[MediaWiki-l] Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

[MediaWiki-l] Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Jean Valjean
I want to develop a browser extension to save the text of all submitted
revisions to the local machine.

So for example, suppose you are editing a wiki and you click "save". Your
browser would then save a copy of that revision on your hard drive. Then
you would have all those submissions saved as backups, which could be
helpful if your article were to be deleted or if the wiki were to go down.

There's a problem on the Internet in general, which is that when sites go
down, the content is often irretrievably lost because no one archived it.
This could be a way to help fight against that, by making it easier for
authors to keep copies at least of their own work (which is probably some
of the content they care most about and would be most interested in
salvaging and reposting elsewhere).

I'm thinking this should probably be a Firefox and/or Brave extension,
since those browsers seem the most compatible with MediaWiki. Any
suggestions on what's the best way to go about this? Do you know of any
other browser extensions/plugins I might be able to cannibalize or use as
inspiration for this? Thanks.

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Martin Urbanec
Mediawiki archives all revisions even they are deleted by a sysop. There is
no way to delete revs permanently by default (without an extra extension)
and there is no need for it too.

Sysops can view all deleted revisions. But when problem with wiki's HDD is
still a problem.

Then backup, backup, backup is a solution.

Yeah, this is from the administrator's point of view, not the user's one.
But I can't see any reason why such extension would be useful still.

As a sysop of cs.wiki I personally have no problem with sending the content
or restoring it when there is some reason for it. Yeah, you may say not
everybody know that the content could be restored technically. But those
who know they may use such extension would know the content can be restored
too.

So instead of thinking about the extension itself I would rather talk about
the need for it.

Best,
Martin

Dne po 1. kvě 2017 23:01 uživatel Jean Valjean <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> I want to develop a browser extension to save the text of all submitted
> revisions to the local machine.
>
> So for example, suppose you are editing a wiki and you click "save". Your
> browser would then save a copy of that revision on your hard drive. Then
> you would have all those submissions saved as backups, which could be
> helpful if your article were to be deleted or if the wiki were to go down.
>
> There's a problem on the Internet in general, which is that when sites go
> down, the content is often irretrievably lost because no one archived it.
> This could be a way to help fight against that, by making it easier for
> authors to keep copies at least of their own work (which is probably some
> of the content they care most about and would be most interested in
> salvaging and reposting elsewhere).
>
> I'm thinking this should probably be a Firefox and/or Brave extension,
> since those browsers seem the most compatible with MediaWiki. Any
> suggestions on what's the best way to go about this? Do you know of any
> other browser extensions/plugins I might be able to cannibalize or use as
> inspiration for this? Thanks.

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Jean Valjean
It depends on the wiki. Suppose, for instance, you're a RationalWiki user
editing Conservapedia, and then the Conservapedia sysops decide, "Hey wait,
this user is a troll, so let's block him and delete all this work." If he
asks for copies of his articles, they might say, "We don't want to help you
spread that nonsense any further."

There also have been wikis whose databases got corrupted, and then they
found out that their backups weren't usable either.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Mediawiki archives all revisions even they are deleted by a sysop. There is
> no way to delete revs permanently by default (without an extra extension)
> and there is no need for it too.
>
> Sysops can view all deleted revisions. But when problem with wiki's HDD is
> still a problem.
>
> Then backup, backup, backup is a solution.
>
> Yeah, this is from the administrator's point of view, not the user's one.
> But I can't see any reason why such extension would be useful still.
>
> As a sysop of cs.wiki I personally have no problem with sending the content
> or restoring it when there is some reason for it. Yeah, you may say not
> everybody know that the content could be restored technically. But those
> who know they may use such extension would know the content can be restored
> too.
>
> So instead of thinking about the extension itself I would rather talk about
> the need for it.
>
> Best,
> Martin

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Greg Rundlett (freephile)
To preserve, backup, archive or otherwise find out about existing resources
which would help with those activities, check out http://www.archiveteam.org
and http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=WikiTeam

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com
https://freephile.org

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Martin Urbanec
Yeah, you're right. I know about that wikis but...I guess it would be
easier to recover corrupted backups/database than catch all computers from
all users that made at least one edit which is needed to recover the
original state.

Maybe something like http://deletionpedia.org/en/Main_Page would be useful
to examine (yeah, it can catch only deletion that were proposed at
Wikipedia of course).

Martin

út 2. 5. 2017 v 19:14 odesílatel Jean Valjean <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> It depends on the wiki. Suppose, for instance, you're a RationalWiki user
> editing Conservapedia, and then the Conservapedia sysops decide, "Hey wait,
> this user is a troll, so let's block him and delete all this work." If he
> asks for copies of his articles, they might say, "We don't want to help you
> spread that nonsense any further."
>
> There also have been wikis whose databases got corrupted, and then they
> found out that their backups weren't usable either.
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM, Martin Urbanec <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Mediawiki archives all revisions even they are deleted by a sysop. There
> is
> > no way to delete revs permanently by default (without an extra extension)
> > and there is no need for it too.
> >
> > Sysops can view all deleted revisions. But when problem with wiki's HDD
> is
> > still a problem.
> >
> > Then backup, backup, backup is a solution.
> >
> > Yeah, this is from the administrator's point of view, not the user's one.
> > But I can't see any reason why such extension would be useful still.
> >
> > As a sysop of cs.wiki I personally have no problem with sending the
> content
> > or restoring it when there is some reason for it. Yeah, you may say not
> > everybody know that the content could be restored technically. But those
> > who know they may use such extension would know the content can be
> restored
> > too.
> >
> > So instead of thinking about the extension itself I would rather talk
> about
> > the need for it.
> >
> > Best,
> > Martin

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

George Henne
unsubscribe

George Henne
NS BASIC Corporation
http://www.nsbasic.com

>Yeah, you're right. I know about that wikis but...I guess it would be
>easier to recover corrupted backups/database than catch all computers from
>all users that made at least one edit which is needed to recover the
>original state.
>
>Maybe something like http://deletionpedia.org/en/Main_Page would be useful
>to examine (yeah, it can catch only deletion that were proposed at
>Wikipedia of course).
>
>Martin
>
>út 2. 5. 2017 v 19:14 odesílatel Jean Valjean <[hidden email]>
>napsal:
>
>> It depends on the wiki. Suppose, for instance, you're a RationalWiki user
>> editing Conservapedia, and then the Conservapedia sysops decide, "Hey wait,
>> this user is a troll, so let's block him and delete all this work." If he
>> asks for copies of his articles, they might say, "We don't want to help you
>> spread that nonsense any further."
>>
>> There also have been wikis whose databases got corrupted, and then they
>> found out that their backups weren't usable either.
>>
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM, Martin Urbanec <
>> [hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Mediawiki archives all revisions even they are deleted by a sysop. There
>> is
>> > no way to delete revs permanently by default (without an extra extension)
>> > and there is no need for it too.
>> >
>> > Sysops can view all deleted revisions. But when problem with wiki's HDD
>> is
>> > still a problem.
>> >
>> > Then backup, backup, backup is a solution.
>> >
>> > Yeah, this is from the administrator's point of view, not the user's one.
>> > But I can't see any reason why such extension would be useful still.
>> >
>> > As a sysop of cs.wiki I personally have no problem with sending the
>> content
>> > or restoring it when there is some reason for it. Yeah, you may say not
>> > everybody know that the content could be restored technically. But those
>> > who know they may use such extension would know the content can be
>> restored
>> > too.
>> >
>> > So instead of thinking about the extension itself I would rather talk
>> about
>> > the need for it.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Martin

Re: Browser extension to save the text of all submitted revisions to the local machine

Jean Valjean
I think there are still some deleted pages that fall through the cracks of
Deletionpedia, Speedy Deletion Wiki, etc.

I know there have been many times I've wanted this functionality, but on
the other hand, I've also had local hard drives crash, so I would've lost
all those revisions anyway in the end unless I backed up my backups. I got
complacent, though, and figured that a desktop machine's hard drive would
be unlikely to crash, because it's not exposed to all the shocks that a
laptop hard drive is exposed to.