[MediaWiki-l] Add site-wide footer to all pages

[MediaWiki-l] Add site-wide footer to all pages

Dan Fisher
I tried a footer extension to add a Wiki-editable footer on all pages of a
site but it adds it before the categories.
Does anyone know of an extension which adds a footer in the same area, as
the Copyright/about stuff?

Re: Add site-wide footer to all pages

Quim Gil-2
On 12/11/2013 07:00 PM, Dan Fisher wrote:
> I tried a footer extension to add a Wiki-editable footer on all pages of a
> site but it adds it before the categories.
> Does anyone know of an extension which adds a footer in the same area, as
> the Copyright/about stuff?

Just checking whether you are aware of all the editable elements a
MediaWiki footer offers out of the box:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Footer

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Add site-wide footer to all pages

Forest S
In a program as sophisticated as Mediawiki, it seems like there are two
ways to do something like this. One is elegant but requires a deep
knowledge of the APIs, etc. of Mediawiki and the other is more quick and
dirty. I am a huge fan of the quick and dirty way for people who are
confident in their technical skills but who don't have the time to learn
about the innards of Mediawiki. (Especially given the sparse documentation.)

In this case, quick and dirty means editing the PHP file that runs the
Vector skin to insert raw HTML where you want it to go. You have to know
PHP to do this, but the footer area is clearly marked by HTML comments in
Vector. I'll be happy to provide more hints on how to do this if you are
interested (I can't hold you hand through everything, of course). You
shouldn't do it unless you are prepared to break some things and then fix
them again.

In addition to other precautions, such as testing all edits on a separate
installation of your site, you may wish to clone the Vector skin so that
you have an untouched version of Vector that people can switch back to. See
the following thread in this mailing list for details:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki/414377
I hope to revive the above thread by going ahead in the coming weeks after
I have a chance to install a PHP debugger and work on another couple
projects

Forest

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Dan Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried a footer extension to add a Wiki-editable footer on all pages of a
> site but it adds it before the categories.
> Does anyone know of an extension which adds a footer in the same area, as
> the Copyright/about stuff?

Re: Add site-wide footer to all pages

go moko
> In a program as sophisticated as Mediawiki, it seems like there are two
> ways to do something like this. One is elegant but requires a deep
> knowledge of the APIs, etc. of Mediawiki and the other is more quick and
> dirty. I am a huge fan of the quick and dirty way for people who are
> confident in their technical skills but who don't have the time to learn
> about the innards of Mediawiki. (Especially given the sparse documentation.)
>
> In this case, quick and dirty means editing the PHP file that runs the
> Vector skin to insert raw HTML where you want it to go. You have to know
> PHP to do this, but the footer area is clearly marked by HTML comments in
> Vector. I'll be happy to provide more hints on how to do this if you are
> interested (I can't hold you hand through everything, of course). You
> shouldn't do it unless you are prepared to break some things and then fix
> them again.
>
> In addition to other precautions, such as testing all edits on a separate
> installation of your site, you may wish to clone the Vector skin so that
> you have an untouched version of Vector that people can switch back to. See
> the following thread in this mailing list for details:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki/414377
> I hope to revive the above thread by going ahead in the coming weeks after
> I have a chance to install a PHP debugger and work on another couple
> projects
>
> Forest
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Dan Fisher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>  I tried a footer extension to add a Wiki-editable footer on all pages of a
>>  site but it adds it before the categories.
>>  Does anyone know of an extension which adds a footer in the same area, as
>>  the Copyright/about stuff?

You can also do it with javascript, without modifying Vector skin and without deep knowledge of Mediawiki.

Re: Add site-wide footer to all pages

WJhonson

I believe you can accomplish this without a knowledge of PHP or JavaScript either.
But rather only by modifying your local settings copy and inserting a raw HTML string....