[MediaWiki-l] BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

[MediaWiki-l] BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

David Gerard-2
So we got Redditdotted yesterday.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/1bcqpn/scientific_evidence_of_evolution_being_a_hoax/

This is our traffic:

http://rationalwiki.org/w/images/5/53/Rw_traffic_20130331.png

And the wiki kept right on ticking.

- d.

Re: BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

Al Johnson
Good job on your preparedness.  So, what's your cache setup?

________________________________

On 3 April 2013 20:05, Al Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  From: David Gerard <[hidden email]>

>> So we got Redditdotted yesterday.
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/1bcqpn/scientific_evidence_of_evolution_being_a_hoax/>
>> This is our traffic:
>> http://rationalwiki.org/w/images/5/53/Rw_traffic_20130331.png
>> And the wiki kept right on ticking.

> Good job on your preparedness.  So, what's your cache setup?

One 4GB Linode with Apache/MySQL/Lucene, two 1GB Linodes with Squid
and a load-balancer in front of the lot. Pretty simple. I'd personally
have gone with Varnish, but Squid is fine too. The boxes are Ubuntu
12.04 servers, just using the distro version of squid3.

MediaWiki plays nice with Squid out of the box:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Squid_caching

- d.

OQ

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> MediaWiki plays nice with Squid out of the box:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Squid_caching

Does it not require the source patches anymore? Or is that just if you
want the X-Vary enhancements?

On 3 April 2013 20:24, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> MediaWiki plays nice with Squid out of the box:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Squid_caching

> Does it not require the source patches anymore? Or is that just if you
> want the X-Vary enhancements?

Well, we didn't do that. I don't *think* we did, anyway.

- d.

Re: BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

Daniel Friesen-2
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 12:24:55 -0700, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> MediaWiki plays nice with Squid out of the box:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Squid_caching
>
> Does it not require the source patches anymore? Or is that just if you
> want the X-Vary enhancements?

Patches are for X-Vary-Options support.

OQ

Re: BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

OQ
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Daniel Friesen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Patches are for X-Vary-Options support.

Which I thought was generally required to get a decent cache hit %. Or
is that really a WMF specific issue?

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:02:45 -0700, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Daniel Friesen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Patches are for X-Vary-Options support.
>
> Which I thought was generally required to get a decent cache hit %. Or
> is that really a WMF specific issue?

It's primarily for supporting things like non-session cookies without
extra configuration.
Most configs can get away with just not caching when cookies are involved
or hardcoding the list of cookies to vary on.

Re: BTW, this is why you put a cache in front of MediaWiki

Al Johnson
Cool.  I'll probably give something like that a try, which will be my first.  I'm on AWS.  How do you like Linode?

al