[MediaWiki-l] Cannot access the database

[MediaWiki-l] Cannot access the database

Daryl Rose
Hello,

I just moved an existing environment from a SLES 11 SP4  xampp/Bitnami
installation to a CentOS 7.4, Apache, MySQL, PHP environment. There were
security issues with the original installation, so I had to move to
something that I could upgrade components when as vulnerabilities are
discovered.

According to the documentation, I should be able to export/import the
database and then copy over the MediaWiki directory, and all should me
good. Well, there are a couple of minor gotcha's in the doc's, but for the
most part, it's pretty straight forward.

I had a few minor issues with the php, but once I got that figured out, I
now get a page that tells me that the site is experiencing technical
difficulties (Cannot access the database).

I've verified that the database name, user name and password are correct.
From the command line, I can access the database using the database user
and I can see the tables.

I'm not a DBA or a developer, so I'm not sure where to start
troubleshooting.  Other than verifying that the credentials are correct.

The original installation was PHP v5.6.12 and the new installation is PHP
v5.6.32.  Other than that, I believe everything else is the same.
MediaWiki is V1.25.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks

Daryl

Re: Cannot access the database

Brian Wolff
First of all, Mediawiki 1.25 is out of date and has publically known
security vulnerabilities. You should upgrade.

For the error, I would start by checking $wgDBServer. If your db is on the
same host as mediawiki and commandline is working, it could be something
like using network vs local socket. If 'localhost' is not working try
'127.0.0.1' instead (or vice versa)

Beyond that, I would look into if there is anything preventing mediawiki
from talking to the db (e.g. firewall, selinux, etc)

--
bawolff

On Friday, November 17, 2017, Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just moved an existing environment from a SLES 11 SP4  xampp/Bitnami
> installation to a CentOS 7.4, Apache, MySQL, PHP environment. There were
> security issues with the original installation, so I had to move to
> something that I could upgrade components when as vulnerabilities are
> discovered.
>
> According to the documentation, I should be able to export/import the
> database and then copy over the MediaWiki directory, and all should me
> good. Well, there are a couple of minor gotcha's in the doc's, but for the
> most part, it's pretty straight forward.
>
> I had a few minor issues with the php, but once I got that figured out, I
> now get a page that tells me that the site is experiencing technical
> difficulties (Cannot access the database).
>
> I've verified that the database name, user name and password are correct.
> From the command line, I can access the database using the database user
> and I can see the tables.
>
> I'm not a DBA or a developer, so I'm not sure where to start
> troubleshooting.  Other than verifying that the credentials are correct.
>
> The original installation was PHP v5.6.12 and the new installation is PHP
> v5.6.32.  Other than that, I believe everything else is the same.
> MediaWiki is V1.25.
>
> Any suggestions on where to start looking?
>
> Thanks
>
> Daryl

Re: Cannot access the database

Daryl Rose
Brian,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I know that v1.25 is out of date and needs to be upgraded.  I'll
tackle that once I get it migrated over to a new environment.

The original environment *WAS *an XAMPP and was installed as a Bitnami
package.  Because of security vulnerabilities, the entire environment needs
to be upgraded.  But because I used XAMPP, I can't upgrade Apache, or MySQL
or PHP.  I would have to wipe out the entire install and do a fresh
install.  That is not acceptable, so I decided to do what I should have
done the first time, install Apache, MySQL, PHP and Mediawiki as individual
components.

Even though I was successful at accessing the database from the command
line, and verifying the contents, I decided to change the password and
tried the wiki site again.  This time I received an error saying that it
could not find the front page.  This is actually a step forward.  This is
telling me that it connected to the database.

So now I'm facing path issues.  The intitial install was
"/opt/lampp/apps/mediawiki/htdocs".  The new path is "/var/www/html".
After changing the database password, I got the following URL:

"<FQDN>/mediawiki/Main_Page".  I looked in LocalSettings.php and saw that
"$wgArticlePath" was set to "/mediawiki/$1".  I removed "mediawiki" from
the path, stop/started Apache, but now I get "<FQDN>/Main_Page" in the url
bar, and "The requested URL /Main_Page was not found on this server".
Looking a little deeper, I see "$wgScriptPath" set to "/mediawiki".  I know
that isn't correct, so I changed it ".".  I didn't know if that would work
or not.  Apparently not.

There is still a path issue somewhere, but I'm not sure where.  I know that
in the database I saw ""/opt/lampp/apps/mediawiki", but I don't want to
start changing paths in the database until I know that I can at least bring
up the main page.  If there is a path in the database that I need to
change, please let me know where to look.

Thank you.

Daryl

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First of all, Mediawiki 1.25 is out of date and has publically known
> security vulnerabilities. You should upgrade.
>
> For the error, I would start by checking $wgDBServer. If your db is on the
> same host as mediawiki and commandline is working, it could be something
> like using network vs local socket. If 'localhost' is not working try
> '127.0.0.1' instead (or vice versa)
>
> Beyond that, I would look into if there is anything preventing mediawiki
> from talking to the db (e.g. firewall, selinux, etc)
>
> --
> bawolff
>
> On Friday, November 17, 2017, Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just moved an existing environment from a SLES 11 SP4  xampp/Bitnami
> > installation to a CentOS 7.4, Apache, MySQL, PHP environment. There were
> > security issues with the original installation, so I had to move to
> > something that I could upgrade components when as vulnerabilities are
> > discovered.
> >
> > According to the documentation, I should be able to export/import the
> > database and then copy over the MediaWiki directory, and all should me
> > good. Well, there are a couple of minor gotcha's in the doc's, but for
> the
> > most part, it's pretty straight forward.
> >
> > I had a few minor issues with the php, but once I got that figured out, I
> > now get a page that tells me that the site is experiencing technical
> > difficulties (Cannot access the database).
> >
> > I've verified that the database name, user name and password are correct.
> > From the command line, I can access the database using the database user
> > and I can see the tables.
> >
> > I'm not a DBA or a developer, so I'm not sure where to start
> > troubleshooting.  Other than verifying that the credentials are correct.
> >
> > The original installation was PHP v5.6.12 and the new installation is PHP
> > v5.6.32.  Other than that, I believe everything else is the same.
> > MediaWiki is V1.25.
> >
> > Any suggestions on where to start looking?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Daryl

Re: Cannot access the database

John Doe-27
I would use a folder and not place mediawiki in the root of web server

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I had a few minor issues with the php, but once I got that figured
> out, I
> > > now get a page that tells me that the site is experiencing technical
> > > difficulties (Cannot access the database).
> > >
> > > I've verified that the database name, user name and password are
> correct.
> > > From the command line, I can access the database using the database
> user
> > > and I can see the tables.
> > >
> > > I'm not a DBA or a developer, so I'm not sure where to start
> > > troubleshooting.  Other than verifying that the credentials are
> correct.
> > >
> > > The original installation was PHP v5.6.12 and the new installation is
> PHP
> > > v5.6.32.  Other than that, I believe everything else is the same.
> > > MediaWiki is V1.25.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on where to start looking?

John,

Are you suggesting that I create a sub-directory call "Mediawiki" and put
the wiki there?

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Daryl

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> bring
> > up the main page.  If there is a path in the database that I need to
> > change, please let me know where to look.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Daryl
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > First of all, Mediawiki 1.25 is out of date and has publically known
> > > security vulnerabilities. You should upgrade.
> > >
> > > For the error, I would start by checking $wgDBServer. If your db is on
> > the
> > > same host as mediawiki and commandline is working, it could be
> something
> > > like using network vs local socket. If 'localhost' is not working try
> > > '127.0.0.1' instead (or vice versa)
> > >
> > > Beyond that, I would look into if there is anything preventing
> mediawiki
> > > from talking to the db (e.g. firewall, selinux, etc)

I moved the entire wiki to a sub-directory called "mediawiki".  Pointed the
DocumentRoot to the path "/var/www/html/mediawiki", stop/started Apache.
I'm still getting  the same error:

*The requested URL /mediawiki/Main_Page was not found on this server.*

Is there another setting that I'm missing?

> [...]

> bring
> > up the main page.  If there is a path in the database that I need to
> > change, please let me know where to look.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Daryl
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > First of all, Mediawiki 1.25 is out of date and has publically known
> > > security vulnerabilities. You should upgrade.
> > >
> > > For the error, I would start by checking $wgDBServer. If your db is on
> > the
> > > same host as mediawiki and commandline is working, it could be
> something
> > > like using network vs local socket. If 'localhost' is not working try
> > > '127.0.0.1' instead (or vice versa)
> > >
> > > Beyond that, I would look into if there is anything preventing
> mediawiki
> > > from talking to the db (e.g. firewall, selinux, etc)

As I said leaving mediawiki in the root (pointing DocumentRoot to the
mediawiki directory) is not recommended. When I set up a wiki I tend to put
the code in /wiki and use rewrite rules to make /w the clean URLs. I would
also check your rewrite rules too. Try going directly to your index.php page

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> from
> > > the path, stop/started Apache, but now I get "<FQDN>/Main_Page" in the
> > url
> > > bar, and "The requested URL /Main_Page was not found on this server".
> > > Looking a little deeper, I see "$wgScriptPath" set to "/mediawiki".  I
> > know
> > > that isn't correct, so I changed it ".".  I didn't know if that would
> > work
> > > or not.  Apparently not.
> > >
> > > There is still a path issue somewhere, but I'm not sure where.  I know
> > that
> > > in the database I saw ""/opt/lampp/apps/mediawiki", but I don't want to
> > > start changing paths in the database until I know that I can at least
> > bring
> > > up the main page.  If there is a path in the database that I need to
> > > change, please let me know where to look.

As I posted previously, I am not an Apache admin.  I know very little about
it, and I know nothing of rewrite rules.

I had previously tried going directly to the index.php, and I get
redirected to the "<FQDN>/mediawiki/Main_Page".

Thanks

Daryl

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I said leaving mediawiki in the root (pointing DocumentRoot to the
> mediawiki directory) is not recommended. When I set up a wiki I tend to put
> the code in /wiki and use rewrite rules to make /w the clean URLs. I would
> also check your rewrite rules too. Try going directly to your index.php
> page
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > John,
> >
> > I moved the entire wiki to a sub-directory called "mediawiki".  Pointed
> the
> >  DocumentRoot to the path "/var/www/html/mediawiki", stop/started Apache.
>
> I'm still getting  the same error:
> >
> > *The requested URL /mediawiki/Main_Page was not found on this server.*
> >
> > Is there another setting that I'm missing?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Daryl
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I would use a folder and not place mediawiki in the root of web server

> Bitnami
> > > needs
> > > MySQL
> have
> > > individual

> command
> and
> > it
> This
> > is

> "/var/www/html".

> > that
> > from
> the
> > > url
> > > know
> > > work

> know
> > > that
> > > bring

> known

> > on
> > > something
> try

> > > mediawiki

> > > xampp/Bitnami
> There
> > are

> > the
> should
> > > me
> but
> > > for

> figured
> > technical

> database

> installation
> > is

Re: Cannot access the database

John Doe-27
Then it would appear that your rewrite rules are messed up:

<wm-bot>To create simple URLs (such as the /wiki/PAGENAME style URLs on
Wikimedia sites), follow the instructions at <http://www.mediawiki.
org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL> or try the new beta tool at <http://shorturls.
redwerks.org/>. There are instructions for most different webserver setups.
If you have problems getting the rewrite rules to work, see !rewriteproblem

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > As I said leaving mediawiki in the root (pointing DocumentRoot to the
> > mediawiki directory) is not recommended. When I set up a wiki I tend to
> put
> > the code in /wiki and use rewrite rules to make /w the clean URLs. I
> would
> > also check your rewrite rules too. Try going directly to your index.php
> > page
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Daryl Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > John,
> > >
> > > I moved the entire wiki to a sub-directory called "mediawiki".  Pointed
> > the
> > >  DocumentRoot to the path "/var/www/html/mediawiki", stop/started
> Apache.
> >
> > I'm still getting  the same error:
> > >
> > > *The requested URL /mediawiki/Main_Page was not found on this server.*
> > >
> > > Is there another setting that I'm missing?

Thank you.  I was able to get the rewrite rules to work.  I now have the
wiki on a new host.

Daryl