Perhaps something that broke starting 1.27? Anyways will this be worth
creating a task? I guess so.

Cheers Karsten


Am 11.07.2018 um 20:38 schrieb Kunal Mehta:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/10/2018 03:27 PM, [[kgh]] wrote:
>> Heiya,
>>
>> I configured a wiki to use`$wgEnableDnsBlacklist = true;` (also added
>> "$wgDnsBlacklistUrls"). So far so good.
>>
>> Now I have the situation that a user (with sysop permission) cannot log
>> into the wiki because the respective IP-address was blocked. Is there a
>> permission or setting, etc. that will allow me to get the user on board
>> again without having to disable DNS blacklist checks? It is not the
>> "ipblock-exempt" or "proxyunbannable" permissions with the latter not
>> available any more anyways.
> From my reading of the code in 1.31, it's only supposed to apply to
> anonymous users - is it only happening on log in?
>
> As a workaround, you can add the IP address to $wgProxyWhitelist.
>
> -- Legoktm
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment