[MediaWiki-l] Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

[MediaWiki-l] Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

Andrew Jablonski
Hi folks,

I wrote a message on Friday about some linking/path issues I was having to
get the wiki to load properly. I fixed the problem by making $wgScriptPath
= ""

This worked immediately and I was able to edit/fix up the site. As of this
morning, the website will not load with "server not found" errors. I also
enabled caching and changed registration permissions. I'm wondering if this
is due to some change I may have made, or if it is a problem with my ISP.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Re: Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

Dave Humphrey
Depending on the exact error there could be a few possible reasons:

- Time out when connecting: May be a web server issue (overloaded,
crashed, improper config, etc...)
- 404/Not Found: Site is available but a particular file/resource was not found.
- DNS Lookup Error: Wrong domain or IP address

Diagnosing the exact error and the root cause of it can be complex but
a few basic things you can try are:

- Make sure you actually have Internet access. Try some random sites
and make sure they work.
- Load the site with your web browser. Note the error that comes up. A
404 means your site is responding but couldn't find the file. A
timeout could mean a server or network issue. A DNS error probably
means something is wrong with the DNS setup.
- Try with a few different pages including static and dynamic. If some
work and some don't it could be something misconfigured.
- If you can't access via the domain name try the IP address directly.
If the IP address works it is likely a DNS or VirtualHosts issue
- Try telnet/ssh/ftp into your server via domain and IP address. If
this doesn't work at all then there is likely a network or server
issue. It could be a network issue anywhere between you and your
server.
- Try accessing your hosting companies web page (assuming they have
one). If they are down it may be an issue on their end (not likely but
it does happen).

This should give at least a rough idea in what area the problem lies
in and will let you investigate further to find and fix the issue.

On 1 October 2012 16:21, Andrew Jablonski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I wrote a message on Friday about some linking/path issues I was having to
> get the wiki to load properly. I fixed the problem by making $wgScriptPath
> = ""
>
> This worked immediately and I was able to edit/fix up the site. As of this
> morning, the website will not load with "server not found" errors. I also
> enabled caching and changed registration permissions. I'm wondering if this
> is due to some change I may have made, or if it is a problem with my ISP.
>
> Thanks,
> -Andrew

Dave Humphrey -- [hidden email]
Founder/Server Admin of the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages -- www.uesp.net

Re: Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

Andrew Jablonski
Hi Dave,

Both static and dynamic pages do not load. When I manually enter the IP I
get a page that loads and says pageok. Also I can FTP into the actual
server and make changes.

On firefox the error says: server not found. On chrome it simply says Oops:
Google Chrome could not find.

Thanks,
-Andrew
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Dave Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Depending on the exact error there could be a few possible reasons:
>
> - Time out when connecting: May be a web server issue (overloaded,
> crashed, improper config, etc...)
> - 404/Not Found: Site is available but a particular file/resource was not
> found.
> - DNS Lookup Error: Wrong domain or IP address
>
> Diagnosing the exact error and the root cause of it can be complex but
> a few basic things you can try are:
>
> - Make sure you actually have Internet access. Try some random sites
> and make sure they work.
> - Load the site with your web browser. Note the error that comes up. A
> 404 means your site is responding but couldn't find the file. A
> timeout could mean a server or network issue. A DNS error probably
> means something is wrong with the DNS setup.
> - Try with a few different pages including static and dynamic. If some
> work and some don't it could be something misconfigured.
> - If you can't access via the domain name try the IP address directly.
> If the IP address works it is likely a DNS or VirtualHosts issue
> - Try telnet/ssh/ftp into your server via domain and IP address. If
> this doesn't work at all then there is likely a network or server
> issue. It could be a network issue anywhere between you and your
> server.
> - Try accessing your hosting companies web page (assuming they have
> one). If they are down it may be an issue on their end (not likely but
> it does happen).
>
> This should give at least a rough idea in what area the problem lies
> in and will let you investigate further to find and fix the issue.
>
> On 1 October 2012 16:21, Andrew Jablonski
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I wrote a message on Friday about some linking/path issues I was having
> > get the wiki to load properly. I fixed the problem by making
> $wgScriptPath
> > = ""
> >
> > This worked immediately and I was able to edit/fix up the site. As of
> this
> > morning, the website will not load with "server not found" errors. I also
> > enabled caching and changed registration permissions. I'm wondering if
> this
> > is due to some change I may have made, or if it is a problem with my ISP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Andrew

> Dave Humphrey -- [hidden email]
> Founder/Server Admin of the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages -- www.uesp.net

Re: Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

WJhonson

You can enter the ip number and get your home page
But if you enter the domain name you get an error
That's DNS

> [...]

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I wrote a message on Friday about some linking/path issues I was having
> > get the wiki to load properly. I fixed the problem by making
> $wgScriptPath
> > = ""
> >
> > This worked immediately and I was able to edit/fix up the site. As of
> this
> > morning, the website will not load with "server not found" errors. I also
> > enabled caching and changed registration permissions. I'm wondering if
> this
> > is due to some change I may have made, or if it is a problem with my ISP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Andrew

> Dave Humphrey -- [hidden email]
> Founder/Server Admin of the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages -- www.uesp.net

Re: Can editing the localsettings.php file cause DNS problems?

Jan Steinman
> From: Wjhonson <[hidden email]>
>
> You can enter the ip number and get your home page
> But if you enter the domain name you get an error
> That's DNS

Unless your server is using virtual names, in which the IP address may not give you the website you expect, because the same IP address is being used for more than one domain name.

That's a minor quibble, but it has confused me many times when debugging DNS problems...

:::: Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law. -- Louis D. Brandeis