[MediaWiki-l] Best way or tips for multi wikis ?

[MediaWiki-l] Best way or tips for multi wikis ?

lmarcini
Hello,

I installed Mediawiki 1.25.5 from sources on a Linux server (Ubuntu
14.04 LTS).No problems anywhere and no warning. I also activated HTTPS
login and OpenLDAP authentication. All is OK. But I'm a noob with
mediawiki and I just started to learn it.

Now, I try to configure mediawiki to do "farming": several wikis on the
same mediawiki installation (same core and differents parameters).

Here are some informations :
- I'm root on my server.
- The installation directory is /home/web/www/mediawiki
- The real root of the web server is /home/web/www/

So I want to use several wikis accessibles with the following urls :
- mediawiki main : http://sites.foo.bar/mediawiki
- mediawiki monkey : http://sites.foo.bar/monkey
- mediawiki donkey : http://sites.foo.bar/donkey
- mediawiki trump : http://sites.foo.bar/trump

I don't know if the better way is to use plugins (I tried SimpleFarm but
I didn't understand all the documentation because it was not enough
"step by step" for me) or to do everything manually (with symlinks?
Another method? How?)

I thank you for your help.

Laurent.

Re: Best way or tips for multi wikis ?

Nate McElroy
I'm currently running 4 wikis from the same core code on Mediawiki 1.26.0
on Ubuntu 14.04.

The mediawiki code is in /var/lib/mediawiki and includes everything except
for /images folder and LocalSettings.php   It is from this directory that I
set up all the wikis (via mw-config page).

All of the wikis have their own folder in /etc/mediawiki (e.g.,
/etc/mediawiki/chemwiki). In each of those folders, all wiki files/folders
are linked to those in /var/lib/mediawiki EXCEPT for /images and
LocalSettings.php (I also have separate logo.png file here, too).

Finally, in my /var/www/html, I have each wiki's folder (e.g.,
/var/www/html/chemwiki) linked to its /etc/mediawiki/ folder

I don't know if this is the best way to go about the process, but it works
well for me.
Pro: If you want to install a new extension, it only needs to be placed in
/var/lib/mediawiki/extensions
Con: Anytime you want to update an individual wiki, you need to move its
LocalSettings.php file to /var/lib/mediawiki in order to run
/var/lib/mediawiki/maintenance/update.php

Hope that's somewhat helpful ...

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:23 AM, lmarcini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed Mediawiki 1.25.5 from sources on a Linux server (Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS).No problems anywhere and no warning. I also activated HTTPS
> login and OpenLDAP authentication. All is OK. But I'm a noob with
> mediawiki and I just started to learn it.
>
> Now, I try to configure mediawiki to do "farming": several wikis on the
> same mediawiki installation (same core and differents parameters).
>
> Here are some informations :
> - I'm root on my server.
> - The installation directory is /home/web/www/mediawiki
> - The real root of the web server is /home/web/www/
>
> So I want to use several wikis accessibles with the following urls :
> - mediawiki main : http://sites.foo.bar/mediawiki
> - mediawiki monkey : http://sites.foo.bar/monkey
> - mediawiki donkey : http://sites.foo.bar/donkey
> - mediawiki trump : http://sites.foo.bar/trump
>
> I don't know if the better way is to use plugins (I tried SimpleFarm but
> I didn't understand all the documentation because it was not enough
> "step by step" for me) or to do everything manually (with symlinks?
> Another method? How?)
>
> I thank you for your help.
>
> Laurent.

Re: Best way or tips for multi wikis ?

Jan Steinman-2
> I'm currently running 4 wikis from the same core code on Mediawiki 1.26.0
> on Ubuntu 14.04...
>
> All of the wikis have their own folder... all wiki files/folders
> are linked to those in /var/lib/mediawiki EXCEPT for /images and
> LocalSettings.php (I also have separate logo.png file here, too).

Do you have a handy script for achieving that? Or do you have some other technique (find?) for doing that?

Jan

Re: Best way or tips for multi wikis ?

Yishen Miao
This should help.

First create the directory, then run this one-liner to generate the symlinks, and move in the files using only by that wiki.

find /var/lib/mediawiki -maxdepth 1 -exec ln -s {} /where/you/put/your/wiki/ \;

Best,
Mys_721tx