[MediaWiki-l] Does MediaWiki officially require JavaScript?

[MediaWiki-l] Does MediaWiki officially require JavaScript?

Huji Lee
The only documentation I can find about what is "required" for MW is about
what is required to install it, not what is required to use it.

MW uses JS in many places, and in some of those it also has backward
compatibility for no-script users, but is that always the case? Does MW
strive to be completely functional for those who disable JS?

The question is raised because in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192241
as we expanded the reliance of one of the MW extensions (namely
AbuseFilter) on JS, we got some push back. Note that AbuseFilter also
doesn't officially announce it requires JS even though it already contains
code that would not work with JS. We are considering making JS an official
requirement for AbuseFilter and would like to know how MW core approaches
the same question.

Huji

Re: Does MediaWiki officially require JavaScript?

Bartosz Dziewoński
MediaWiki provides "basic" support for no-JavaScript viewing. It is
targeted towards browsers that do not support JavaScript very well or at
all, but modern browsers with JavaScript disabled by the user get the
same experience.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Basic_(Grade_C)

"In the front-end this means content is presented in a readable manner,
and to some extent user actions can be performed, but these browsers do
not get JavaScript features."

For example, reading and editing pages is possible without JavaScript,
although you do not get some fancy features, such as e.g. sortable
tables or editing toolbar.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Does MediaWiki officially require JavaScript?

Huji Lee
Thanks for the link Bartosz.