[MediaWiki-l] Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

[MediaWiki-l] Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

Temlakos
List members:

I have a strange problem to report tonight. I will try to give as much
information as possible.

As part of an upgrade of a MediaWiki 1.14 installation to 1.25, I
installed the Math extension on my server. This is a fully-dedicated
server to which I have root and ssh access. I even made sure to place
instances of every conceivably required executable in the /usr/bin
directory, where any user, including system users, could access it. That
includes texvc, texvccheck, and texvc-everything else, in addition to
the classic LaTeX executables.

I just went through the full routine to troubleshoot math rendition errors:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Troubleshooting_math_display_errors#.22Failed_to_parse_.28PNG_conversion_failed.3B_check_for_correct_installation_of_latex.2C_dvips.2C_gs.2C_and_convert.29.22

ls -lH `which gs` `which latex` `which dvips` `which convert`

Check.

ls -lH `which dvipng`

Check.

texvc /home/wiki/tmp /home/wiki/math "y=x+2"

And here is where I start having some problems.

When I create a directory called "images" in a /private/ directory
(~/private), and in that directory I create the directories "math" and
"tmp," and then run

texvc images/tmp images/math "y=x+2"

I get an output that shows the steps it took to render that math. The
output ends with one of the generated tags. And when I go to the
directory ~/private/images/math, there lies a new file. I download that
onto my own machine, and it shows the display I expected. In fact, here
it is, attached.

Now: I go to public_html, or, say, public_html_ru (or any of several
second-language directories for second-language versions of my wiki),
and execute

texvc images/tmp images/math "y=x+2"

I get almost the same output as before. Almost. To the last tag, I see
appended a minus sign.

Then I look in the math subdirectory. NO FILE.

So I tried building a new math subdirectory in a dummy images file. The
texvc program executed flawlessly. Then I copied that recursively to the
Russian CreationWiki images directory, and ran the texvc command again.
NO FILE. And a minus sign at the end.

Now I see the modern MediaWiki puts a directory called "lockdir" in the
images file (but not the math directory).

Why should that make any difference?!?

Let me anticipate the solution some of you are going to recommend: why
don't I just use "Mathoid" for all maths? Well, a funny thing happened
over the weekend when I tried that. The Mathoid service had a crash.
It's down. And you know what? It's still down. For everybody. I checked
that out with the site "Is It Down for Everyone or Just Me." Result:
"It's not just you! This site looks down from here."

http://mathoid.testme.wmflabs.org%27/

Besides: my associates and I pay good money for a fully dedicated server
with root and secure-shell service. We expect to be able to install
LaTeX on it and to have it work consistently whenever I specify
temporary and permanent math-image-storage directories that do exist. We
can't understand why the executable should work sometimes, but not other
times. Nor why it should quit working when all I do is copy in another
directory!

I've asked my associate to submit a trouble ticket with our Web hosts. I
start to wonder whether I am seeing some kind of security issue that is
stopping LaTeX and the texvc program from executing on any directory
that "looks funny."

But I thought I'd check with you guys as well, in case I'm missing
something.

Other data: the setenforce 0 and setenforce 1 commands both return
"selinux has been disabled." Make of that what you will, but to me is
looks as though our hosts didn't want to encumber us with that. (I don't
know exactly what distro of Linux we're running--maybe CentOs. It's some
kind of Red Hat-derived service, because it uses the "rpm" package
system and "yum" to install. Both of which I know like the back of my
hand. I used those to install most LaTeX executables, plus "ocaml" so I
could make "texvc" and its associated applications.

User "Temlakos"

daa63ef966cc412541190bc8794731de.png (542 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

Zenon Panoussis

> I get almost the same output as before. Almost. To the last tag, I see appended a minus sign.
> Then I look in the math subdirectory. NO FILE.

I smell permissions. Are you doing this as root? If not, try
again as root.

On 08/03/2015 06:39 PM, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
>> I get almost the same output as before. Almost. To the last tag, I see appended a minus sign.
>> Then I look in the math subdirectory. NO FILE.
> I smell permissions. Are you doing this as root? If not, try
> again as root.

OK. Here is the full dialog:

root@creationwiki02 [~]# cd /home/jcreatio/public_html
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html]# texvc images/tmp
images/math "y=x+2"
[/home/jcreatio/public_html]# cd images/math
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/images/math]# ls
./  ../  0/  1/  2/  3/  4/  5/  6/  7/  8/  9/  a/  b/  c/  d/  e/ f/
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/images/math]# cd ../../ru
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/ru]# texvc images/tmp
images/math "y=x+2"
[/home/jcreatio/public_html/ru]# cd images/math
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/ru/images/math]# ls
./  ../  1/  2/  3/  4/  7/  8/  9/  a/  b/  c/  d/  f/
root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/ru/images/math]#

As you can see, I get nothing. No file. And it ends with the minus sign.
The terminal minus sign is the signal of failure. With it, I find no
file. Without it, I do find a file.

Temlakos

Re: Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

Zenon Panoussis

I must tell you up front that I know absolutely nothing about texvc.
Never heard of it until you posted and I looked it up. However, your
original problem description says that it works in one directory and
it doesn't work in another. Logic then says that the problem is not
texvc. And you have also established that the problem is not selinux,
thank god and your ISP.

> OK. Here is the full dialog:

> root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html]# cd images/math
> root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/images/math]# ls
> ./  ../  0/  1/  2/  3/  4/  5/  6/  7/  8/  9/  a/  b/  c/  d/  e/ f/

I don't see any files there. Try 'find /home/jcreatio/public_html -type f' .

But I do see that you got an "</mn>-" ending in both cases. If the - at
the end means failure, then the command must have failed in both directories.
But you actually found and posted the output file of the first command in
your original posting. How could that file have been created, if the
command output ended in "</mn>-"?

There is a misunderstanding somewhere here, but, not knowing anything
about texvc, I can't nail it.

Re: Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

Temlakos
Here's the thing: when texvc can create the file, its output ends in
"</mn>". No minus sign. That one character is the one difference in
command-line output between success and failure.

I would agree: logic dictates the problem has to do with some kind of
permission I can't even see.

Temlakos

PS: the Mathoid public service, as I said before, is still down. I've
tried several times to figure out how to get Mathoid running on my
server, but can't make head nor tail of it. If anyone can tell me how to
install that, get it running, and configure it, I might fall back on
that. Anything's better than being stuck with a static set of pretty
maths. (Anything, that is, other than never seeing pretty maths again.)

Temlakos

On 08/03/2015 07:22 PM, Zenon Panoussis wrote:

> I must tell you up front that I know absolutely nothing about texvc.
> Never heard of it until you posted and I looked it up. However, your
> original problem description says that it works in one directory and
> it doesn't work in another. Logic then says that the problem is not
> texvc. And you have also established that the problem is not selinux,
> thank god and your ISP.
>
>> OK. Here is the full dialog:
>> root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html]# cd images/math
>> root@creationwiki02 [/home/jcreatio/public_html/images/math]# ls
>> ./  ../  0/  1/  2/  3/  4/  5/  6/  7/  8/  9/  a/  b/  c/  d/  e/ f/
> I don't see any files there. Try 'find /home/jcreatio/public_html -type f' .
>
> But I do see that you got an "</mn>-" ending in both cases. If the - at
> the end means failure, then the command must have failed in both directories.
> But you actually found and posted the output file of the first command in
> your original posting. How could that file have been created, if the
> command output ended in "</mn>-"?
>
> There is a misunderstanding somewhere here, but, not knowing anything
> about texvc, I can't nail it.

Re: Cannot create new math, but can still display old math

Moritz Schubotz-2
Hi Temlakos,

I think the mathoid server is running ok. You can test via
curl -d "q=E=mc^2" mathoid.testme.wmflabs.org

I would suggest to test with an example that does not generate mathml
like for instance

./texvc /tmp /tmp '\sqrt[3]{\frac12}'
for me the output is
+a251aea8870f7ad602a82e5c0109a3a3
and I have the expected png output
ls /tmp/a251aea8870f7ad602a82e5c0109a3a3.png -la
-rw-r--r-- 1 physikerwelt wikidev 868 Aug  4 07:22
/tmp/a251aea8870f7ad602a82e5c0109a3a3.png

you should also check texvccheck in the texvccheck subfolder
/texvccheck$ ./texvccheck '\sqrt[3]{\frac12}'
+{\sqrt[ {3}]{{\frac  12}}}

I guess you have a permissions problem with your webserver does not
have write access to
/home/jcreatio/public_html/images/math

The permissions of my math folder are
drwxr-xr-x 18 www-data www-data 4.0K Jul 31 07:38 math

as root user you can change the permission for the math folder somehow
like that:
1) cd /home/jcreatio/public_html/images/
2) chown www-data math -R
3) chmod 755 math -R

Best
Physikerwelt