[MediaWiki-l] Essential plugins

Ranieri Mazili
Hello,

I'm new to mediawiki and I'm trying it to my company... I want to
substitute our current wiki (wikispaces) by another one and I'm studying
some possibilities.
I just installed on my ubuntu and it's working but it's very simple.
I want to know which plugins you think are essential to install to have a
better media wiki.
I would like to have a better editor because the default doesn't have too
much options to format the text and one to create templates.
Do you recommend any plugin to get these resources and others to make it
more "usable"?

I really appreciate any help

Regards.

Re: Essential plugins

Bill Traynor-2
This really depends on what you'll be using the wiki for and whether
it's public or not.  However, for a general idea of what others have
installed, you can see a list of popular extensions on WikiApiary
here:  https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:Extensions

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Ranieri Mazili
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to mediawiki and I'm trying it to my company... I want to
> substitute our current wiki (wikispaces) by another one and I'm studying
> some possibilities.
> I just installed on my ubuntu and it's working but it's very simple.
> I want to know which plugins you think are essential to install to have a
> better media wiki.
> I would like to have a better editor because the default doesn't have too
> much options to format the text and one to create templates.
> Do you recommend any plugin to get these resources and others to make it
> more "usable"?
>
> I really appreciate any help
>
> Regards.

Re: Essential plugins

Antoine Musso-3
Le 18/01/2016 14:25, Bill Traynor a écrit :
> This really depends on what you'll be using the wiki for and whether
> it's public or not.  However, for a general idea of what others have
> installed, you can see a list of popular extensions on WikiApiary
> here:  https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:Extensions

Hello,

We also have a dashboard showing the most downloaded extensions from
Extension Distributor over the last 30 days:

https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/extension-distributor-downloads

For REL1_26 the top 10 is:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiEditor
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LdapAuthentication
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHiglight_GeSHI
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload

Note the MediaWiki tarballs come with bundled extensions as well. For
1.26.x they are:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CiteThisPage
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Gadgets
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageMap
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:InputBox
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Interwiki
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LocalisationUpdate
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Nuke
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Renameuser
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpamBlacklist
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TitleBlacklist
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiEditor

All other, it really depends on what your wiki is going to be used for :-}

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso