[MediaWiki-l] Data Import

Khaled Soubani
I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits in a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this data. I am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links or info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

John Doe-27
What kind of data is in the database?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits in
> a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this data. I
> am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links or
> info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

Yaron Koren-2
What does the data look like, and what do you mean by populating the wiki
pages with it?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits in
> a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this data. I
> am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links or
> info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

Yaron Koren-2
(Oops, I didn't see the previous email.)

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What does the data look like, and what do you mean by populating the wiki
> pages with it?
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits
>> in a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this
>> data. I am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links
>> or info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

Khaled Soubani
Thanks for the reply. About 50,000 records of utf8 text in MySQL tables to be be either uploaded to wiki or linked to a separate database. Khaled.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data
> sits in a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with
> this data. I am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please
> sen links or info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

Khaled Soubani
Thanks for the reply. About 50,000 records of utf8 text in MySQL tables to be be either uploaded to wiki or linked to a separate database. Khaled.

What does the data look like, and what do you mean by populating the wiki pages with it?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data
> sits in a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with
> this data. I am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please
> sen links or info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com _______________________________________________

Re: Data Import

John Doe-27
Khaled, your response was extremely unhelpful. Yes we know you have a
database. What is in it, and how do you want it imported to mediawiki?
Mediawiki isn't a magical piece of software for all issues

On Friday, August 5, 2016, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. About 50,000 records of utf8 text in MySQL tables to
> be be either uploaded to wiki or linked to a separate database. Khaled.

rich.greder
Could you describe the database data.  Log into mysql and find out some information about the databases.  Here is a start.

use MyDatabase;
show tables;

and for the tables you are interested in, type something like

describe MyTableName;

and show us the result.  Currently we have no idea if this is a catalog of every Edison Disc record ever made or something more abstract, such as machine generated data gathered from web bots.  The application, interpretation and plan to migration are highly variable depending on the type of data.

Timothy Legg

On 8/5/2016 at 12:22 PM, "John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Khaled, your response was extremely unhelpful. Yes we know you
>have a
>database. What is in it, and how do you want it imported to
>mediawiki?
>Mediawiki isn't a magical piece of software for all issues
>
>On Friday, August 5, 2016, Khaled Soubani <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply. About 50,000 records of utf8 text in MySQL
>tables to
>> be be either uploaded to wiki or linked to a separate database.
>Khaled.

John Foster-2
Just a bit of guessing. If this is a database of material that is not the
result of a populated mediawiki, then putting it into a mediawiki database
is possible, but it will not be properly formated for viewing. You need to
say what the relationship is. Also if the data is in the xxxx.sql format,
it will be easier to import it using phpmyadmin. If it is from a mediawiki
export in the xxxx.xml format, the use the
/mywikixx/maintenance/importDump.php  command from the shell.

John Foster

On Aug 5, 2016 9:59 AM, "Khaled Soubani" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits in
> a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this data. I
> am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links or
> info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

Re: Data Import

Jan Steinman-2
> I am privately hosting a public wiki (Media Wiki 1.27.0). The data sits in a local MySQL database. I want to populate the wiki pages with this data. I am unable to find any documentation to solve this. Please sen links or info. Best Regards, Khaled Soubani.

The nature of the data you wish to import is unclear, as is the desired presentation.

Is this data an existing MediaWiki site? If so, I would try upgrading the existing MediaWiki, and it should convert the data, which you can then import into the new wiki using standard SQL techniques.

If you want to present other MySQL data alien to MediaWiki, I have an extension that may be useful to you that allows tabular display from standard SQL statements, maintained from within MediaWiki. It has some nice enhancements, like pagination and being able to keep a running total, eliding long texts, and basic (non-resizing) image display. Here is an example:

        http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Dairy_production/15

Let me know if you want the extension and I will email it to you. I’d post it in the MediaWiki extensions library, but I’m always working on it… :-)

    Jan Steinman
    EcoReality Co-op, http://www.EcoReality.org
    2152 Fulford-Ganges Road
    Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 1Z7 CANADA