[MediaWiki-l] Database exceeds size limit

[MediaWiki-l] Database exceeds size limit

Brett Langston
Hi everyone,

I'm using MW version 1.29.2 on a shared hosting server  (PHP 7.2.13 and MySQL 5.5.60).  I've inadvertently exceeded the ISP's 1GB size limit of the database, with the result that I can't make any further changes. The wiki is still up and running, but I can't edit or delete content, no users can log in, and none of the PHP scripts will run from the maintenance shell extension. Because it's a shared hosting server, I don't have direct shell access to run PHP scripts.

My ISP has suggested that I reduce the size of the database using MySQL, so I can get it back under the threshold limit, and 'unfreeze' everything. In theory I should be able to delete unwanted old versions of pages in the usual way to free up space.

Using MySQL I've emptied the archive table (only 256 kb), but I need to be able to clear another 10 Mb or so without corrupting the database. What else can I delete safely to avoid crashing the wiki?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Brett

Re: Database exceeds size limit

Bartosz Dziewoński
You can empty the ‘objectcache’ table. Data in it will be computed again
when needed. Note that doing this may also cause all users to get logged
out, depending on your wiki configuration.

--
Matma Rex

Re: Database exceeds size limit

Hershel Robinson
I would actually consider using another host -- one that would have
the decency to make an exception and let your DB go past 1 GB for just
one day so that you could reduce its size.

Beyond that, however, you could consider exporting some data in SQL
format, like the user table, for example, and then deleting all users
except yours. Then you make your fixes and then after, you restore
that table.

Another idea would be to empty the other tables that end in "cache" as
that should generally be safe.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can empty the ‘objectcache’ table. Data in it will be computed again
> when needed. Note that doing this may also cause all users to get logged
> out, depending on your wiki configuration.
>
> --
> Matma Rex

http://civihosting.com/
Simply the best in shared hosting

Re: Database exceeds size limit

Brett Langston
Thanks for the suggestions. By deleting the cache tables, and the oldest entries from the logging table, I've been able to reduce the size to below 1GB and get back control of the wiki for now. It looks like I need to find an ISP with more hosting space in the longer term though.

Cheers,

Brett

Re: Database exceeds size limit

John Doe-27
Might also look at what is using your space and  see if it can be optimized.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Brett Langston <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. By deleting the cache tables, and the oldest
> entries from the logging table, I've been able to reduce the size to below
> 1GB and get back control of the wiki for now. It looks like I need to find
> an ISP with more hosting space in the longer term though.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brett

Brian Wolff
I agree with John, it would be interesting to know the sizes of the various
tables. While 1 GB is a relatively small limit for a DB, its still a lot of
space for a small wiki (I think you can find how big different tables are
via
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9620198/how-to-get-the-sizes-of-the-tables-of-a-mysql-database
).

As others have said, the object cache table can generally be purged quite
regularly if its becoming too big, if its repeatedly growing too fast,
figuring out what types of keys (keyname) are taking up most of the room
can be suggestive of what config changes could be made (Of course, best
config change would be to use a different cache backend)

The other table that is commonly large is the text table. If this is big,
it can be compressed. First and foremost by putting $wgCompressRevisions =
true; in LocalSettings.php (which will make all newly saved pages
compressed). You can also run compressOld.php in maintenance to compress
old revisions (This script can concat old pages which optimizes compression
better then what $wgCompressRevisions can do by itself, so it makes sense
to run it even if you started with $wgCompressRevisions = true from the get
go). See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CompressOld.php for more
info (Generally it is a good idea to take a backup before messing with old
revisions)

--
Brian

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 6:52 PM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might also look at what is using your space and  see if it can be
> optimized.
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Brett Langston <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions. By deleting the cache tables, and the oldest
> > entries from the logging table, I've been able to reduce the size to
> below
> > 1GB and get back control of the wiki for now. It looks like I need to
> find
> > an ISP with more hosting space in the longer term though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Brett

Amir Sarabadani-2
One thing that can be useful is to check which tables are big. If it's
logging table, try disabling RCPatrolling (or upgrading to 1.32 so it
doesn't log autopatrol actions). If it's revision table, upgrading might
help with actor table migration and then you just set it to "write new/read
new" so it writes on the normalized tables. Same goes for change_tag table.

HTH
Best

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:19 PM Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with John, it would be interesting to know the sizes of the various
> tables. While 1 GB is a relatively small limit for a DB, its still a lot of
> space for a small wiki (I think you can find how big different tables are
> via
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9620198/how-to-get-the-sizes-of-the-tables-of-a-mysql-database
> ).
>
> As others have said, the object cache table can generally be purged quite
> regularly if its becoming too big, if its repeatedly growing too fast,
> figuring out what types of keys (keyname) are taking up most of the room
> can be suggestive of what config changes could be made (Of course, best
> config change would be to use a different cache backend)
>
> The other table that is commonly large is the text table. If this is big,
> it can be compressed. First and foremost by putting $wgCompressRevisions =
> true; in LocalSettings.php (which will make all newly saved pages
> compressed). You can also run compressOld.php in maintenance to compress
> old revisions (This script can concat old pages which optimizes compression
> better then what $wgCompressRevisions can do by itself, so it makes sense
> to run it even if you started with $wgCompressRevisions = true from the get
> go). See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CompressOld.php for more
> info (Generally it is a good idea to take a backup before messing with old
> revisions)
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 6:52 PM John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Might also look at what is using your space and  see if it can be
> > optimized.
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Brett Langston <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the suggestions. By deleting the cache tables, and the
> oldest
> > > entries from the logging table, I've been able to reduce the size to
> > below
> > > 1GB and get back control of the wiki for now. It looks like I need to
> > find
> > > an ISP with more hosting space in the longer term though.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Brett

Amir

Re: Database exceeds size limit

Brett Langston
Hi Brian,

The text table takes up around 83% of the content, as there are around 8000 pages in the wiki, some of which are quite long and frequently edited. I didn't know about $wgCompressRevisions when I originally set the wiki up, but at the moment even maintenance scripts like deleteArchivedRevisions.php don't have enough free memory to run, so there's not much chance of successfully using compressOld.php now. All the cached tables have been truncated, and some of the logging table deleted, leaving just over 1Mb wiggle room for now.

The ISP is completely inflexible about the size limit, so the only long-term solution may be to create a new installation (with $wgCompressRevisions set) and import just the most recent versions of the pages into it.

Cheers,

Brett

I agree with John, it would be interesting to know the sizes of the various tables. While 1 GB is a relatively small limit for a DB, its still a lot of space for a small wiki (I think you can find how big different tables are via https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9620198/how-to-get-the-sizes-of-the-tables-of-a-mysql-database
).

As others have said, the object cache table can generally be purged quite regularly if its becoming too big, if its repeatedly growing too fast, figuring out what types of keys (keyname) are taking up most of the room can be suggestive of what config changes could be made (Of course, best config change would be to use a different cache backend)

The other table that is commonly large is the text table. If this is big, it can be compressed. First and foremost by putting $wgCompressRevisions = true; in LocalSettings.php (which will make all newly saved pages compressed). You can also run compressOld.php in maintenance to compress old revisions (This script can concat old pages which optimizes compression better then what $wgCompressRevisions can do by itself, so it makes sense to run it even if you started with $wgCompressRevisions = true from the get go). See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CompressOld.php for more info (Generally it is a good idea to take a backup before messing with old
revisions)

--
Brian

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 6:52 PM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might also look at what is using your space and  see if it can be
> optimized.
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Brett Langston <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions. By deleting the cache tables, and the
> > oldest entries from the logging table, I've been able to reduce the
> > size to
> below
> > 1GB and get back control of the wiki for now. It looks like I need
> find
> > an ISP with more hosting space in the longer term though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Brett

So free memory (RAM) would usually be a separate concern from DB space
available. deleteArchivedRevisions.php doesn't store anything in the DB,
but maybe creating a large transaction (e.g. The DELETE * FROM Archive; or
perhaps that it does an IN query containing every revision) requires a lot
of memory (I'm not sure).

You could try starting to use compressOld.php on a single page, to see if
it works better doing one page rather than doing all the pages. e.g. If you
know there's a page with lots of revisions, find its page id (i.e. via
?action=info). Say it has a page id of 20. You could try doing:

cd maintinance/storage
php compressOld.php -s 20 -n 21 -t concat -c 3

(The -c option specifies chunk size. Higher values will get better
compression ratio, but then it replaces more revisions at once which
probably uses more memory. Default is 20). No idea if that would work, but
maybe worth a short.

--
Brian