[MediaWiki-l] Advice needed for BPM flowchart support for MediaWiki

[MediaWiki-l] Advice needed for BPM flowchart support for MediaWiki

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

I am thinking seriously about creating, or at least helping to oversee the
creation of, a MediaWiki extension that lets users create flowcharts for
use in BPM (business process management, or business process modeling). The
extension would most likely be a wrapper around bpmn-js, an open source
JavaScript library that does this sort of thing pretty nicely:

http://bpmn.io/toolkit/bpmn-js/

There already is a MediaWiki extension that includes bpmn-js - Cognitive
Process Designer:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cognitive_Process_Designer

However, my understanding is that it no longer works with recent versions
of MediaWiki. Also, I disagree with some of the design decisions made on
that extension, so I think creating a new extension makes sense.

I'm not actually looking for funding or development help at the moment -
though both of those would be great to have - but rather some advice. I'm
looking for people who have dealt with BPM, and would like to be able to
edit and display such charts, and BPM information in general, in a wiki. If
this description fits you, please email me back - I have a bunch of
questions and ideas I want to bounce off other people.

-Yaron

Re: Advice needed for BPM flowchart support for MediaWiki

Krabina Bernhard
Hi Yaron,

I haven't really dealt with it, but Alexander Gesinn has I guess.

BTW, are your aware of https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/Mermaid

Cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 2. Mai 2019 um 20:47 schrieb Yaron Koren [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking seriously about creating, or at least helping to oversee the
> creation of, a MediaWiki extension that lets users create flowcharts for
> use in BPM (business process management, or business process modeling). The
> extension would most likely be a wrapper around bpmn-js, an open source
> JavaScript library that does this sort of thing pretty nicely:
>
> http://bpmn.io/toolkit/bpmn-js/
>
> There already is a MediaWiki extension that includes bpmn-js - Cognitive
> Process Designer:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cognitive_Process_Designer
>
> However, my understanding is that it no longer works with recent versions
> of MediaWiki. Also, I disagree with some of the design decisions made on
> that extension, so I think creating a new extension makes sense.
>
> I'm not actually looking for funding or development help at the moment -
> though both of those would be great to have - but rather some advice. I'm
> looking for people who have dealt with BPM, and would like to be able to
> edit and display such charts, and BPM information in general, in a wiki. If
> this description fits you, please email me back - I have a bunch of
> questions and ideas I want to bounce off other people.
>
> -Yaron

Re: Advice needed for BPM flowchart support for MediaWiki

Yaron Koren-2
I know about the Mermaid language (and, to a lesser extent, about the
"Mermaid" extension) - one of my questions, actually, is how Mermaid and
BPMN relate to one another: are they competitors? Or do they do different
things? I haven't been able to find any information about this online.

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:18 PM Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Yaron,
>
> I haven't really dealt with it, but Alexander Gesinn has I guess.
>
> BTW, are your aware of https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/Mermaid
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
> ----- Am 2. Mai 2019 um 20:47 schrieb Yaron Koren [hidden email]:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am thinking seriously about creating, or at least helping to oversee
> the
> > creation of, a MediaWiki extension that lets users create flowcharts for
> > use in BPM (business process management, or business process modeling).
> The
> > extension would most likely be a wrapper around bpmn-js, an open source
> > JavaScript library that does this sort of thing pretty nicely:
> >
> > http://bpmn.io/toolkit/bpmn-js/
> >
> > There already is a MediaWiki extension that includes bpmn-js - Cognitive
> > Process Designer:
> >
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cognitive_Process_Designer
> >
> > However, my understanding is that it no longer works with recent versions
> > of MediaWiki. Also, I disagree with some of the design decisions made on
> > that extension, so I think creating a new extension makes sense.
> >
> > I'm not actually looking for funding or development help at the moment -
> > though both of those would be great to have - but rather some advice. I'm
> > looking for people who have dealt with BPM, and would like to be able to
> > edit and display such charts, and BPM information in general, in a wiki.
> If
> > this description fits you, please email me back - I have a bunch of
> > questions and ideas I want to bounce off other people.
> >
> > -Yaron
> >
> > --
> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Advice needed for BPM flowchart support for MediaWiki

rkevans
Hi Yaron,

I'm extremely interested in such as project. How do we follow your progress?

/Rich

I am thinking seriously about creating, or at least helping to oversee the creation of, a MediaWiki extension that lets users create flowcharts for use in BPM (business process management, or business process modeling). The extension would most likely be a wrapper around bpmn-js, an open source JavaScript library that does this sort of thing pretty nicely:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bpmn.io_toolkit_bpmn-2Djs_&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=WAI6nmn2GhU9wywDH3L0FOtJxJKn2Zm1TACRKI7MwwM&s=mlcdf0Ew3qkAQ7ngnABvqlXcSNVsBvmNKMHBRZgN2AU&e=

There already is a MediaWiki extension that includes bpmn-js - Cognitive Process Designer:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mediawiki.org_wiki_Extension-3ACognitive-5FProcess-5FDesigner&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=WAI6nmn2GhU9wywDH3L0FOtJxJKn2Zm1TACRKI7MwwM&s=KNGsKQvrH9TvELG0yQNRaIzbbvKcAD48n3ICMEeWYIs&e=

WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wikiworks.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=9NM-9omoRra7fL56CWslBkAVE25KY5Ff9rp6kNpFDRw&m=WAI6nmn2GhU9wywDH3L0FOtJxJKn2Zm1TACRKI7MwwM&s=QDa2PBsuNU8BYmJz-7e-D8CkJQ19X-4IIuQfLXSLzi4&e=